Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-26-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I disagree. Calgary is 16 pts up on them with a game in hand and Monahan, Gaudreau, and Chucky have a combined 3 goals in their last combined 38 games aka, they aren't producing. San Jose added Nyquist, a 49 pts guy, Karlsson has missed 12 games this year, and they are still 13 pts up on Vegas. I don't think adding Stone is going to make them an instant contender and believe they are still below Calgary, San Jose, Nashville, Winnipeg, and possibly even St. Louis in the west. I essentially don't seem them getting out of the first round.
This is mostly how I look at it as well. If adding Stone actually leapfrogs the Knights to the top, once must ask why Connor has the Oilers languishing in the basement....Stone adds lots, but all the other teams ahead of them are not exactly lacking depth either, and I think it safe to say that with Calgary hanging out in #2 for an extended stay (even with their top 4 underperforming for the last ten games or more)...they actually may have a good team? The chemistry seems to be there. It's easy to pick fly poop out of the pepper and critique every single lack of every player...but collectively they seem to get it done more often than not.

Having said that, going deep could come to goal tending, and Vegas has Fleury...as opposed to Leaky...but maybe Real Deal shows up and it's all gonna be glorious! Whatever, it's been a fun season to watch and I expect an exciting finish!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-26-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I disagree. Calgary is 16 pts up on them with a game in hand and Monahan, Gaudreau, and Chucky have a combined 3 goals in their last combined 38 games aka, they aren't producing. San Jose added Nyquist, a 49 pts guy, Karlsson has missed 12 games this year, and they are still 13 pts up on Vegas. I don't think adding Stone is going to make them an instant contender and believe they are still below Calgary, San Jose, Nashville, Winnipeg, and possibly even St. Louis in the west. I essentially don't seem them getting out of the first round.
Agree.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
This is mostly how I look at it as well. If adding Stone actually leapfrogs the Knights to the top, once must ask why Connor has the Oilers languishing in the basement....Stone adds lots, but all the other teams ahead of them are not exactly lacking depth either, and I think it safe to say that with Calgary hanging out in #2 for an extended stay (even with their top 4 underperforming for the last ten games or more)...they actually may have a good team? The chemistry seems to be there. It's easy to pick fly poop out of the pepper and critique every single lack of every player...but collectively they seem to get it done more often than not.

Having said that, going deep could come to goal tending, and Vegas has Fleury...as opposed to Leaky...but maybe Real Deal shows up and it's all gonna be glorious! Whatever, it's been a fun season to watch and I expect an exciting finish!
Real Deal could be a game changer if he can find his game again.

How does everyone see the final standings looking like?

Will Calgary finish in first? Who is the wild card teams? Lots of hockey left I know.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Real Deal could be a game changer if he can find his game again.

How does everyone see the final standings looking like?

Will Calgary finish in first? Who is the wild card teams? Lots of hockey left I know.
Calgary will be 2nd overall, possibility 3rd overall falling behind sharks. But come playoffs, erase all that and start from scratch, your gonna see some different hockey. Gonna be very gritty. Could be anyone’s year. No clear favourites this year.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:50 AM

I am always wrong when I make predictions...having said that the East is going to look pretty much how it does today, pens and canes fight for last wildcard. The West...I won't discount the Sharks taking the lead. They spook me. Vegas stays in #3, it's Sharks and Flames fighting for 1 & 2....Central I see Blues pass Jets who are struggling, but Preds Blues and Jets have a spot... wildcard in the west....Colorado shapes up, and Dallas holds on, and the wild and the rest are on the outside looking in.

I make no predictions on the Playoffs....but Tampa is so good.....i don't know who can beat them.

Now, watch me be wrong on all counts.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-26-2019, 11:53 AM
Banned

I see Calgary falling to 2nd. I do hope I am wrong.
Sharks take first

This is a long shot, but I see Dallas falling out and Phoenix jumping in... YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST!!!
Old 02-26-2019, 12:04 PM

Calgary went through a rough patch after the break. Their stars are not scoring, but they have found ways to get loser points and now have a 5 game win streak. They are 3 up on San Jose and 16 up on Vegas with a game in hand. The third and fourth lines and Backlund have carried the load recently.

When the stars get rolling, look out. I think they are in good shape. If the Real Deal James Neal comes back and actually gets some puck luck, who comes out? The way Czarnik has played, IMO he stays in. Mangipane? He stays. Ryan? Nope. Hathaway? Nope. Bennett, Nope. Jankowski? Nope. I think Frolik is the odd man out.

