Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-15-2009, 05:25 PM

Question Costs of Owning a Dog?

Well, my wife and I are moving more and more towards looking for a puppy.

I think we've narrowed the breed down to likely a Wiemeraner or something very similar.

Been doing lots of research about breeds, training, etc.

Still doing research about breeders vs. SPCA rescue.

Still have lots more research to do before we make a decision. I know a few guys have already helped me out with some breeder info and personal experiance. This has helped a ton!

We want to start with a puppy, so we can be part of the training and see it grow. And well, puppies are cute. We're going to be looking for a male as we're both more comfortable handling / training male dogs.

My big question is what sort of monthly costs are people seeing when you own a single pet dog?

Trying to figure if we can adequately care for a dog financially before we take the big step.

Some of the things I'm thinking of are:

-Food ??
-Treats?
-Toys?
-Insurance? Is this something that would save us money in the end?
-vet bills for shots etc?

Any comments or ideas are appreciated.

Any good internet sites you know of for info?

I grew up with farm dogs and they were pretty easy to care for, but it's been some time since I've owned a dog, and the first time I would be the primary person responsible.

I am not interested in show dogs or anything like that. To be honest, we don't really understand or care to get involved in competitions. Don't expect the dog to be elite, at the end of the day, we're just looking for a great companion, and a dog that will enjoy being as much a part of our family as we will enjoy it's company!

I should mention we do a fair amount of dog sitting, and spend a lot of time with friends who have dogs. We're friends with Labs, huskies, and mutts.

Here's my two favorites, and if something happens to the owners, I'm the 'dogfather'...

Thx in advance

Old 10-15-2009, 05:43 PM

I believe in the spca. I dont know cost is maybe 50 bucks a month, if that. Depends on the dog and what you want to do.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:49 PM

I calculated out what my German Shep costed me per month and it worked out to an average of $70 per month for 8 years. With no major operations or medical procedures, my dog costed me $6700.00 for his lifetime.

That included food, licences, booster shots, spay/neuter, bowls, more bowls, brushes, collar, tracking collar/harness, electronic collar rental (2wks).......

I did the dogs nails, baths etc.......naturally the dog didnt need a haircut.

The doghouse I built for no cost.

I did not include fencing and dog run gravel in that total. That was about $2000.00
Old 10-15-2009, 05:51 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
I calculated out what my German Shep costed me per month and it worked out to an average of $70 per month for 8 years. With no major operations or medical procedures, my dog costed me $6700.00 for his lifetime.

That included food, licences, booster shots, spay/neuter, bowls, more bowls, brushes, collar, tracking collar/harness, electronic collar rental (2wks).......

I did not include fencing and dog run gravel in that total. That was about $2000.00
didn't see dental bills included????
Old 10-15-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
didn't see dental bills included????
Me and the dog were lucky. Never went to the dentist. My youngest daughter was a pathological tooth brusher and the dog, I'm sure, got his teeth brushed at least 10 times a week.

Nothing quite like watching a 40lb little girl wrestling a 105lb Shep trying to brush his teeth before bedtime...... I wish I had owned a video cam at that time

I can't imagine how much a dental bill for a dog would be.........I'll bet its unreal
Old 10-15-2009, 05:59 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Me and the dog were lucky. Never went to the dentist. My youngest daughter was a pathological tooth brusher and the dog, I'm sure, got his teeth brushed at least 10 times a week.

Nothing quite like watching a 40lb little girl wrestling a 105lb Shep trying to brush his teeth before bedtime...... I wish I had owned a video cam at that time

I can't imagine how much a dental bill for a dog would be.........I'll bet its unreal
my little girl learned how to walk by hanging onto the back of our Irish Setter, that dog had patience that borderlined on unbeleivable
Old 10-15-2009, 06:37 PM

I have a 2 year old English Bulldog. I figure he costs me around $200/month. I pay a $70/month insurance premium. He is a little higher cost becuase he is a bulldog. For his breed I wouldn't go without insurance. He had an episode this summer with his breathing and it was an $1800 bill. Pet insurance paid 80%. The peace of mind knowing that you can afford anything that comes up is well worth the money. I feed my boy Orijen. Depending on the size of bag I can get I spend between $80-100/month on dog food. I have received many compliments from groomers and vets about his skin (a problem with bulldogs) and his overall health. Treats run about $30. I do an annual vet visit and it is just over $100/year. A good set of stainless steel bowls should last you forever. The skies the limit for toys. It depends how much you want to spoil the dog. No matter what I buy mine still enjoys a tennis ball and a water bottle.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:39 PM

50-60$ a month is pretty safe. It alse depends a lot on what kind of owner you are.

