Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-21-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekan View Post
here's a link to the Y2Y stance on hunting, fishing, trapping:
https://y2y.net/about-us/policies/y2...fishing-policy

Doesn't sound too threatening to me.
Stephen Legault, the program director for Y2Y Alberta shared this on his Facebook page last year, speaking about the big horn and castle areas-

"there is a push by some hunting organizations to get hunting and trapping opportunities increased in this new protected area......I am not in favour ...and want to ensure that this area is protected so that wildlife on the boundaries of Banff and Jasper have some buffer zones that protect them from hunting and trapping

Also, ask a few of them their stance on predator hunting.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:21 AM

Not sure why some going after Don. He was the Alberta Fish & Game Environmental rep for Stony Plain AFGA for many years, did an excellent job, also hunter and Biologist training.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:31 AM

Y2Y had the news about the Castle Park posted on their main page early in the morning before Nutley had her press conference to announce the new Castle Park. Phillips was probably just rolling out from under a couple of those environmentalists about the same time.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Is there a group that supports hunting and fishing but is seriously concerned about protection of the backcountry environment?? I'm over 60 and still good with having to walk into some areas and carry or drag out what I harvest (and I'll be good with it when I'm to old to do it). Not trying to be cranky, just asking if there is such a body.

Yes; The Alberta Fish And Game Association!

https://www.afga.org/

Vic
Old 06-21-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
Stephen Legault, the program director for Y2Y Alberta shared this on his Facebook page last year, speaking about the big horn and castle areas-

"there is a push by some hunting organizations to get hunting and trapping opportunities increased in this new protected area......I am not in favour ...and want to ensure that this area is protected so that wildlife on the boundaries of Banff and Jasper have some buffer zones that protect them from hunting and trapping

Also, ask a few of them their stance on predator hunting.

Like the above shows they may not be 100% anti hunting but they definitely are not supporters of it being part of their “vision” of the Rockies.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Not sure why some going after Don. He was the Alberta Fish & Game Environmental rep for Stony Plain AFGA for many years, did an excellent job, also hunter and Biologist training.
I imagine it would have to do with his statements supporting ABHA.
Just do a quick search on this site.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:15 PM

Having a hard time buying that BHA is an arm of (and funded by) Y2Y.

Just does't make sense that some of the biggest hunting names/faces (and who's career reply on promoting hunting) such as Steven Rinella and Remi Warren would support BHA like they do if was so closely aligned with Y2Y.

Guessing there have been instances where BHA has been anti-quad / motorized access which are sparking these far fetched claims.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalewig View Post

Just does't make sense that some of the biggest hunting names/faces (and who's career reply on promoting hunting) such as Steven Rinella and Remi Warren would support BHA like they do if was so closely aligned with Y2Y.

Guessing there have been instances where BHA has been anti-quad / motorized access which are sparking these far fetched claims.
Only takes the tiniest little bit of research to turn up proof of the alignment. BHA was even listed in Y2Y documents a year or two ago. I'm not saying one funds the other, or vice versa, but they have cooperated in the past- and any person or organization (looking at you BHA)- who can't see the danger Y2Y poses toward Alberta outdoorsmen and women is either incredibly oblivious and shortsighted, or being disingenuous, and likely trying to disguise hidden motives.

Last edited by Wrongside; 06-21-2019 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrongside View Post
Only takes the tiniest little bit of research to turn up proof of the alignment.
Ya, but people are lazy, period. It’s just easier to say “I have a hard time believing that”. We’ve seen it many times before here, people too lazy to do a little proper research.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:21 PM

Old 06-21-2019, 11:47 PM

Y2Y = these folks. https://youtu.be/ElJFYwRtrH4

Yeah I know it’s extreme but so is Y2Y. Any affiliates are just meant to soften the blow so to speak.
Old 06-22-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
One name. Kevin Van Tighem.

Grizz
He was big chief of Banff Park, now this retired gov worker knows everything and anything about nothing. Waste of skin.
Old 06-22-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
Exactly. And they are dumb enough to believe Y2Y isn’t anti hunting. Y2Y won’t be happy until our west country is closed off to human activity. You are a fool if you believe otherwise...
I Used to be apart of BHA in Alberta until I learned more and more about their and Y2Y as well as the AWCA’s motives. Y2Y is anti hunting specifically anti hunting in any area in or close to the Rockies, they don’t have to say so to make it true.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalewig View Post

Each state/provincial chapter of BHA is independent and makes their own decisions. I highly doubt Land Tawney (or Remi or Steve) know or care about AVB or KVT and their anti-hunting antics, they have enough of a poop-show in the US to deal with.

Y2Y got its tentacles into ABHA leadership positions right from the start. Unfortunately a lot of guys hear about BHA on social media from well-respected personalities and assume the Alberta chapter is the same, without researching the previous activities of the board members.

Regarding the Y2Y connection, BHA in the US has addressed it repeatedly by saying they will work with anyone who shares similar ideas. they don’t seem to realize how they are being used