Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-17-2016, 05:09 PM

Default Techniques that work for both trout and pike

Hey everyone. I've been fishing the glenmore reservoir lately and have been successful catching pike on most trips with spoons. I brought out my fly rod to target trout but have been skunked most times. I would rather catch some trout that I can bring home and BBQ but find catching the pike fun even though I always release. I'm wondering if anyone knows a way that you can target both species so that I have the option to catch both pike and trout using the same method and don't have to target one species alone. It seems to me that a lake with trout and pike together is pretty rare so I don't know if there are any methods that work for both fish. The trout never seem to hit the spoons and the pike never seem to eat the flies.

Thanks!
Old 09-17-2016, 06:31 PM

Not much in the way of techniques that will really work for both. Your best bet is to go out and try for trout to start and then when you get bored switch to pike for some entertainment. Eventually you will figure out how to catch the trout better.
Old 09-17-2016, 06:35 PM

crankbaits and spinners are effective for both.
Old 09-17-2016, 07:00 PM

rooster tail spinners work for both as do leech patterns and other streamers

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2016, 01:28 AM

Sure you can catch both rainbow trout and pike on the same type of lures(streamers, spoons, spinners, crankbaits etc) but the actual specific lures you would use to best target each each species are completely different.

If you use a small spoon/spinner/crankbait for rainbows you won't catch many pike and the ones you do hook will have a good chance at breaking you off since you will need to use lighter fluoro as a leader for rainbows.

If you use heavy fluoro or wire leaders for pike then you won't catch rainbows, similarly if you use pike type spoons, spinners, crankbaits etc.

Like I said before trying to find a technique that works for both is not the correct method. Target one species then target the other if you get bored. You will learn how to catch both species this way and will become a much better angler then if you try to find a magical lure that doesn't exist.
Old 09-18-2016, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgz View Post
Hey everyone. I've been fishing the glenmore reservoir lately and have been successful catching pike on most trips with spoons. I brought out my fly rod to target trout but have been skunked most times. I would rather catch some trout that I can bring home and BBQ but find catching the pike fun even though I always release. I'm wondering if anyone knows a way that you can target both species so that I have the option to catch both pike and trout using the same method and don't have to target one species alone. It seems to me that a lake with trout and pike together is pretty rare so I don't know if there are any methods that work for both fish. The trout never seem to hit the spoons and the pike never seem to eat the flies.

Thanks!
Except for spring pike and walleye, I fly fish almost exclusively. I catch the odd pike on the Bow River when using streamer flies. wooly buggers, medusas, bow river buggers all catch both pike and trout. The biggest issue is, most of the time, by the time I confirm I have caught a pike, the line breaks because I do not have a pike-appropriate leader.

Like others have said, I would target either pike or trout, not both.
Old 09-18-2016, 04:02 PM

I was watching fishful thinker the spring and he said in any "trout and x" lake the go to bait is a silver jerk bait.

But in glenmore I don't think that the trout and pike normally use the same water. Though to date I have not caught a trout. But I think I have seen them on the sounder 10 ' down in the deeper parts of the lake . For me the pike come in the cabbage or tight to the bank.

The pike are small enough 15-20 lb floro leader should cover you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1285...8SjjiVOueYhMF0

Tags
glenmore, pike, species, trout