Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-28-2019, 12:48 AM

Default Your latest ever bear sighting before winter hibernation

I have seen bears roaming around as I'm out, but I am curious what is the latest date in the year you have seen a free-roaming bear before winter hibernation (referring strictly to the bear's hibernation - not your own ). The latest I have seen is:

Blackbear: First week October (Alberta)
Grizzly: Never have scene one (not disappointed)

Thanks,
WeaselBeard
Old 10-28-2019, 05:43 AM

Last January I saw one by my house out in the country but there was logging going on so I take it that it’s den might have got wrecked. It might not have been good to run into that beat while out for a walk.
Old 10-28-2019, 07:56 AM

I've seen lots of black bears in mild Novembers. I'm sure you'd see them later occasionally as well but I'm not out at all in December. Since they don't actually hibernate they do tend to get up and stretch their legs throughout the winter.
"The world around me disappeared. I caressed the trigger with my index finger, knowing that a scant two pounds of pressure would cause it to unleash the firing pin and set in motion a series of events that would be catastrophic for one of us." - T.J Schwanky
Old 10-28-2019, 08:23 AM

Default bears

Blacks usually go down when first major snowfall in late October, Grizz males come out any month in winter, females & cubs down early November. You do not need to see bear, tracks in snow tell the tale. Most grizz tracks disappear by late November on trapline, Edson area.
Old 10-28-2019, 08:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Blacks usually go down when first major snowfall in late October, Grizz males come out any month in winter, females & cubs down early November. You do not need to see bear, tracks in snow tell the tale. Most grizz tracks disappear by late November on trapline, Edson area.
What he said 👍
Old 10-28-2019, 11:37 PM

Last year third week of November and mild, came across a few blackbears while hunting.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:38 AM

Im a little spooked this year to start snaring as there a number of grizz in my area out here on the prairie . Prebaiting is out of the question and im hoping they are all asleep by Dec 1 . Been at least 4 in my 2 best spots .

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-2019, 08:10 AM

Over the years I've heard it has to do with photoperiodism more than temperature. Not enough daylight each day for feeding they pack it in. Usually around now most of the blacks are gone. Grizz no.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:57 AM

Up north black bears are all sleeping after the first good Oct snow. The odd one may still be moving mid October but very rare.
I followed a grizzly Nov 25 through a couple feet of snow a few years ago, but that’s the latest I’ve seen one “still out”
I’ve had them wake up and wonder on the Trapline late December, January, February and March. But that was on my Alberta line.

Interestingly I’ve never seen one that woke up and wandered in the north country. Maybe the increased cold and snow keeps them down.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:18 AM
Banned

Up north last year on my property my cameras had bears walking around until nov 7th if not a few days after.
Old 10-29-2019, 10:47 AM

Small blonde bear.. 2018 in mid november north of grande prairie
Old 10-29-2019, 01:52 PM

First week of November for black down by Calgary is the latest I’ve seen one. Small young blond bear in the ghost area. It was an oddity and hasent been repeated. P
Old 10-29-2019, 01:57 PM

Seen a few black bears out on Dec 31 out by Skeleton Lake raiding a garbage can a few years ago. No I had not started drinking yet.

Latest Griz I can remember was mid November while driving through Jasper.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 10-29-2019, 03:19 PM

Have seen pre hibernation black bears as late as mid November.
Usually gone in by now though.

Did see a 2 year old black bear late January one year . In 2 feet of snow. We were both confused. I thought for a second I was staring at a world record Wolf. Lol. Then my eyes focused
Figure he was sleeping somewhere that water ran Into. It was a warm couple days with water running. Got him up and out searching for a new home.
Old 10-30-2019, 06:06 PM
Gone Hunting

Saw two large Blacks less then an hour ago.

