Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-19-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Get the ram first. Then worry about it.
Exactly, you don't have a problem until you have a problem.
Old 12-22-2020, 07:08 PM

Horse all the way If you can afford it
Old 12-22-2020, 08:46 PM

By leap frogging your body gets a break in between the shuttle runs and makes it a little more manageable. The real advantage of the method is that when your done the game and your gear are out at the same time.
Old 12-22-2020, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorsman12b View Post
By leap frogging your body gets a break in between the shuttle runs and makes it a little more manageable. The real advantage of the method is that when your done the game and your gear are out at the same time.
I understand where you’re coming from but that is super inefficient in my estimation. . We packed ram/ meat out in 1 trip. The break came on the walk back in with no weight. We were them fresh to haul our gear out. I couldn’t imagine unloading and reloading constantly. I would say that aspect would add hours to a pack out unnecessarily. But hey if it works for you, by all means....
Old 12-23-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
I understand where you’re coming from but that is super inefficient in my estimation. . We packed ram/ meat out in 1 trip. The break came on the walk back in with no weight. We were them fresh to haul our gear out. I couldn’t imagine unloading and reloading constantly. I would say that aspect would add hours to a pack out unnecessarily. But hey if it works for you, by all means....
Not a sheep hunter but have done lots of mountain hunts when living in BC. In my opinion leapfrogging has its time and place but with a sheep size animal I would not go this route unless I felt it necessary. Distance, weather, bear population, number or loads were all things we considered before deciding what we thought was best.

When it came to deer and goat the option was one heavy load for the first load. Have a crap sleep in the truck, hike back, and bring out the last of the meat/gear.

If it was multiple animals or a large animal and we figured it was more than 2days to get everything out we leapfrogged it. We often hunted areas that had higher bear numbers then you find in Alberta so we didn’t like having meat left unattended for too long

Not saying it’s the best way but this is what worked for myself and others I know

Tags
alberta, mountains, ram, ram hunt, sheep