Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-09-2020, 10:45 AM

Post Irish Setter Boots

Hi Guys,

I'm in need of new boots for upland hunting only. I was researching the internet for reviews and read up on the irish setter wingshooters quite a bit. The real question is are they proven in Canadian upland habitat?

Thanks in advance,

Big Shooter

Last edited by TheBigShooter; 03-09-2020 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-09-2020, 11:14 AM

I have a pair of Setters (may not be the exact style your looking at)...nice and light (about the same weight as a pair of sneakers), split grain leather but strong, really nice soles (not Vibrum) don't hang on to debri and have surprisingly good traction, good ankle and foot bed support..and cactus needles do not go through the bottoms or sides , Not water proof but a little mink oil fixes that.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 03-09-2020, 11:33 AM
Banned

I wear mine for everything. I only have 2 seasons in them but they have been good so far. They are from the same company that makes Red Wings. I should've gotten a half size bigger for my comfort but that's the only mistake I made in buying them. They are second in comfort, for me, only to my Under Armor Speed Freaks that I had, but those had no insulation in them. The Irish Setters I got are 300g thinsate.
Old 03-09-2020, 12:00 PM

I bought a pair of the Wingshooters last fall. I wore them for about 30 days, and they were very comfortable, and totally waterproof
Old 03-09-2020, 12:18 PM

Have a pair of Havocs for hunting and a pair of Marshals for everyday---about the best boots I have ever owned.
Old 03-09-2020, 12:29 PM

I have had 3 pair of Havocs, used them for hunting one season but so comfortable I started wearing them for work (hence buying 3 pairs)....and I got another pair for hunting as well, like a really high end 8" tall waterproof sneaker! They are the Vapretrek model. Love them. I haven't had Wingshooters but have heard good reviews on them.

Irish Setter Men's 2873 Vaprtrek 8" Hunting Boot,Realtree Xtra Camouflage,12 D US https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00IVDCXDK/..._YSOzEbV15N7QE

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-09-2020, 02:05 PM

I wear my Elk Trackers on a continual basis , 4 years on them now .
Cat
Old 03-09-2020, 03:36 PM

Default Wing Shooters

4 hard upland seasons on my Wing Shooters. Love them.
Old 03-09-2020, 04:19 PM

Haven’t had luck with the elk trackers wouldn’t recommend them. I do like red wing work boots and can’t understand why the elk trackers are so poor in comparison.
Old 03-09-2020, 04:25 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
Haven’t had luck with the elk trackers wouldn’t recommend them. I do like red wing work boots and can’t understand why the elk trackers are so poor in comparison.
Had the exact opposite experience with Elk Trackers.
Wore out the first pair (took 11 years of hard hunting).
Three or four on the second set now.
Zero Complaints...

Cheers,
Nog
Old 03-09-2020, 07:36 PM

Irish Setters are made by Red Wing Shoes in RedWing Minnesota. I was there this last September and they have been in business over a 100 years and still have North America as their primary market. I have Irish Setter boots that I bought here in Edmonton and then bought a pair of casual shoes while I was there, $325.00. They are not cheap, but their factory tour demonstrates they are not after the mass markets, but servicing the people that want reliability and longevity in their foot wear. They admit that they try to have as many sizes and shapes of foot water as possible, but as the old saying says, "If the shoe fits, wear it" If it doesn't, don't necessarily blame it on the manufacturer, it may be they just don't have a product that fits your feet just right. Quality of construction, now that is some thing you can judge any company on.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:54 PM

Not all of the models are made in the USA I believe the elk trackers model is one of the Chinese models. I don’t want to poo poo anyone’s fav brand or boot but I didn’t have luck with these ones the sole was shot in the first 2 seasons and they leak like a pasta strainer plus hold water like a sponge. Maybe the older USA made models We’re a lot better. These boots came highly recommended to me and I was really excited to get them now I can’t wait to purchase a different manufactures model to wright this off as a failed experiment.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry D View Post
Irish Setters are made by Red Wing Shoes in RedWing Minnesota. I was there this last September and they have been in business over a 100 years and still have North America as their primary market. I have Irish Setter boots that I bought here in Edmonton and then bought a pair of casual shoes while I was there, $325.00. They are not cheap, but their factory tour demonstrates they are not after the mass markets, but servicing the people that want reliability and longevity in their foot wear. They admit that they try to have as many sizes and shapes of foot water as possible, but as the old saying says, "If the shoe fits, wear it" If it doesn't, don't necessarily blame it on the manufacturer, it may be they just don't have a product that fits your feet just right. Quality of construction, now that is some thing you can judge any company on.
The Irish Setter Wingshooters that the OP is asking about, are made in Vietnam, or at least it states that they are right n the inside of the tongue. In fact when I purchased these boots last fall, all of the Irish Setter boots that I looked at, were made overseas.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:31 PM

I have worn a pair of Irish Setters fro upland hunting for the past 40 years. They are unlined, and I have had to do a couple of stitch repairs with braided trolling line over the years, but they have been outstanding! I have the crepe soles and they are very light. However, the crepe soles suck on snow or heavy frost. But the weight advantage over lug soles is undeniable.
Old 03-10-2020, 07:55 AM

Thanks Everyone for your input!
Old 03-10-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
Have a pair of Havocs for hunting and a pair of Marshals for everyday---about the best boots I have ever owned.
Yep, both mine made in Vietnam
Old 03-10-2020, 12:30 PM

I bought a pair of Irish setters a while back and didn’t like the fit when walking long distances.
Switched to Lowa renegade specifically for upland hunting and I can say it’s the best decision I’ve ever made 😁
Old 03-10-2020, 04:46 PM

I avoid any boot with a lot of stitching or moccasin style toes. They wear out too fast in the areas I hunt. Hiking style with full rubber rand only for me. I do not mind the weight.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:53 PM

I have used Irish Setter Ravines for last three falls hunting, mostly in lots of walking for pheasants. They are quite light and very comfortable, and except for once in deep wet snow have kept my feet dry in all kinds of conditions. They do not show much wear and would have no hesitation to recommend them for upland hunting. When looking for boots I tried on a number of boots at the Red Wing store and these are the one I liked the best. Recommend going to one of their stores and finding what feels best for you.

I also have a pair of Wolverines 800 gram insulated waterproof boots I use for waterfowl hunts. The Wolverines are much heavier, much more rigid and completely waterproof, and I really like them on cold wet muddy mornings in a goose blind. But Not near as comfortable as the Irish Setters for walking.
Old 03-11-2020, 01:10 PM

Setters are decent boots. I find the stitching is the first area you’ll find leaks. Stay on top of conditioning them and they’ll last a lot longer.
Old 03-15-2020, 08:30 AM

I too love my setters. Going on 4 seasons. My only complaint is with the thinsulate they put in them they are good for about 5C to -15 if your active but if your sitting still for any period over 30 mins my feet get cold in -10.
Old 03-15-2020, 11:37 AM

I'm a big Irish Setter fan, I find they are the only boots that will fit my unusually wide semi bunions. I have I think 6 different models and the only complaint is with the Vaportreks. Excellent boot, very light and comfortable and work fine in snow, but if you ever put a foot on bare ice you are going down. Exactly like strapping a crazy carpet to your foot. It's actually amazing how slippery those soles are on ice.

Tags
hunting boots, irish setter, upland