Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-27-2018, 04:51 AM

Default Looking for Cutthroat Near Etherington Campground

Me and my wife are going camping at Etherington Campground this weekend. I would like to try and tick Cutthroat of my list of fish caught while there. We are coming from central Sask, and we have never been to the area before.

From my research it looks like most streams in the area have Cutthroat in them. I am just wondering if anyone has any tips on what kind of flies they might be biting on this time of year, or some good areas to start looking for them. We are wanting to do some hiking while we are there too so if there are some hike in areas that are less pressured we would definitely be up for that too.

Thanks!
Old 08-27-2018, 09:19 AM

If you wish to try a lake with stocked cutties and also bog brookies, go to:-https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mhdk6iuotzvifhw/AADmDNsCZNq9ly9s5WlI6n18a?dl=0
and look at Muskiki Lake.
Cheers
Old 08-27-2018, 09:54 AM

Etherington creek has a few Cutts, but very few. Stocked years ago to establish a wild population but, from what I know, the Cutts didn't do well and the flood of 2013 did't help. Not many there, but you might find some.

To the north of Etherington, the Highwood river has Cutt's - not a real productive system, but they are there. Some stretches have good numbers, some not many, but they are there and some very nice sized fish as well. It is likely your closest option. If you want to hike and try a lake, Picklejar lakes (the trailhead is at Lantern creek) has lots of small Cutts. An hour hike, beautiful area and lots of fish. Be certain to have bear spray and be aware of your surroundings. Very good Grizzly country.
To the south, the Livingstone and Oldman systems are very productive systems for Cutts. They are an hour drive (give or take) from Etherington. Cataract is close to Etherington and is a productive Brookie stream.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:36 PM

Your best bet, if you want to stay close to Etherington, is to fish the Highwood. You'll drive right over it, heading to Etherington. The Livingstone would be my choice. A little farther of drive, but worth it. (March browns) were working well.... lots of fish gathering in the bigger holes. Good luck.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsa313 View Post
If you wish to try a lake with stocked cutties and also bog brookies, go to:-https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mhdk6iuotzvifhw/AADmDNsCZNq9ly9s5WlI6n18a?dl=0
and look at Muskiki Lake.
Cheers
Thanks for the link! That is an awesome resource! Unfortunately Muskiki is a bit to far north for us this time. I'll have to keep it on the radar and maybe make that our next trip out there.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:12 PM

@martind25 @Bigfeet Thanks for the replies!

I think I will try the highwood for sure. I read around strawberry equestrian there were some good holes for cutties. Have either of you tried around that area?

Picklejar Lake sounds like a good hike! I would be interested in longer hikes to if you know of any. We will probably be doing 3 or 4 hikes while we are there.

While depend a little on where we end up hiking and what the weather is like if I have time to fish livingstone or not.

Thanks for your help guys! any particular flies you would recommend? I have an assortment of dry flies, nymphs, and wholly buggers, but any specific colors or types, would be super helpful!

Tags
cutthroat, etherington, fly fishing, hiking, trout