Neal sucked at the beginning, but he has been getting better and better and exerting his physicality. The amount of posts and stellar saves the man has hit is amazing for the length of time it has gone on. Hopefully he breaks free.

Lindholm has been amazing, Brody has had a resurgence once he played the offside with Giordano. Hannifin has fit in well (Dougie who?). Ryan looked like a bust at first, but holy cow has he played well in the new year. Anderson has been a revelation. Wow. Oliver K looks OK too.

You look at all of this, who would you have given up to get Mark Stone? Is he better than ALL of your players that you give him the contract Vegas gave him? I don't think so. Given the price for Stone and his contract, I would have stood pat also.

Calgary has not yet hit on all cylinders at the same time this year. If the goaltending continues to progress, The defence plays well, and Neal comes back as the Real Deal and fits into the lineup, with the stars also scoring, look out!
Old 02-26-2019, 05:15 PM
Banned

Just a reminder... 5pm game today against Islanders
16:00 1st 0 - 0
Old 02-26-2019, 05:17 PM

They look pretty good so far, hustling and getting to pucks, fore checking and getting the turnover...they look pretty focused. Should be a good game. That fourth line with Hathaway and Ryan have really picked things up lately, they look good again tonight.

Old 02-26-2019, 05:21 PM

Well crap! Lindholm had an awesome breakaway short handed and missed the net...dammit!!

At least they killed Ryan's penalty.

Old 02-26-2019, 05:29 PM

Wow, perfect feed from Johnny to Hanifin sneaking in from point, and Lehrners gets across and stones him...Twice!! But Flames going on pp...

Old 02-26-2019, 05:38 PM

Nice save by Smith!!!
Old 02-26-2019, 05:40 PM

Default Flames

Pretty good pace to this game.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgill808 View Post
Nice save by Smith!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by spurly View Post
Pretty good pace to this game.
Agree to both. I thought they might get one there in the last seconds. The third and fourth line looking really good...hope that the first line gets it together a bit, they don't seem to be clicking at the moment. Effort seems to be there, maybe gripping the sticks a bit?

Old 02-26-2019, 05:48 PM
Banned

Cheering for the Bruins!
Old 02-26-2019, 05:53 PM

Yeah was just checking on that game, Sharks and Bruins tied at one after 1...Go Bruins!! C'mon Marchand, you nasty little rat...

Old 02-26-2019, 06:06 PM

Default Flames

Nice
Old 02-26-2019, 06:06 PM

Chucky with the pp goal!! Whoooooopppp!!! 1-0!

What a beauty!

Old 02-26-2019, 06:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Chucky with the pp goal!! Whoooooopppp!!! 1-0!

What a beauty!
That really was a hell of a goal.. And then he flattened the GT.... Amazing how he got away with that. I know the initial contact was because of the Islander D man by he made NO effort to avoid the rest of the pancake. LOLOLOLOL

What a guy.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
That really was a hell of a goal.. And then he flattened the GT.... Amazing how he got away with that. I know the initial contact was because of the Islander D man by he made NO effort to avoid the rest of the pancake. LOLOLOLOL

What a guy.
Why would he make an effort?

Shot differential pretty wide again today, Flames up 15-6. Smith looks ok so far, not scaring me yet...

Old 02-26-2019, 06:14 PM

Dammit...Smith and that five hole. Crap. Aren't they supposed to cover that with that big paddle thing?

Old 02-26-2019, 06:21 PM

Damn lots of pressure in our end here. We can't stay out of the box, that will hurt us.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:22 PM

Oh guys....too many penalties now...gonna bite them in the ass if they don't get a bit more disciplined.

Old 02-26-2019, 06:22 PM

Default Flames

That was quite the power play there.
And now they get another crack at it.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:26 PM

Boston up 3-1
Old 02-26-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig-Rat View Post
Boston up 3-1
That's good at least....

Old 02-26-2019, 06:35 PM
Banned

Czarnic starting on the PP?
Cool...
Old 02-26-2019, 06:36 PM

All right, here's a long 5 on 3 thanks to a stupid rule and Clusterbuck....Go Flames!!

Old 02-26-2019, 06:38 PM

It's obvious they needed just a few more passes...Jeeeeeeze

Old 02-26-2019, 06:41 PM

Hey! Not sure when that happened, but somewhere in the last couple days I had my 10K post....and I didn't even get confetti or a piece of cake. AO on a tight budget obviously...humphhh.

Anyway, just watching hilights on Bruins game and it seems that little rat Marchand got my memo, because he had a filtyhy goal!