Some people take they're dog to the vet for every sneeze. I've saved 10 trips to the vet by ripping quills out myself. 1 dog broke a fang but she's fine. A beaver put a hole in her as well (before she killed it, in the water too ) I put a t shirt on her instead of a going to the vet and buying a 50$ cone.

I have 2 dogs a malmute and lab/bcollie and they are worth every penny.

Exercise, milk bones/moose bones and lots of stimulation and you'll have a healthy happy dog, that won't cost too much.

The damage they can do can be astronomical, harder to budget that. My malmute ate a bar of soap and a months worth of birth control pills from an employee.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:23 PM

Good on ya for putting the thought in.....most don't.

There is a couple GSP's on a post right near this one if that breed interests you.

I think the costs have been covered pretty well already.....but it depends on what they like to chew on......Like your Lowa GTX's with sheep blood on them

Still love'em though!!

Worth every penny ever spent on them

tm
Old 10-15-2009, 07:28 PM

We have a Rotti/Mastiff cross. She gets 3 cups of dry food for breakfast and 3 cups for dinner. She is 4 years old and weighs 120lbs.
I believe the food bill is around $60 a month.
I would pay any amount of money though,because she's family.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:29 PM

As everyone has basically said, the cost of the puppy was the cheap part of owning a dog, having said that, its a long term investment well worth the price on admission. Great to see you put some real thought into this as it is a big decision, Im sure whatever pup will enjoy his new home
Old 10-15-2009, 07:31 PM

Thanks for the tips and PM's so far guys, greatly appreciated.

The two labs in the above pic are great dogs, but the owners have spent tons on them at the vets with various things they've got themselves into, which makes me a little wary. At the very least having an idea that you can spend some serious coin at a Vet, thus my earlier question about insurance research.

One has a sensative stomach, so food is more costly for them.

Quote:

That sounds a lot like my old German Shepard, His name was Klink - ala Col. Klink from Hogan's heros. He was a great dog for me as a kid. Ate too many porcupines though, and never learned his lesson. Had to be put down because of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiddy View Post
I pay a $70/month insurance premium. He is a little higher cost becuase he is a bulldog. For his breed I wouldn't go without insurance. He had an episode this summer with his breathing and it was an $1800 bill. Pet insurance paid 80%. The peace of mind knowing that you can afford anything that comes up is well worth the money.
I remember reading about that episode, glad he's ok! Any other breeds where insurance would be reccomended?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Techer View Post
Some people take they're dog to the vet for every sneeze. I've saved 10 trips to the vet by ripping quills out myself.

Exercise, milk bones/moose bones and lots of stimulation and you'll have a healthy happy dog, that won't cost too much.
I'm not one of those hypochondriac dog owners, but if there's a problem, I want to make sure he's looked after. Just like I'd do first aid on a family member without needing to spend a bunch of $ and waste time in a walk-in clinic.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:38 PM

As for Breeds, my wife likes the Wiem's (And I really like them too) but I want to make sure we'd be a good home too.

We're fairly active, get outdoors and do long hikes and mountain bikes as much as possible. X-country skiing in winter some.

Day-to-day we'd have to get used to walks. We have a standard city-sized backyard. My wife works from home primarily as a graphic designer, and I'm full-time 9-5 sort of thing, so the dog wouldn't be in a kennel very much.

Looking for a medium to larger dog, something that doesn't shed excessively, a breed that I can maybe take up pheasant hunting with, and doesn't mind being out camping and hiking. We like smarter breeds that will listen to training. Probably a medium energy level to keep up to us but not drive us nuts with crazy energy either. Have to keep the exercise regime up for me AND the dog.

I see a lot of this as a lifestyle change for the wife and I as well.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:31 PM

Everyone has posted great info but you do need to prepare for emergencies. My golden tore her ACL and I ended up with a $1500 vet bill. We ended up losing her when she was just 5 y/o.

12 y/o Golden...just food and a monthly shot for her arthrits ($25)

8 y/o Brittany...$44/month for his anxiety pills. He's having a mid-life crisis that is causing me to have one and go broke.

1 y/o Brittany...food and a whole lot of pairs of shoes!! Our entire family of 4 has fallen victim to her shoe fetish. We now have baskets for the shoes b/c she would take them from the shelves.

They are worth every penny!!!
Old 10-15-2009, 08:43 PM

On Sunday the yellow fellow was very ill. He looked depressed and had an upset stomach. He seemed weak and was having trouble walking. Fearing the worst I called the emergency number at the vet and rushed him down.

Three hundred dollars later the vet tells me there seems to be nothing wrong with him except he looked depressed and a little dehydrated.

