Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-17-2021, 05:56 PM
Buckshot82 Buckshot82 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 45
Default How far from road to shoot ducks?

this is what I have found,
It is unlawful to:

8. discharge a weapon within 183 m (200 yards) or cause a projectile from a weapon to pass within 183 m (200 yards) of any occupied building. Owners, occupants, or persons authorized by the owner or occupant are excepted, subject to local bylaws.

9. discharge a firearm from or cause a projectile from a firearm to pass along or across:
a) a provincial highway,
b) a road that is paved, oiled, graded or regularly maintained, unless
- the road is held under any active disposition under the Public Lands Act or under an order under the Surface Rights Act, or
- the person is hunting game birds with a shotgun under the authority of a licence.





So, based off this information, does this mean if I am on a backroad, and am passing a field I have permission on that has ducks/geese on a pond within shooting range from the roadway, can I hop out of my truck, load my shotgun, and engage the birds from the dirt road? I know that Iím going to get people asking why I would want to do that as itís not real hunting, Iím just wanting to know the legal aspect of it. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-17-2021, 05:58 PM
-JR- -JR- is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Edm.
Posts: 3,686
Default

Very good Question !
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-17-2021, 06:35 PM
MyAlberta MyAlberta is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,093
Default

Yes, assuming you are legal with everything else. You may be challenged on retrieval if shot on a pond with no method of recovery. Back road ditches often make excellent cover.
__________________
I get all the news I need in the weather report
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-17-2021, 10:14 PM
Buckshot82 Buckshot82 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAlberta View Post
Yes, assuming you are legal with everything else. You may be challenged on retrieval if shot on a pond with no method of recovery. Back road ditches often make excellent cover.
Sweet, yeah I have my upland and migratory bird, and the pal of course, being 18,working full time to support myself, I canít afford to throw money at stuff decoys and blinds and what not as itís not 1st priority. Although I love the hunt, I end up just jump shooting birds, usually not super successful haha, after a couple tries Iíve got enough for a nice dinner. Iíd love to get into owning a setup, but for now I have to use the resources I have. Being able to shoot from the ditch or gravel road will make my life a lot easier then trying to park on the opposite side of a field and trying to crawl across stubble. So I appreciate the feedback!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-17-2021, 10:19 PM
Buckshot82 Buckshot82 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAlberta View Post
Yes, assuming you are legal with everything else. You may be challenged on retrieval if shot on a pond with no method of recovery. Back road ditches often make excellent cover.
And my recovery method is pretty technical. A fishing rod and a 5 of diamonds spoon usually does the trick haha, very complicated I know
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-17-2021, 10:23 PM
MyAlberta MyAlberta is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,093
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot82 View Post
And my recovery method is pretty technical. A fishing rod and a 5 of diamonds spoon usually does the trick haha, very complicated I know
I found a floating plug works better.
__________________
I get all the news I need in the weather report
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-17-2021, 10:37 PM
Buckshot82 Buckshot82 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAlberta View Post
I found a floating plug works better.
Never would have though of thatÖ might have to throw one in the glove box and give it a shot
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-18-2021, 02:59 AM
KegRiver's Avatar
KegRiver KegRiver is offline
AO Sponsor
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: North of Peace River
Posts: 12,534
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot82 View Post
Never would have though of thatÖ might have to throw one in the glove box and give it a shot
It works well.

I've used it for over forty years to retrieve dead Beaver. Never tried it on bird though.
I have no place here to hunt birds over water, but I see no reason it wouldn't work.

My setup is a collapsible rod loaded with 20 pound line.
My float is 4 inches x 1 3/4" of willow branch with a 1/8" hole from end to end.

I run a length of light hay wire through that, twist one end to make an eye, and attach a 2" wide treble hook to the other end. Held by an eye in the wire made by twisting that end.

That's all there is to it. I made a hook protector by cutting a slot for the wire/line in the cap of a 2 1/2" wide medicine vial and I'm good to go.
__________________
Democracy substitutes election by the incompetent many for appointment by the corrupt few.

George Bernard Shaw
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-18-2021, 11:52 AM
Big Grey Wolf Big Grey Wolf is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 5,005
Default

Buckshot, you could also try to get a dog, they work well. Good luck on your pond hunts.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-18-2021, 12:12 PM
Buckshot82 Buckshot82 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Buckshot, you could also try to get a dog, they work well. Good luck on your pond hunts.
Some day in the future I would love to, Iíd like to get myself all situated to insure I can afford to give a dog the best life they can. Unfortunately that time hasnít come yet. Iíll just have to stick to my Walmart fishing tactics
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-19-2021, 09:17 AM
4x4bowhunter 4x4bowhunter is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: calgary
Posts: 267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot82 View Post
this is what I have found,
It is unlawful to:

8. discharge a weapon within 183 m (200 yards) or cause a projectile from a weapon to pass within 183 m (200 yards) of any occupied building. Owners, occupants, or persons authorized by the owner or occupant are excepted, subject to local bylaws.

9. discharge a firearm from or cause a projectile from a firearm to pass along or across:
a) a provincial highway,
b) a road that is paved, oiled, graded or regularly maintained, unless
- the road is held under any active disposition under the Public Lands Act or under an order under the Surface Rights Act, or
- the person is hunting game birds with a shotgun under the authority of a licence.





So, based off this information, does this mean if I am on a backroad, and am passing a field I have permission on that has ducks/geese on a pond within shooting range from the roadway, can I hop out of my truck, load my shotgun, and engage the birds from the dirt road? I know that Iím going to get people asking why I would want to do that as itís not real hunting, Iím just wanting to know the legal aspect of it. Thank you in advance!
I believe you have to be in the ditch, not actually still on the road. But as long as you are shooting away from the road and not along it, you are good to go. lots of people walk the ditches looking for grouse or partridge and pheasant. One thing I am not sure about is how far from your vehicle you must be. I believe that is a federal firearms requirement and not in the hunting regulations. Something worth looking up.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-19-2021, 09:41 AM
Buckshot82 Buckshot82 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4bowhunter View Post
I believe you have to be in the ditch, not actually still on the road. But as long as you are shooting away from the road and not along it, you are good to go. lots of people walk the ditches looking for grouse or partridge and pheasant. One thing I am not sure about is how far from your vehicle you must be. I believe that is a federal firearms requirement and not in the hunting regulations. Something worth looking up.
Did some quick searching,the only thing I can find is that you cannot be touching the truck, unless hunting antelope , when hunting antelope you must be 50 yards away.
ďnot discharging a firearm while in or on any motorized land vehicle or
trailer" is another line I found. So by the looks of things as long as Iím not touching the truck I will be okay. Iíll make sure to make my way into the ditch before I begin shooting just incase I canít be on the gravel road. Better safe then sorry I guess.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bird, duck, geese, pond, shotgun

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.