Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-03-2017, 07:11 PM

Default Lower Highwood right now?

My friend just got land on the lower Highwood (between okotoks and where it meets with the Sheep), and we thought there would be some fish there at this time in the season. Been out the last two weekends and haven't seen anything. Tried the trusty rapalas, nyphing, and streamers that usually work well on the Bow/Elbow but no action at all. Would anyone mind telling us if/when the fishing picks up? My guess it is still a little too high. Any info would help, thanks!

Last edited by sammers; 07-03-2017 at 07:29 PM.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammers View Post
My friend just got land on the lower Highwood (between okotoks and where it meets with the Sheep), and we thought there would be some fish there at this time in the season. Been out the last two weekends and haven't seen anything. Tried the trusty rapalas, nyphing, and streamers that usually work well on the Bow/Elbow but no action at all. Would anyone mind telling us if/when the fishing picks up? My guess it is still a little too high. Any info would help, thanks!
Ive only fished that river a few times and had noluck.....what spinners are you using? on some other rivers,Livingstone/Oldman/Bow Ive used red devil spoons, mepps blackfury, vibram fox with some success...
Old 07-04-2017, 12:06 PM

it is primarily a nursery for the Bow river, most of the fish will be 4 - 12"s. i'd stick with the nymphing, I've caught a lot of fish in that area.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:02 PM

Ok, great. Thanks. I will keep trying and hopefully see some fish. To be clear I was spinning with Rapalas and fly fishing with nymphs/streamers.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:47 AM

Nice area. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Tags
fishing, fly fishing, highwood river, okotoks, spin casting