Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-23-2019, 06:22 PM

Default Cabela’s North Edmonton

Is it just me or is their fishing department bare and anemic ? What’s happening to them?
Old 06-23-2019, 06:50 PM

Default Cabela’s North edmonton

I was disappointed the last time I was there. Nothing like the stores in the states.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:55 PM

They ran Wholesale out of town not realizing Wholesale was what it was because they understood how to survive in a smaller, less densely populated market than what Cabela's is used to in the States. Give it a couple years and we'll have lost both.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:58 PM

Think it has more to do with since crappy Bass Pro bought them out. That’s when I noticed they went down hill. I’ll stick with purchasing from local Canadian businesses.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:00 PM

I went in to buy some minnows the other day and actually left with just 2 packs of minnows. Nothing in the fishing department caught my eye. First time that’s ever happened. I just assumed I have way too much tackle lol.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:43 PM

Went in with a grand in my pocket looking to purchase a Lowrance 7i sidescan, downscan, fish finder. Pretty big deal for me I never buy stuff like that....stood at the display board playing with the high end stuff on demo mode for about 10 minutes while 5 or 6 of their finest teenage salespeople discussed what they saw on Netflix last nite about 10 feet away from me. Shook my head, cussed aloud drove to the fishin hole on 170 and never got past the sales counter before a couple nice gentlemen addressed my concerns and made sure I had the unit I wanted. Always was a fishin hole regular and I don't think cabelas gets a cent of my hard earned money anymore. They got their share.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:44 PM

Cabelas is second rate at best for fishing - wholesale sports was better, and fishin hole is better yet. Staff are way more knowledgable and they actuallly have stock on items.... unlike cabelas
Old 06-24-2019, 06:40 AM

Canadian tire is even better than them. I love TFH ! Both stores. Best place and people around.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
Canadian tire is even better than them. I love TFH ! Both stores. Best place and people around.
Yup, I often find more useful stuff at CT or Wal Mart, however, even those vary from store to store. The ones I frequent the most have really diminished their stock of hunting/fishing gear for some reason.

As for Cabelas, is it just me, or does their clothing section seem to get bigger and bigger?
Old 06-24-2019, 11:44 AM

Check the Cabelas.com website, if your willing to wait for it. Customs is included in your order for a few bucks. I order lots from Cabelas.com. Lots of stuff is cheaper even with the conversion. Some items can't be shipped to Canada though.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:28 PM

If u think Cabelas is bad try Bass Pro in Calgary. lol.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:35 PM

I have never been to the north Cabela’s, I always go to the south side location

Is there that big a difference, just curious?
Old 06-24-2019, 01:25 PM

Fwiw, I think Calgary Cabelas is actually pretty good. They have a lot of fishing gear. That said, I try to support TFH more because at least they're a semi-local Canadian company...
Old 06-24-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
I have never been to the north Cabela’s, I always go to the south side location

Is there that big a difference, just curious?
The fishing department is quarter the size.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:06 PM

This reminds me of the when everyone on here started grumbling about how crappy Wholesale sports was. "Man the service at Wholesale sucks! I'll be glad when Cabelas comes to town so we can get some decent deals! Wholesale won't get anymore of my money! The service at Cabelas is sooo much better, they want my business" bla bla bla

And now Wholesale is gone , Cabelas/Bass pro is on the hit list?
Old 06-24-2019, 02:09 PM
Banned

If you are going to Cabelas I’d suggest having a look at this reel. I picked one up the other day for my son and it seems like a great reel so far.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/12536...-spinning-reel
Old 06-25-2019, 12:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
This reminds me of the when everyone on here started grumbling about how crappy Wholesale sports was. "Man the service at Wholesale sucks! I'll be glad when Cabelas comes to town so we can get some decent deals! Wholesale won't get anymore of my money! The service at Cabelas is sooo much better, they want my business" bla bla bla

How quickly we forget.

If they can’t sell guns in Canada they’ll shut down I’m sure.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post

That's Alberta for ya, you hit the nail square on the head. Complain about what we take for granted and complain about what we used to have as if the two aren't mutually exclusive.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:56 AM

It’s not an unwarranted complaint. Cabela’s on the North end aren’t stocking much for fishing these days. If you take a look at the electronics area your luck to see maybe five pieces of equipment. The rest is empty boards. The reel area is 25% empty also. Same with jig tails. One would figure with a Power company like Bass Pro. The store would be splitting at the seams with stock including high end rods and reels. Just my observation.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:55 AM

I’ve noticed Cabela’s and Bass Pro to be heavy on clothing and outer wear. The Fishing Hole has great fishing tackle selection and are a little more up to date on the local fishing scene.