Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-01-2011, 04:02 PM

Default New Sheep Gun, Sako or Browning???

Looking at a new sheep rifle. Have a remington 700 in 300 win mag now, and looking to downsize in size and weight this year. Saw guys last summer hitting targets at 1200 yards with a .308, so that is the caliber i'm looking at, and planning on putting the new Leupold Canadian Edition scope on it with the drop compensation.

My question is what would be better, a sako finnlight in ss and composite, or a browning in ss and composite? I Like the 60 deg bolt on the x-bolt browning, but heard sako's are awesome, would like to find out if the finnlight is acctually $800 better than the browning. Never owned either, and suggestions would be appreciated. thanks,
Mike
Old 03-01-2011, 04:14 PM

there's a great thread over in teh G &A Forum about this exact topic. End result: Save the $800 and spend it on nice optics (my own wraup )
Old 03-01-2011, 04:17 PM

X-Bolt all the way,there new rifles are awesome.I have a 300wsm,best rifle I have ever owned,seen,or shouldered!
Old 03-01-2011, 04:24 PM

Sako all the way. by the way it has a 60 degreee bolt throw as well.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Banned

Buy my X-Bolt it already knows where to go
But seriously id go with the X-Bolt for sure. I love mine. Only reason im getting rid of mine is because a Custom is taking its spot.
SG
Old 03-01-2011, 04:38 PM

Brownings are AWESOME. There, now you heard they are as well.
Love my X-bolt.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsesink View Post
there's a great thread over in teh G &A Forum about this exact topic. End result: Save the $800 and spend it on nice optics (my own wraup )
I agree, save your money and put a Swarovski Z5 3-18x44 with the ballistic turret. They are great scopes and will make shooting out to 700 yds easy.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACKLEY ABE View Post
Sako all the way. by the way it has a 60 degreee bolt throw as well.
I was in wholesale yesterday and had the two sitting side by side, and the sako's bolt does go quite higher than the x-bolt. Don't think it would be high enough to interfere with the optics, but it is higher. Has anyone out there owned both rifles, and have likes and dislikes of each?
Old 03-01-2011, 05:21 PM

I have a Sako 85 finnlite in a 25-06 and with a McMillan Edge stock it, its very light and my girlfriend who very small can carry it all day without an issue...guess I should say she has it not me. I can comment of the Browning but you wouldn't be disappointed with Sako by any means. Even my 30-06 which isnt the Finnlite is very light with the McMillan.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:56 PM

I have owned a Sako 75 finnlite and a Browning A bolt both very nice guns however felt that the Sako was a nicer feeling/shooting gun, but as most have already said the Sako was about 900.00 bucks more.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:59 PM

Brownings are great guns I have an old a bolt and love it, I have yet to shoot an x bolt but have not heard anything bad.
That said sakos are wicked! finish and fit awesome a proven 5 shot moa just a great gun and everyone should find room for at least one in the safe.
I do not think you would be disappointed with either gun. You don't know what your missing if you never shoot a sako.

Mike
Old 03-01-2011, 06:12 PM

Audi or Porshe.....Cadillac or Lincoln......Edsel or Nash? Ok, not the Edsel or Nash. I like the Sako, just fits me better (not that I have owned either, just shot friend's). The Browning is very nice too, but I don't personally care for them, just don't come to the shoulder like the Sako for me..... My thought is, why not get Corlanes to build you a dedicated sheep rifle? .280 AI? The .308 is awesome, but kinda vanilla (and I love the short action, don't get me wrong) I'd love to have one of their (Corlanes) units, and those boys certainly seem to know their stuff......And for optics, I've got a real hankering for a Huskemaw ever since the boys put one in my hands the other day. So nice....hmmmmmmm!

Have a look here:

http://www.rockymountainrifles.com/home.php
Oh yeah, what kind of money did you want to spend?

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-01-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted canuck View Post
Edsel or Nash??
ha ha, nice!
Old 03-01-2011, 08:58 PM

Sako....
Old 03-01-2011, 10:26 PM

X-bolt browning.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:28 AM

I've owned both in the exact same cartridge. The X-bolt is a very nice rifle for its price but comes up short when compared to the Sako Finnlight. Work the actions, try pushing the bolt in with a little lateral pressure trying to make it bind. The Sako will really shine and it should it does cost more than the X-Bolt. There is no problems mounting optics on either one.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:44 AM

Sako.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:44 AM

Kimber 84M Montana.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-02-2011, 01:55 PM

Default SAKO or Browning

I just went through this evaluation myself. Here is the thread I started. It left me with pretty much a 50 / 50 opion split.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...highlight=sako

I ended up going with Sako. I believe it is a better gun, but I also found a style that really fit me, the Bavarian.