The wife was away for ten days and we were unable to go hunting with my little girl at home and the cold weather.

On Monday I grab my hunting coat and put in by the door. Immediately and miraculously he is able to walk around comfortably. I go to the basement and open the gun safe and I can here him pacing and whining. By the time I come up the stairs he is jumping up and down like a crazy person.

Retrieving sixteen fat northern mallards and a half dozen geese in icy cold water was the final piece of puzzle. He is back to 110% and as nutty as a fruit cake.

Cost of duck dog ownership….priceless

MK
Old 10-15-2009, 09:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
he looked depressed and a little dehydrated.

The wife was away for ten days and we were unable to go hunting
They say dogs are very good at feeding off of their owners mental state.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:14 PM

Over and above all of the above I keep $2000 set aside in case I need a vet as a result of an accident. I saw a Mal puncture a ****zuh, what if a car hits them and they need a cast? My dog does not play ion traffic but.............
I do not run to the vet (never have) but "what if".
I have a two year old yellow lab and got her at 8 weeks. I would do it again in a heartbeat!

Good luck and thanks for being a responsibloe owner.

T
Old 10-15-2009, 10:30 PM

Here in the States they figure $1000.00 per year for a sporting/hunting dog. This is what my pre-puppy-purchase research found. So far its running pretty close. The sporting/hunting breeds generally run more then the general house dog just because of the time spent running in an outdoors environment. A little more salve needed, a little more ointment, energy drinks/supplements, super glue...you get point.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:31 PM

Not to hijack the thread or banter backnforth, this topic strikes a cord with a recent incident id like to share..
while seeking permission from a landowner (with 60 some quarters of land!!) for the 009 antelope season, we struck into a discussion about pets (this included non-working horses, recreational livestock, dogs,fowl etc..) and his response was most peculiar.

his quote: "The poorer the man, the more (dogs) pets he has"

refering to owners who strive too attempt to supply the finest in food, lodging and care and yet they themselves, are driven to financial brink of disaster, owe people for hay/food, and lost respect of the community for there animal husbandry tactics in the process.
interesting quote to say the least..made me stop and think!

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 10-16-2009, 12:08 AM
Banned

Get Insurance, My dog got sick when he was a puppy $400, ate some mouse poison $350 got some facial Parallisis $180 a visit been to about 5 visits. You never know what could happen and some emergencies get costly.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:47 AM

It is not the cost of the pet but the worth that they provide to you. I had a doberman and was the best dam dog I have ever seen, there where a host of health issues with her that we had to work through, but it was her love that made the decision easy when it came to bills. The hard thing I have ever done was making that appointment to have put to sleep. I still think of her.
The other dog a english bulldog just had her anal gland removed, because they ruptured and would not stop draining. ($1300 ).
I asked my vet why dogs and cats are running into all these health issue in the senior years and she it is due the great increase in vet medicine is increasing the life span of pets.
My advice is get insurance, it is the best money you are going to spend on your pet.
With dog food the expensive vet food is good for you dog, so is the cheap stuff, the only difference I found was there was less poop to pick with the high end dog food. (they digest more of it).
For a large breed I would budget $80-$120/ month that is insurance, food, toys and regular vet check ups. If you have a agressive chewer some toys will not last a week, and are $25.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:33 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=
For a large breed I would budget $80-$120/ month that is insurance, food, toys and regular vet check ups. If you have a agressive chewer some toys will not last a week, and are $25.[/QUOTE]
I got a Pitbull, He goes through a good size bone in one Night and eats those rubber Kong things haha. Weimariners are good looking dogs tho. They had one on the Trailer park boys and the dog was eating old pizza crusts and drinking swish Lol
Old 10-16-2009, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes View Post
It is not the cost of the pet but the worth that they provide to you.
So true! My dog has brought unbelievable worth to our lives, he's my buddy and I don't know what I'd do without him now. I always thought when I heard of people spending thousands of dollars on their dogs for surgeries and other medical bills, that I'd never do that. Now having my dog I know there isn't any expense I wouldn't spend to keep him happy and healthy. Thus far I've been lucky, only regular visits to the vet for shots.

The biggest expense for us and our dog is his food and that isn't much. You can buy toys from the dollar stores or walmart, the pet store chains charge way too much for basic things. IMO don't believe a vet when they try to push a special diet on your dog and then recommend what they themselves carry. Most often the ingredients in those foods are the very same as a grocery store food at 3x the cost, do research if your dog ever ends up with allergies or food sensitivity. My dog is sensitive to wheat so I read labels to make sure a product doesn't have wheat in it. Someone here mentioned Orijen, that is a great food and it is locally produced here in Alberta, sadly my dog won't touch it and doesn't do well on the high protien but that is an option for feeding your dog.