Guess they haven't denned up yet.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-30-2019, 08:07 PM

My father-in-law and I once saw a large grizzly near the old public shooting range at Sibbald Flats (west of Calgary) in February. It was around 8-9am and -25 C.
Old 10-30-2019, 08:27 PM

Last year I bumped into a black bear second week of November, lots of snow on the ground and it was very cold already. I came up over a hill and was face to face with him about 20-30 yards apart. Never saw anything run so fast!!!
Old 10-30-2019, 08:51 PM

Default today

SaW a Sow and a cub in great shape today .
Old 10-30-2019, 10:07 PM

Latest I've ever personally seen one is the last day of November about 7 or 8 years ago. Last year I had one get a couple beehives sometime between mid december and mid March and there wasn't much for a warm spell in that time either. My best guess is that he was hibernating in an old wooden granary near by that got burned over the winter. Both black bears by the way.
Old 10-31-2019, 01:24 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snijders96 View Post
was face to face with him about 20-30 yards apart. Never saw anything run so fast!!!

You or the bear?

Kidding!

I had a similar experiance many years ago. I was hunting Deer along a small river valley. Stepped over a fallen log onto something very soft.
Next thing I know a Bear burst out from under that log and charged down the slope, stopping to look back when it got to the bottom, I believe, to see what had stepped on it.

For my part, I wasn't going anywhere. My legs wouldn't work and my heart was beating so hard my ribs hurt.
That was probibly fortunate cause if any part of me had moved I would most likley have needed clean underwear.

It was a good ten minutes before I could walk properly. I didn't hunt any more that day.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-31-2019, 07:10 AM

Ive seen 2 sets of blackie tracks on the fresh snow in the last couple days around bonnyville. Weve had some -20 nights. Must be confused.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
You or the bear?

Kidding!

I had a similar experiance many years ago. I was hunting Deer along a small river valley. Stepped over a fallen log onto something very soft.
Next thing I know a Bear burst out from under that log and charged down the slope, stopping to look back when it got to the bottom, I believe, to see what had stepped on it.

For my part, I wasn't going anywhere. My legs wouldn't work and my heart was beating so hard my ribs hurt.
That was probibly fortunate cause if any part of me had moved I would most likley have needed clean underwear.

It was a good ten minutes before I could walk properly. I didn't hunt any more that day.

😂😂😂 totally! I was so stunned at the time, figured bears would have been sleeping. Was just out for a morning hunt 10 mins from my friends cabin, left the bear spray at home! Actually thought to myself before leaving “this won’t be long, I won’t need that” 😂😂😂 I was pretty happy he ran the other way. Wasn’t expecting it at all.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
You or the bear?

Kidding!

Was it a black bear or grizzly?
Old 10-31-2019, 09:56 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiekid View Post
Was it a black bear or grizzly?
At the moment it was a ten foot tall Grizzly.
Ten minutes later it was a smallish 2 year old Blackie.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-07-2019, 07:18 AM
Banned

got a few text msgs in last night at 4 am on a large black bear crossing in front of one of my cameras.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:48 AM
Gone Hunting

My kid brother has been seeing a black bear every morning in a field he is hunting.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-07-2019, 05:57 PM

Default Your latest ever bear sighting before winter hibernation

Yesterday one big bear sitting on a edge of a field eating oats.

Its a new one for me.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:25 PM

Saw about a 400lb black bear boar on Sunday
Old 11-07-2019, 10:44 PM

I killed a black bear Oct 18 in the north peace country
I saw others
Old 11-08-2019, 01:09 AM

Last year, end of October, was hiking in the back of my place with my dog, Stew.
Heading towards a big white spruce that is a bit of a landmark, we were about 75' from the tree when I noticed something a ways up the tree, first thought was someone put a tree stand up there (this was on my mind because someone had in the past). I stopped and looked closer and realized it was a small Black bear, then saw another below it, and another one below that one! And about 6' off the ground I could make out a 4th one in the branches. I assumed that was Mom on the bottom, and the other 3 were her cubs. Luckily Stew was right with me and hadn't winded them, I told him we had a change of plans and headed in a different direction.
I'm glad Stew didn't spot them, I had a rifle, but had no desire to open that can of worms!!

Tags
bear