Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-17-2010, 10:03 AM

Default rifle range close to south calgary

hi guys,
looking for a range or a field even close to calgary on the south west side. Has anyone been to the calgary rifle range you see the sign for on the way south of calgary before okotoks?? If so is it expensive and can you just drop in? ALso does anyone know of a forestry area where you can just set up targets in a field that isn't as far south as the chain lakes area off the foresty trunk? any advice would be appreciated, thanks,
Mike
Old 02-17-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.mcrae View Post
hi guys,
looking for a range or a field even close to calgary on the south west side. Has anyone been to the calgary rifle range you see the sign for on the way south of calgary before okotoks?? If so is it expensive and can you just drop in? ALso does anyone know of a forestry area where you can just set up targets in a field that isn't as far south as the chain lakes area off the foresty trunk? any advice would be appreciated, thanks,
Mike
What are you shooting? The range you mention between Calgary and Okotoks is probably the Calgary Firearms Center, which is a shotgun facility (trap, skeet, etc.)
Old 02-17-2010, 10:18 AM

hi,
i am wanting a rifle range for shooting my 300. Something 600m would be nice but anything would do. I am just trying to avoid driving 2 hours to get somewhere. any advice on anything west of okotoks?
Old 02-17-2010, 10:21 AM

Lots of crown land west of Okotoks (west of Turner Valley actually) for you to shoot on, but no ranges that I know of.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:21 AM

lots of forestry land west of Black Diamond, you dont have to go all the way to chain
Old 02-17-2010, 10:26 AM

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=13155

There are no absolutes
Old 02-17-2010, 01:23 PM

Look up Homestead rifle range I think they have a 900m range if you find others let us know.If you have a free weekend there is a rifle range 10 min west of Radium BC that has rifle,shotgun and handgun shooting, a lot of Alberta shooters use this range.It is free and is open all year round to the public.If you talk with the local boys they might be able to point you in the direction of some real long range area with backstops all you need is a portable bench.There is also a camping area at range.Look up Lake Windermere Rod & Gun.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:25 PM

hi, I hunted west of turner valley this year. I had got an elk draw for 406, and i don't know of any land out there that is public, all private as far as i know. Then once you are at the k-country gates, you are not allowed to have shoot unless you have the proper tag during that particular season.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:26 PM

thanks for that,
we were actually camped just west of that last year during our quad trip. Great free camping also right on the creek, and lots of stuff to see in the area.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:10 PM

Just outside the Calgary S.E. city limits . . .

Full details are on the website; http://www.cdtsa.org/

I've been a member there for ~ 10 years now. Quick and easy to get to from the city, and the members are a great bunch of folks. It's also known as 'The Shepard Range'.

TF

Tags
field, range, rifle, shooting