Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-14-2018, 10:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
Yes, definitely way more than should. Unfortunately, alcohol is involved in many of these fatal accidents.

For this particular case though, it was just waiting to happen, imo. The second bridge they finally started working on not long ago should have been built a long time ago.
The dunvegan worries me. Don't know if it's narrow or seems really really narrow.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:11 PM

I stayed in a Holiday Inn last night.

Wait, it was a Delta.

Nervermind.

(don't ask me about who was there for a conference and the ripping party in the lobby lounge that night)
Old 02-14-2018, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
The dunvegan worries me. Don't know if it's narrow or seems really really narrow.
They are about the same, narrower than they should be, IMO. At least there are a few turns before the bridge at Dunvegan, so if one is not paying attention he/she would roll off the road prior to entering the bridge, or there is a likelihood of that. In Peace River, going from the west, it is straight downhill with speed limit of 80 km/h (many going significantly faster) narrowing into the bridge. Drinking and driving, texting, tired, looking around enjoying the view, etc and the result is what happened yesterday. There is also quite a bit more traffic on Peace bridge. Place a bridge like this somewhere in Edmonton, Calgary, and the like, people would be killed several times a year, I am sure.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:22 PM

Random posts? Neat. How about a post just for the gopher hunters. Bet you never seen gophers like these in the pasture.

https://www.facebook.com/Irrelephant...oR1b643CtjiiPg
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 02-15-2018, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
With all due respect I would not be too quick to criticize what you do not know .

The moderators have a big busy job to do but one of they do not have to explain to the forum members what they are doing and why they are doing it .
If that was the case they would be spending all their time explaining to people what they are doing instead of fending off spam , trolls , and other things that they are here for.
Many times they delete threads and posts before most of us see them .
Cat
^^ This all day long !!!

Mod'n is hell, am currently an Admin just helping out on another forum
since Aug & I already had enough..the fun is being be a regular poster,
behind the scenes >> Stress, demanding, busy, time consuming.
Mod'n is definitely not some rosey sword wielding position of power or activity to covet upon.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:16 PM

What I really came to this thread for is the following question.
I had canned some mushrooms in the summer. Now one of the jars I just can't open for the life of me, no matter what I do. It is not about my hands slipping, so no towel/sandpaper and whatever else will help. The lid looks like this:

So it is not the suction/vacuum that keeps it from being twisted.

Any ideas on how to open it?
Old 02-25-2018, 10:20 PM

Could be the lid is glued shut
Try running it under some hot water first .
Works for our fruit preserves, pickles, etc.....
Cat
Old 02-25-2018, 10:24 PM

Thanks, Cat. I will try. I have done hundreds of cans in my life and it had never happened to me before.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Cat. I will try. I have done hundreds of cans in my life and it had never happened to me before.
It's the only thing o can think of, let us know the outcome!
Cat
Old 02-25-2018, 10:45 PM

It's a miracle! Thanks for the advice. Running hot water did not work but soaking it lid down in hot water for 5 minutes or so did the trick.

Prequel:
I first tried to open this particular jar a couple of months ago and gave it a few more tries after that. My buddy with vise-grip-like hands and significant amount of power tried it once too to no avail. He got pretty frustrated, actually. I will tell him I had it opened and see him boiling next time we talk
Today my wife said something along the lines of "So, are we ever going to eat those mushrooms?". I said I will give another try and if it does not happen, it will go to the garbage. I gave it another good try not long ago and decided to ask here before dumping it. Thanks, Cat!
Old 02-25-2018, 10:52 PM

Quote:
It's a miracle! Thanks for the advice. Running hot water did not work but soaking it lid down in hot water for 5 minutes or so did the trick.
Giving the lid a good whack with the handle of a screwdriver (or something) can help too
Old 02-25-2018, 10:52 PM

Who woulda thank it- I wonder if it was a combination of the lid needing to expand and the juice gluing the lid down?
You are quite welcome!
Cat
Old 02-25-2018, 10:57 PM

For a stuck lid use the hot water plus tap around the sides and top of the lid with the handle of a bread knife or small mallet. Most of the time tapping the lid will break the lid's seal without using the hot water too. If you're where there is no hot water.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 02-25-2018, 11:12 PM

And now for something completely different...

