Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-20-2016, 09:51 AM

Default Shooting west of Caroline

Hey Guys,
i want to head out this weekend to do some target shooting.
i crown land camp around Caroline pretty often. There are so many oil sites around that area. Google earth makes the area look like a patchwork quilt!
Am i allowed to (RESPONSIBLY) shoot off of these un-gated oil site roads?
There a few of these roads that go to the middle of nowhere, there are often large areas of clear cut dissecting these roads. i certainly dont want to be a nuisance to anyone, just want to get out and have an afternoon of fun.

thanks
Old 04-20-2016, 12:25 PM

Default Shooting west of Caroline

Yea you can, just make sure you have a back stop to shoot into, and stay off of live wells, oh and also be sure to clean up any mess, even if it wasn't yours to begin with this includes brass, targets, anything and everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2016, 12:28 PM

Many of these stations will have notices posted that don't allow firearm discharge within a certain distance (I've seen 200m?), but other than that, I don't think there would be a reason you couldn't shoot. Assuming the land is crown land, not owned by any individuals or corporations, and you can find a suitable back stop.

Could be wrong, have been before. Sorry I don't have any facts for you. (but hey, free bump!)
Old 04-20-2016, 06:20 PM

I've seen a gravel pit or two dug out in the area north of the hunter Ed turnoff.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:41 PM
Banned

Caroline has a small shooting area just off highway up swan lake road off highway 54
Old 04-21-2016, 07:35 AM
Banned

I usually reframe from shooting anywhere north of the second bridge on rig street because it's so frequently used by people camping etc. I always head further south when I shoot. I grew up in the area so I have a pretty good idea on safety issues and what's off in the distance where I shoot and on several occasions walked the lease roads hunting grouse with no problems. I'm sure those who use the area are familiar with them but they now have the big foot posted in spots that it's probably not a good idea to shoot or camp at for those who aren't sure. I along with the rest of the users in the area seem to respect these posted signs and it's great to see no one is destroying them. Have fun out there !

Tags
caroline, crown, land, shooting