Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-28-2018, 03:39 PM

Question Seasoning a cast iron pan

Bought a cast iron pan from Cabela's that claimed to be seasoned, it wasn't seasoned at all.

Tried using this gel (Camp Chef Cast Iron Conditioner) that said it would season the pan. Rubbed it on and put it in the oven as instructed. Did this 3 times and it still wasn't seasoned.

Went back to Cabela's and they said the conditioner is more for maintenance not the initial season. The sales associate instructed me to rub lard all over the pan and leave a few big chunks in the pan and throw it in the oven. Melt the lard down and then let it cool and harden in the pan. Then smear the lard everywhere again and repeat. Melt, cool, smear, melt, cool, smear.... 3 or 4 times.

How have you seasoned your cast irons?

Thanks in advance for your tips and tricks!
Old 07-28-2018, 03:53 PM

I seasoned mine with oil. Lightly rubbed the whole pan and seasoned it on the BBQ. that way it didn't smell up the house
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" 1935-Adolf Hitler
Old 07-28-2018, 03:56 PM

A few thin coats. To much oil just makes gum. Thin coat, bake, repeat, till you are happy. THIN coats.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-28-2018, 04:22 PM

And before the pan is fully seasoned cook with butter, or 1/2 butter 1/2 oil - you will be surprised how non-stick butter is.
Old 07-28-2018, 04:24 PM

I take a pragmatic approach (or maybe it is lazy ) with my cast iron.
  • Cook with it
  • Clean with salt (and oil if needed)
  • repeat

I don't understand why people make such a fuss about seasoning cast iron, keep the soap away from the cast iron and it pretty much seasons itself.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 07-28-2018, 04:33 PM

My number one trick for cast. When cooking with it, bring it up to temp, add seasoning and give it a minute to come up to temp and then add food. Always non stick.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-28-2018, 06:08 PM

Fry onions in Butter, don't over heat the pan. Wash in hot water only, no soap. Repeat. Voila!
Old 07-28-2018, 07:11 PM

Default Soap

If you regularly use your cast iron it is okay to use soap. If not, clean with hot water, heat, oil it and heat it up. Many will chastise me, but it works. BEL
Old 07-28-2018, 07:34 PM

I do what this guy says. And he has a lot of good recipes too.

https://youtu.be/qBX5eA9pdsY
Old 07-28-2018, 07:39 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljSQrSoSYAE
Old 07-28-2018, 08:58 PM

Heat it up with oil or lard until it just starts to smoke than let it cool down and repeat.
I prefer bear lard for this.
Some of the newer pans are rough and I have had to use a flap disk or a grinder to polish them before seasoning.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
I take a pragmatic approach (or maybe it is lazy ) with my cast iron.
  • Cook with it
  • Clean with salt (and oil if needed)
  • repeat

I don't understand why people make such a fuss about seasoning cast iron, keep the soap away from the cast iron and it pretty much seasons itself.

ARG

x2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-28-2018, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophyhunter View Post
x2

X3
Old 07-29-2018, 07:29 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

A few pounds of bacon cooked in it would solve any problems, drain, whipe with paper towel and store until needed again.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-29-2018, 10:11 AM

Flax seed oil. When your pan is clean one capsule and wipe it down till you can hardly tell it’s there and heat to smoke point. Baconfat and lard will get rancid unless you are using your pans regularly.
Less oil is better.
If you look in the vitamin aisle at Walmart you will find Flax Seed oil capsules.
If it’s a typical Lodge like pan they are not finished very smooth and you might want to sand down the surface till it’s smooth. There are tons of vids on Youtube.
Have fun.
Old 07-29-2018, 01:28 PM
Banned

Little different direction but there are so many good old pans out there that cost no more than a new lodge, somethims less, stip em season them the way you like, I can see my reflection in all ten of mine once you wipe em down with a bit of Pam
Old 07-29-2018, 04:14 PM

Get a orbital sander in that pan and smooth it out. Most new pans are so rough. Oil it, Then use it. use it and use it some more. I have 2 cast pans that I own rel-estate hanging above the stove and a dutch oven that get used almost as much.
Brad
Old 07-29-2018, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmitty27 View Post
Get a orbital sander in that pan and smooth it out. Most new pans are so rough. Oil it, Then use it. use it and use it some more. I have 2 cast pans that I own rel-estate hanging above the stove and a dutch oven that get used almost as much.
Brad
This! Most new cast iron pans have a coating. That coating and rough surface has to go
Old 07-29-2018, 10:55 PM

