Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-15-2008, 06:51 PM

Default high price or low price arrows

I shot high priced easton top of line arrows last year and they worked well. But i was damaging a lot of arrows druring practice. This year i down graded a little for mid priced carbon easton arrows. Ive noticed 2 or 3 out of a doz dont fly well with b h's no matter what i do. Here is my question. How many of you shoot top dollar arrows? And do you feel they are worth the extra money? I'm torn between culling a few arrows here and there for hunting and then having the rest for targets. Or going with top dollar arrows and shooting expensive arrows at targets just to get damaged from the odd 80 hundred yard uuupppsss.lol. I'm just thinking 2 or 3 out of a doz don't shoot broad heads good no matter what. But they are good with f p 's. I only need 6 good ones for hunting anyway. Know what i mean?

Last edited by jaybull; 06-15-2008 at 06:55 PM. Reason: kant spell worth a krap. lol
Old 06-16-2008, 06:56 AM

Default Arrows

I've shot high end arrows and low end ones. The high end usually group slightly better. I always square the ends after cutting any arrow with a G5 arrow squaring device and seem to get way better results with all my arrows.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:57 PM

I pretty much stick to middle of the road, which sums me up in general...
Shot with a guy who had the best of everything and I think you know where I'm goin with that statement...chain

weight forward design shafts are the upper end now, right??
Old 06-16-2008, 09:17 PM

I shoot carbon express maxima hunter 250s weighted forward this year and last year I shot gold tip 400s my maxima hunters are more money and a way better arrow. I have tried 3 or 4 different bh this week on my maximas and all flew great so my thoughts are shoot good ones if you have the money to do so
Old 06-17-2008, 09:50 AM

okay, I just can't help myself here. Back in the old days we had a name for "weight forward" design...

Heavier broadhead, lighter vanes

And I should add I've been hunting with ACC for the last 4 years.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:13 AM

I personally would stay cheap to practice, then pick 5 or 6 that fly the best with broadheads. Grade them from best to worst and number accordingly, then load your quiver in sequence. It is bowhunting, your first shot really counts.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
I personally would stay cheap to practice, then pick 5 or 6 that fly the best with broadheads. Grade them from best to worst and number accordingly, then load your quiver in sequence. It is bowhunting, your first shot really counts.
My hunting partner introduced me to that same practice up in bear camp this spring.......definately a bit more work but definately makes sense and in a perfect world, all you need is one arrow I shoot mid line priced arrows and have started doing what 220swifty is doing.
Marco
Old 06-19-2008, 07:44 AM

Just my thought, but if my arrows are all built right. Nocks are straight (don't assume that they are) broadheads are straight and the vanes are done correctly. The arrows will all fly about the same. I'm far too anal when I start grading arrows. I'd be plotting each one on Archers Advantage or some other software (seriously I would be). Data trumps bias.

I have some wierd preferences, I like even numbers over odd numbers, and then I prefer number 4 over the others etc. (superstition) For example last year I got my deer & elk with my #4 arrow, and that's generally the arrow I pick out of the quiver. I've also taken a shine arrows numbered 7. Disliked arrows numbered 3, 5 & 8. Used arrow #1 just because it's arrow number 1 and so on. My bad arrows strangely enough tend to nearly always be #10 & 11 while arrow #13 will be neither bad nor great. My brain does some pretty unreasonable things that introduce bias.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I'm just saying watching for those "coincidences" sometimes I've renumbered arrows and they magically fix themselves and sometimes they don't.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
Just my thought, but if my arrows are all built right. Nocks are straight (don't assume that they are) broadheads are straight and the vanes are done correctly. The arrows will all fly about the same. I'm far too anal when I start grading arrows. I'd be plotting each one on Archers Advantage or some other software (seriously I would be). Data trumps bias.

I have some wierd preferences, I like even numbers over odd numbers, and then I prefer number 4 over the others etc. (superstition) For example last year I got my deer & elk with my #4 arrow, and that's generally the arrow I pick out of the quiver. I've also taken a shine arrows numbered 7. Disliked arrows numbered 3, 5 & 8. Used arrow #1 just because it's arrow number 1 and so on. My bad arrows strangely enough tend to nearly always be #10 & 11 while arrow #13 will be neither bad nor great. My brain does some pretty unreasonable things that introduce bias.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I'm just saying watching for those "coincidences" sometimes I've renumbered arrows and they magically fix themselves and sometimes they don't.
lol point takin.