Good Luck.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:53 PM
Banned

sako, it even has a crisp sharp accurate name.......browning? sounds like another term for skid mark.....eck
Old 03-02-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Kimber 84M Montana.
????????
Old 03-02-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted canuck View Post
Audi or Porshe.....Cadillac or Lincoln......Edsel or Nash? Ok, not the Edsel or Nash. I like the Sako, just fits me better (not that I have owned either, just shot friend's). The Browning is very nice too, but I don't personally care for them, just don't come to the shoulder like the Sako for me..... My thought is, why not get Corlanes to build you a dedicated sheep rifle? .280 AI? The .308 is awesome, but kinda vanilla (and I love the short action, don't get me wrong) I'd love to have one of their (Corlanes) units, and those boys certainly seem to know their stuff......And for optics, I've got a real hankering for a Huskemaw ever since the boys put one in my hands the other day. So nice....hmmmmmmm!

Have a look here:

http://www.rockymountainrifles.com/home.php
Oh yeah, what kind of money did you want to spend?
A better comparison is ford or BMW!!!! Both are good and have there followers just one is nicer and more expensive.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:12 PM

i personaly love browning rifles. just wondering about your cartirdge choise. i own 2 different rifle chambered in 308. its a good round but is more challenging to shoot longer range as it is on the smaller side. if you plan on really stretching its legs you would need a angled base and a scope with lots of vertical adjustment. Ive only shot mine out to 500M once so far and found the wind to play havoc on my 168gr rounds.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:27 PM

Default Can't go wrong with Sako, werth the money

[QUOTE=m.mcrae;851502]Looking at a new sheep rifle. Have a remington 700 in 300 win mag now, and looking to downsize in size and weight this year. Saw guys last summer hitting targets at 1200 yards with a .308, so that is the caliber i'm looking at, and planning on putting the new Leupold Canadian Edition scope on it with the drop compensation.

My question is what would be better, a sako finnlight in ss and composite, or a browning in ss and composite? I Like the 60 deg bolt on the x-bolt browning, but heard sako's are awesome, would like to find out if the finnlight is acctually $800 better than the browning. Never owned either, and suggestions would be appreciated. thanks,
Mike[/QUO
Old 03-02-2011, 06:36 PM

Browning blued Eclipse M1000 in 7mm. Yes, eclipse.

In addition to being a great motivator to get yourself in severely good shape before hitting the mountains (and then living 20 years longer and better than the fat bastards around you) it allows:

* much better follow-through on your long-distance shots than light rifles, for better, more consistent accuracy. Doubly so with the BAR brake. Remember, just being able to 'take' recoil is not the main problem. You also have to maintain constant sight picture on the target all throughout the shot until impact without moving the barrel. Heavy is good.

* the rifle to be used for more bench, prone, and stix practice than one with a spaghetti-barrel. Slower heating allows more shots before taking a break, so better practice.

* the inherent accuracy of the 7mm cartridge (which many bench competitors are migrating to from the 6.5-284)

* very good sheep-country (i.e. long range) technical accuracy out of the box.

* better hand-position with the thumbhole stock in prone or stix shooting positions used in longer shots. (sheep hunting is not 'shooting clays' or fast-moving deer at close range).

*it's cheaper than stainless but with the same laminated stock. Blueing really isn't that bad, either. They used to have this stuff called 'oil' which you could rub over blued metal with a little rag a couple of times a day resulting in no rust.

Last edited by BallCoeff.435; 03-02-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:40 PM

Default new sheep gun sako or browning

well i have a sako and a browning and if i had to buy a new gun it would be a browing,the sako is not what its made out tobe, its a nice gun because its more money, i thought it would shoot better than the browning xbolt ,well it dont, get a xbolt and save your money and a get a better scope good luck steve
Old 03-02-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallCoeff.435 View Post

*it's cheaper than stainless but with the same laminated stock. Blueing really isn't that bad, either. They used to have this stuff called 'oil' which you could rub over blued metal with a little rag a couple of times a day resulting in no rust.
ahhhh yes oil what happened to that stuff? i never knew rust was such an issue with guns until stainless hit the scene take care of your equipment and it will love you forever!
Old 03-02-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arn?Narn. View Post
????????
Did I stutter?

-Billy Molls
Old 03-02-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Did I stutter?
I believe he was referring to the original post titled " new sheep gun, sako or browning"
Kimber was not mentioned as as option
Old 03-02-2011, 08:38 PM
Banned

oh yay, i'll break out the popcorn maker....pssss btw i think i heard a bit of a stu stu

Tags
browning, hunting, sako, sheep, x-bolt