Not sure why so many are recommending surfacing cast iron pans, the textured surfaces are less likely to stick than a flat surface and provide a better surface for the seasoning to cling to. Having the textured surface is a plus when it comes to having nooks and crannies for oil and butter and juices to be under whatever you're cooking compared to something ground entirely flat, but go ahead and customize/vandalize your own property as you see fit.
Old 07-30-2018, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Not sure why so many are recommending surfacing cast iron pans, the textured surfaces are less likely to stick than a flat surface and provide a better surface for the seasoning to cling to. Having the textured surface is a plus when it comes to having nooks and crannies for oil and butter and juices to be under whatever you're cooking compared to something ground entirely flat, but go ahead and customize/vandalize your own property as you see fit.
Many of these are just got out of the casting sand type of rough, not nice fine grooves to hold the seasoning...
Old 07-30-2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Each to their own but my old cast pans are amazing and smooth as glass. Compared to new Cast textured pan they are not in the same class. I have one lodge pan and its decent, but I sanded it smooth, after being frustrated with it for a couple of months.
Brad
Old 07-30-2018, 08:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmitty27 View Post
Each to their own but my old cast pans are amazing and smooth as glass. Compared to new Cast textured pan they are not in the same class. I have one lodge pan and its decent, but I sanded it smooth, after being frustrated with it for a couple of months.
Brad
Same experience here except once i sanded my lodge i ended up doing the inside walls as well, it then seasoned up great. The rough lodge was no where near as easy to work with as my old smooth stuff, not even comparable.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:55 PM

Same here.
I have a 1920ish Griswold that is very smooth and slick.
I polished up newer one that finally made it useable.
It is a lot better but not quite as good as the Griswold.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
A few pounds of bacon cooked in it would solve any problems, drain, whipe with paper towel and store until needed again.
BACON IS THE ANSWER!!
What was the question??
Cat
Old 07-31-2018, 07:14 AM
Banned

Ya gotta take it to the Doctor!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FalpXs9b1FA
Old 07-31-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
BACON IS THE ANSWER!!

What was the question??

Cat

x2!!

Old 07-31-2018, 08:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
BACON IS THE ANSWER!!
What was the question??
Cat
Lol, true statement
Old 08-01-2018, 06:24 PM

Default seasoning cast iron pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
X2.
I grew up not knowing they made other types of pans because my dad only used cast iron pans. He would cook the bacon and drained it off into a small soup can. he would then dip into the saved bacon grease to season the pans because my mom would throw them into the soapy water.

Bacon grease is what I am used too. Thin layers applied with paper towel.
Old 08-01-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese&quackers View Post
Bought a cast iron pan from Cabela's that claimed to be seasoned, it wasn't seasoned at all.

Tried using this gel (Camp Chef Cast Iron Conditioner) that said it would season the pan. Rubbed it on and put it in the oven as instructed. Did this 3 times and it still wasn't seasoned.

Went back to Cabela's and they said the conditioner is more for maintenance not the initial season. The sales associate instructed me to rub lard all over the pan and leave a few big chunks in the pan and throw it in the oven. Melt the lard down and then let it cool and harden in the pan. Then smear the lard everywhere again and repeat. Melt, cool, smear, melt, cool, smear.... 3 or 4 times.

How have you seasoned your cast irons?

Thanks in advance for your tips and tricks!
Well, the associate was on the right track...
In the hotel I worked in, we would take some lard/baccon fat and heat it up just short of smoking (you'll know it is hot) and pour some salt in it...about 1/2 inch deep and pretend to saute mushrooms in it.
Let it set and cool to touch.
Dump salt out and wipe er down.
Bob's yer Uncle and its cooking time.
Don't wash it out with soapy water, just wipe it clean.
A touch may be required , but thats up to you and the Mrs on when it needs doing.
Rob
Old 08-02-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .257Weatherby View Post
Well, the associate was on the right track...
In the hotel I worked in, we would take some lard/baccon fat and heat it up just short of smoking (you'll know it is hot) and pour some salt in it...about 1/2 inch deep and pretend to saute mushrooms in it.
Let it set and cool to touch.
Dump salt out and wipe er down.
Bob's yer Uncle and its cooking time.
Don't wash it out with soapy water, just wipe it clean.
A touch may be required , but thats up to you and the Mrs on when it needs doing.
Rob

Exactly this^^^ and I would only add to brown the salt and to use a dry paper towel.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology

Last edited by creeky; 08-02-2018 at 08:34 AM.

Tags
cabelas, cast iron, cooking, help?, tips