Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-15-2019, 12:44 PM

Default Is more better?

I’m refinishing a stock that was custom made by MCRS in Calgary. I didn’t like the finish he put on it, it was very soft and the marks on it were very visible. Other than that a nice piece of wood.

Sanded it all down by hand, about 3-4 hrs. Then got some antique furniture oil. I’ve now put 9 coats on it and wow does it ever look good. Some of the threads I’ve read say to put 20 coats on. Seems to me that you’d end up with quite a buildup with that many coats. What’s the advantage of so many coats?
Old 04-15-2019, 01:48 PM
Banned

Lightly sand in the oil and fill the grain. (600 grit) then wipe off excess let dry for 24 hours then repeat until when you shine a light at it and look at a angle you see no pores in the wood.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:56 PM

I have a lot of coats on some of my oil finished stocks. If it is still soaking in don't be afraid to put on another coat.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:45 PM

I was wondering about those pores. I didn’t sand the first few coats in, just applied it and got it as even as I could. Then sanded when dry to take off the roughness.

Thanks for the education.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:11 PM

If you warm the oil up, it absorbs faster, and cures a bit better I've noticed. After about 15 coats of oil on a walnut stock on a friends winchester lever action, I took and used buffing wheels and buffing compound to finish it off. He nearly cried he was so happy with it. The old cracked and oxidized lacquer was hiding some absolutely gorgeous wood under it. I wish I had good pics of it.

Keep oiling it until the whole surface builds up evenly. You'll know when it happens. It'll build up on the surface and be all scummy on the surface. I use steel wool to take that off, then buff and wax.