You may never look at common feldspar rocks the same way. Several other rocks that might be underfoot too. A little bit of heat changes everything.

https://www.cooltools.us/v/vspfiles/...Metal_Clay.pdf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg feldspar heat treat.jpg (36.3 KB, 58 views)
Old 02-26-2018, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Random posts? Neat. How about a post just for the gopher hunters. Bet you never seen gophers like these in the pasture.

https://www.facebook.com/Irrelephant...oR1b643CtjiiPg
Lol this is irrelephant
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 02-27-2018, 03:19 PM

Americans your help is needed...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTrhQd9GHlE
Old 02-27-2018, 03:28 PM

Authorities say that what north americans pay for food in one day would feed a third world country for a year. This leads me to believe.... we are being over charged for food.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:46 PM
Banned

Default Free

For the stubble jumpers down south I've got approx 770000 cubic yards of white moisture accumulated with approx another 500000 cubes on the way. Yours to come get if you need some.

Please make the snow stop.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:54 PM

I've been told you can't take wealth with you when you die, but WHAT IF you do? What if the afterlife was designed by human minds, and cash rules there too?
What if we die broke, and are consigned to purgatory slums, because you can't buy your way into heaven with quarters and ones? What if virtue is as worthless there as it seems to be here? Do you really want to spend all eternity eating KD and drinking draft beer?
What if the life we lead, self gratification and greed, is only the warm-up to the big league?
"In phase one, my son, you proved yourself a big earner. Here's half of heaven and half of hell, please broker the merger".
What if we can't escape the designs of the human race? What if our incomes solely determine how we place? If I die and it turns out I was right, I just might go berserk. I always hoped death was the final rest, but really, it's just more work
Old 03-01-2018, 06:45 AM
Banned

Default "Letters on paper...

...have a different effect on people's brains than spoken words. The brain can quite easily re-interpret spoken words, can misunderstand what is meant, can adjust it to the individual's reality in a way that makes it bearable. Words on paper are the reality."

Free
Old 04-09-2018, 12:38 AM

So I was driving quite a bit today. As I did so, I was looking for animal tracks along the road and there weren't too many. All of a sudden, I drive by a field that is just filled with tracks and digging marks and whatnot. No animals though, as it was early afternoon. On the way back, I drive by that field around 8 PM and there are at least half a dozen of moose on that field and loads of deer (whitetails and mule deer); I bet that even if I stopped, I would not be able to easily count how many deer there were.

So my question is, what do you think was planted on that field that attracted the animals so much? Most of the deer were standing belly deep in the snow, yet they were there and digging. Everything else around it seemed to be untouched since November-December, no tracks, nothing - just flat snow cover.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:51 AM

Default My guess is peas.

Quote:
So I was driving quite a bit today. As I did so, I was looking for animal tracks along the road and there weren't too many. All of a sudden, I drive by a field that is just filled with tracks and digging marks and whatnot. No animals though, as it was early afternoon. On the way back, I drive by that field around 8 PM and there are at least half a dozen of moose on that field and loads of deer (whitetails and mule deer); I bet that even if I stopped, I would not be able to easily count how many deer there were.

So my question is, what do you think was planted on that field that attracted the animals so much? Most of the deer were standing belly deep in the snow, yet they were there and digging. Everything else around it seemed to be untouched since November-December, no tracks, nothing - just flat snow cover.
Don’t know about the moose but deer love the peas especially when there is no green alfalfa around.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:31 AM

Thanks for the reply. I don't know though because I know quite a few fields with peas around my area and each one of them is pretty much dead and untouched since probably December. What I am thinking is that whatever it is, it has to be uncut. I don't think I have ever seen this many deer digging this hard in this much snow for whatever it is down there. And then again moose. Very interesting. I should have stopped and taken a photo, even with my phone since that was all I had with me.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:11 AM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2018, 02:40 AM

Best post of the year Talking Moose.
~~~~~~
Old 04-10-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Best post of the year Talking Moose.
~~~~~~
Yes I agree, it looks like it's round enough and also has the required amount of height...plus some green stuff growing up all around the bottom...id say it's a great post for sure!
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 04-11-2018, 02:29 AM

Then again... maybe it's not the best post of the year.
When I looked again I could tell... that post is wired! It's keeping things in too much....maybe the post would open up to Talking Moose. AO members should do a fundraiser to get the post some help.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:32 PM

Some scrap metal, a welder and an imagination. Pretty cool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg welded moose.jpg (47.9 KB, 59 views)
Old 04-16-2018, 11:39 AM

Default Caribou

Saw a few caribou last week

Old 04-16-2018, 12:49 PM

Default Epic Loading & Unloading Fails and Wins

Some funny stuff....

https://youtu.be/81mW21CgQYQ