Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-21-2019, 06:23 AM

Default Snow fly for 16x24’ wall tent help.

Hey guys,
Just setting up wall tent that will be up year round in golden BC. Have one already that’s 12x14 and made external wood ridge pole for snow fly that’s supported on each end in typical manner.

My question is
How the heck can I make a support for the fly to help with snow pod support on my 24’ long wall tent? Anyone done this? Will a single ridgepole run the length and held on both ends be enough? It anyone has pics that would be great.

I don’t have the ability to knock snow off everyday because I’m not always out there and as you know it can dump 3’ in a blizzard.

Thanks for any input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-21-2019, 08:20 AM

When my group of friends and I would set up a wall tent camp 14x16 in Kakwa during winter for sledding in the mountains, we had a wire cable on a come-a-long strung up between 2 trees, and had a large tarp placed over the cable to provide a steep pitch over the tent. We have had snowfall 3-4' over night sometime being out at camp.

You need to make sure someone is around every weekend to knock any snow off if it accumulates. We had it snow over 12-15 feet over a week span and when we come back the weight of the snow on the tarp made the trees sag and therefore laid onto the tent and then buckled / collapsed the aluminum internal tent frame. We had some bent and broken poles and angle joint pieces. Couple small tears in the tent. We spent about 6-8 hours shoveling snow to get down to the tent. Then another 1-2 hours to get the tent up and standing again to make it stand up.

The steeper the pitch of the tarp the better, but heavy quick snowfalls can be an issue.

Our new camp just used at moose hunting is a 16x20 with 8' porch internal aluminum frame with tarp strung directly overtop the tent. No issues if it snows.

Last edited by Ice Fishing Maniac; 06-21-2019 at 08:31 AM.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:25 AM

I have a 16x20 tent with inside frame system, we just put a tarp over top of the tent and tie it to the tent peg holes at the edge of the tent with plastic tie straps, works for us , the snow slides off when it needs to.
Never gets wet inside also helps keep the heat inside a bit.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:44 AM

Thanks guys.
Mine has internal frame as well but the poles are electrical conduit I think. Can’t recall gauge right away. Was just thinking about firming up a bit with maybe two 2x4 home made trusses in between the frame that’s already there. Someone will be out once a week for sure. I’m encouraged hearing that your 16x20 works with just internal frame. Although I suspect your poles are stronger than mine. Anyone else have thoughts?

Old 06-21-2019, 08:52 AM

Cut some trees and make a tripod on each end of the tent, run a rope or ratchet strap over both and stake it down to the ground at each tripod. It’s a pain having the tripod in front of the tent entrance but they’re hella strong.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:24 AM

l 3-4' over night sometime being out at camp

That much snow, you're fighting a losing battle, Ma Nature will win.

Grizz
Old 06-21-2019, 10:30 AM

Make your fly out of nice and slippery material that will allow snow to slide off. The heaviest gauge Poly you can find or better yet a lighter weight PVC. The PVC will be really heavy by itself though, for something that big, bet on it being between 35lbs and 45lbs.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:51 AM

Put a guy wire between three tripods (One on each end, one in the center) off to one side of the tent on the lee side. Put the guy wire six feet above the tent edge, so it is at least three feet above the tent peak. Make a steep sloped lean-to that will shed the snow onto the windward side of the tent. We use two poly tarps, one between each set of tri-pods. Two smaller tarps are easier to come by and lighter. The lean-to cover will have far less chance of collapsing from snow weight and the wind blowing under it will help keep it cleared off.

Don't have a picture but found this picture on Google. This is sort of the idea, however in this case the windward side is at the back of the tent and the cable needs to be tighter.

Old 06-21-2019, 08:02 PM

May sound odd but I would build a six or eight pole tall tepee over the tent. Drape a big tarp tight over the tepee frame and tent . Snow won't stick to the slope and the tepee will give you wood storage outside of the tent. Put your stove pipe out the top of the tepee. If the snow does pile up it won't collapse a tepee as easy. Better still, just trade the outfitters tent for a good tepee with a winter liner.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 06-21-2019, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
l 3-4' over night sometime being out at camp

That much snow, you're fighting a losing battle, Ma Nature will win.

Grizz
I totally agree👍 Mother Nature will win!!
Old 06-22-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Put a guy wire between three tripods (One on each end, one in the center) off to one side of the tent on the lee side. Put the guy wire six feet above the tent edge, so it is at least three feet above the tent peak. Make a steep sloped lean-to that will shed the snow onto the windward side of the tent. We use two poly tarps, one between each set of tri-pods. Two smaller tarps are easier to come by and lighter. The lean-to cover will have far less chance of collapsing from snow weight and the wind blowing under it will help keep it cleared off.

Don't have a picture but found this picture on Google. This is sort of the idea, however in this case the windward side is at the back of the tent and the cable needs to be tighter.

Thanks dean. Sounds good

Old 06-22-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nast70 View Post
Make your fly out of nice and slippery material that will allow snow to slide off. The heaviest gauge Poly you can find or better yet a lighter weight PVC. The PVC will be really heavy by itself though, for something that big, bet on it being between 35lbs and 45lbs.

Ya makes sense thanks for the tips guys

Old 02-29-2020, 09:58 PM

So this happened.

Now it looks like this.