Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-14-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red783 View Post
I just bought my first bow. I am wanting to see if I can first find a blackie and then take it home, anyone tell me of some good WMUs west of Calgary that might be a good start? and any help would be much needed

-Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by red783 View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies. I totally understand what your saying minus the numb nuts who commented first.

I am already pretty handy with a bow. I was more asking where people might suggest. I'm not asking for cords I'm just asking what wmu's west of Calgary might be better to start scouting out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwolf View Post
And you assume it's a new bow hunter? It couldn't possibly be as experienced bow hunter who made a mistake?

How many animals have you seen with arrows in them?

Welll since you asked Bigwolf.. it just so happens there was a Rabbit in NE Calgary on the news just yesterday with an arrow sticking out of it.

Perhaps this is his practice, and figured he is right handy with a bow already after hitting a target as small as a rabbit, after just buying his first bow!!!

It isnt a stretch by any means to think a person is a NEW bow hunter, when the first thing they say is " I just bought my FIRST bow" No matter how many times you shot bunnies with your buddies bow, you are still very green and new at bow hunting. Likely shouldn't be chasing a bear. And the "numb Nuts" who posted first was 100% correct. He wasn't being cynical or sarcastic in anyway. He was saying the absolute truth.

Last edited by CanadianEh; 04-14-2017 at 08:32 AM.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:27 PM

That picture does not prove a rookie bow hunter shot that rabbit. It could have been a pro making a mistake. We cant blame rookie bow hunters for every poor shot taken. Any long time hunter knows mistakes happen. It does not make it right, but it does happen.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwolf View Post
That picture does not prove a rookie bow hunter shot that rabbit. It could have been a pro making a mistake. We cant blame rookie bow hunters for every poor shot taken. Any long time hunter knows mistakes happen. It does not make it right, but it does happen.

I agree It does not mean anything. Aside form the fact you asked how many animals have you seen with an arrow in them. I found it was a coincidence that it happened yesterday.

If you follow any hunting personalities, they will be the first to tell you they have made a poorly placed shot.. or flat out made a bad decision. Such is life.

The point is, those same guys practice all year long, and they STILL may miss a shot. No one just picks up a bow and is a master in minutes.
Old 04-14-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianEh View Post
I agree It does not mean anything. Aside form the fact you asked how many animals have you seen with an arrow in them. I found it was a coincidence that it happened yesterday.

If you follow any hunting personalities, they will be the first to tell you they have made a poorly placed shot.. or flat out made a bad decision. Such is life.

The point is, those same guys practice all year long, and they STILL may miss a shot. No one just picks up a bow and is a master in minutes.

This is very true! Couldn't have said it better myself.

Tags
black bear, bow hunting, calgary area