I buy my bones from a local butcher, he sells the bones for dogs that people don't want from their game, cheaper than buying them from anywhere else. So if you hunt you can just get the person that cuts your meat to cut up marrow bones for you.

Good luck, you'll soon find out how soon they become a valued member of the family.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:22 AM

I still have not got my one year old lab to stop jumping on strangers. He won't jump on me but a complete stranger he jumps on. The other day I just about had to buy a guy a new leather jacket. This summer he ran past a young lady to sniff her dog and he knocked the lady over. I thought I was going to get sued. I guess those would be big costs if they come up. I am at my last resort with him jumping on people and might try a shock collar on him.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
On Sunday the yellow fellow was very ill. He looked depressed and had an upset stomach. He seemed weak and was having trouble walking. Fearing the worst I called the emergency number at the vet and rushed him down.

Three hundred dollars later the vet tells me there seems to be nothing wrong with him except he looked depressed and a little dehydrated.

The wife was away for ten days and we were unable to go hunting with my little girl at home and the cold weather.

On Monday I grab my hunting coat and put in by the door. Immediately and miraculously he is able to walk around comfortably. I go to the basement and open the gun safe and I can here him pacing and whining. By the time I come up the stairs he is jumping up and down like a crazy person.

Retrieving sixteen fat northern mallards and a half dozen geese in icy cold water was the final piece of puzzle. He is back to 110% and as nutty as a fruit cake.

Cost of duck dog ownership….priceless

MK
Just to repeat the last line. Have 3 dogs one is a puppy and a total pain in the butt. That said would easilly pay 10X the amount for what you get in return from them is priceless. Can't imagine not ever having atleast one dog.

2 are purebreed but latest is a mix, we had looked at the SPCA for a long time before we found this puppy(not from the SPCA) but just didn't find the right dog at the SPCA. We tried one but it ended up not liking our two. Mixes usually have less health problems and live longer, so thats what I'd go with unless you are set on a pure breed.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
I still have not got my one year old lab to stop jumping on strangers. He won't jump on me but a complete stranger he jumps on. The other day I just about had to buy a guy a new leather jacket. This summer he ran past a young lady to sniff her dog and he knocked the lady over. I thought I was going to get sued. I guess those would be big costs if they come up. I am at my last resort with him jumping on people and might try a shock collar on him.

Our puppy is getting big and started doing this, I've almost stopped it completely by pinning her to the ground on her side when she does it. She rarely tries it with me now and has almost stopped with the misses.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuntley12 View Post

2 are purebreed but latest is a mix, we had looked at the SPCA for a long time before we found this puppy(not from the SPCA) but just didn't find the right dog at the SPCA. We tried one but it ended up not liking our two. Mixes usually have less health problems and live longer, so thats what I'd go with unless you are set on a pure breed.
Not set on a purebred, I like mutts actually. I'm just more wanting to find a dog with traits as I described in earlier posts. If a Mutt from the SPCA is available, then I'm all over that to give it a good home.

I just don't know enough about dogs to size up a puppy from a shelter, to know what I'm getting myself into. With a purebred, at least I know the traits to largely expect.

How would a guy figure out if a mutt is right for them?
Old 10-16-2009, 08:22 AM

PUPPY

The rescue my best friend is a volunteer with has a 10 week old sheppard pup coming in this weekend I think. He's a pretty little guy! Look for Stooge on
pawsitivematch.org

He's so cute! They also have other puppies not yet weaned coming in.

As to costs of owning a dog. I would highly suggest pet insurance as we had a senior dog whose medical needs got very pricey. Sadly we lost him on Wednesday , he was 16 1/2.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:34 AM

We have 5 dogs, I know the costs, Insurance does help when the emergencies come up, here are a few quotes :

The bond with a true dog is as lasting
as the ties of this earth can ever be.
Konrad Lorenz

Dogs are not our whole life,
but they make our lives whole.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you
more than he loves himself.

If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go where they went.

Try locking your Dog and your wife in the trunk
you will find out who is happy to see you.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
How would a guy figure out if a mutt is right for them?
You'll know when you meet the right one You won't go home without him/her
Actually pawsitivematch really works at putting the right dog with the right owner. We recently fostered a 3 year old "mutt" who had diabetis and he was adopted by an RN who wanted a big sucky baby la la and that's what she got. He was an awesome dog, was hard to let him go when the time came.
If you want to talk to someone in that rescue, let me know and I can get you in touch with someone.

Tags
costs, dog, puppy