Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-16-2016, 11:30 AM

Smile Snow Goose Hunting Alberta/Sask

Hey all out there. I am looking for reports of snows coming into Alberta and Saskatchewan. I am stuck in Calgary working during the week and left to dream. I was hoping that maybe this could be a great place to track the Snows as they make there way north? I am also looking for farmers or landowners that would let me hunt the snows this spring. If you know of anyone please let me know. Thanks
Old 03-16-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj_1978 View Post
Hey all out there. I am looking for reports of snows coming into Alberta and Saskatchewan. I am stuck in Calgary working during the week and left to dream. I was hoping that maybe this could be a great place to track the Snows as they make there way north? I am also looking for farmers or landowners that would let me hunt the snows this spring. If you know of anyone please let me know. Thanks
No offense but you won't be very successful unless you put in some miles,locate birds then ask permission.no Landowner is Gona say"yup snows on my place come an hunt" on this forum.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:58 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman160 View Post
No offense but you won't be very successful unless you put in some miles,locate birds then ask permission.no Landowner is Gona say"yup snows on my place come an hunt" on this forum.
I agree with you but had a good trip out to Saskatchewan last year based on a lead from this forum for a farmer asking to come hunt on there land. So I figure the more places you look the better your chances of finding something. I do put in hours of scouting and looking but what can it hurt.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:24 PM

Quote:
I agree with you but had a good trip out to Saskatchewan last year based on a lead from this forum for a farmer asking to come hunt on there land. So I figure the more places you look the better your chances of finding something. I do put in hours of scouting and looking but what can it hurt.
Was it the guy by kerrobert lol
Old 03-17-2016, 08:59 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Was it the guy by kerrobert lol
Yes it was actually super nice guy.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Yes it was actually super nice guy.
How'd ya do??!!
Old 03-17-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
How'd ya do??!!
they "had fun"....(guide speak for: three geese in hand (4 guys), 40 shots fired and a suntan)

JK
Old 03-17-2016, 10:19 AM

Smile

Quote:
How'd ya do??!!
We were really green to the geese hunting and we did not get any birds but learned lots and are way better prepared this year with a bit better of gear and lessons learned. We are still new too it but have made a few contacts that have helped with some good advice so hopefully it will be a good spring.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
they "had fun"....(guide speak for: three geese in hand (4 guys), 40 shots fired and a suntan)

JK
lol ya , that about sums it up for a lot of guys.

Do some homework, buy some gear, hunt with a few guys that are dedicated to making it work and you will find success. other than that your just going for a drive and sitting in a field
Old 03-17-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
lol ya , that about sums it up for a lot of guys.

Do some homework, buy some gear, hunt with a few guys that are dedicated to making it work and you will find success. other than that your just going for a drive and sitting in a field
Armed bird watching....
Old 03-17-2016, 11:29 AM

Well a guys gotta try I guess.found a big shoot once an two guys had beat me to it an had er locked up for the am.i asked if they wanted to team up an lay a beatin on em an they "politely" told me to beat it lol this was their hunt.ok good luck as I rolled away.next Mornin I cruised by to watch the show an saw a dozen 747 snow shells an two dudes in white suits in the middle of the feild.birds crossed the fence line flight after flight an cruised on by em 200 yrds away into another quarter.i went an locked er down an made up for the loss of that shoot the next Mornin.what can ya do lol!!!
Old 03-17-2016, 02:36 PM
Banned

Do some homework, buy some gear, hunt with a few guys that are dedicated to making it work and you will find success. other than that your just going for a drive and sitting in a field[/QUOTE]

This^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
Armed bird watching....
That's awesome, going to use that one for sure.

Quote:
Well a guys gotta try I guess.found a big shoot once an two guys had beat me to it an had er locked up for the am.i asked if they wanted to team up an lay a beatin on em an they "politely" told me to beat it lol this was their hunt.ok good luck as I rolled away.next Mornin I cruised by to watch the show an saw a dozen 747 snow shells an two dudes in white suits in the middle of the feild.birds crossed the fence line flight after flight an cruised on by em 200 yrds away into another quarter.i went an locked er down an made up for the loss of that shoot the next Mornin.what can ya do lol!!!
This^^^!!! If more guys that were of the limited gear and experience variety, opened things up to those that were more experienced, they would learn more in one or two hunts than they would in 2 season just by observing and asking questions. I get wanting to keep it to you and a buddy or your dad for some guys, but when these same guys routinely manage to sky bust 3 or 4 "lucky pellet" ducks or geese and think it's a success, I can only imagine how they would feel if they accepted the invite of a couple experienced guys with gear and know how and had 64 bird four man limit laying at their feet when the smoke cleared. And you didn't have to invest in the gear and the advice was free. Get this a few times with guys that are holding a shoot for a brother in law or cousin that is going to hunt it in for or five days or doesn't want a hand. Usually watch the birds feed it out and move on, or watch them scratch out 4 to 6 geese from a hunt that should have been limited in under and hour. To each their own, just saying there is a lot to gain by allowing the experienced guys to tag along on stuff you have permission for. Good luck this year, cheers.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:34 PM

Gave up the bird game years ago. We used to get piles and piles of snows just by using paper plates spiked to the ground, and silo socks.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aWJSdiWJR3g
Old 03-17-2016, 05:07 PM

There was a pile down by Regina a week ago, so their starting to come
Old 03-18-2016, 11:57 PM

took these pics on feb 29th south east of swift current sk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0269.JPG (149.1 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0268.JPG (147.4 KB, 201 views)
Old 03-19-2016, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_wiesel View Post
took these pics on feb 29th south east of swift current sk
Normally the snows follow the snow line north, but this year, there is no snow line. From the reports I have seen, the migration through the American mid west and Dakota's has been fairly early and quick this spring. With the general lack of sheet water, if they push too far north too early, the birds may have a hard time finding open water. For that reason I suspect, the migration may stall in the southern Canadian prairies until we see ice out in the parkland regions.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:16 AM

Just saw some flying over Irricana! Was driving around on Saturday and didn't see any so they must have come in yesterday.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:16 PM

Default Any snows in southern Alberta?

Any snows spotted in southern Alberta? Was going to do some scouting/hunting on Friday and was wondering if there are any sightings that could be used as a starting point. Thanks
Old 03-23-2016, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Any snows spotted in southern Alberta? Was going to do some scouting/hunting on Friday and was wondering if there are any sightings that could be used as a starting point. Thanks
I've read there are low numbers. Just south of the border however, apparently there are thousands....
Old 03-23-2016, 09:05 PM
Banned

Default Snows

Quote:
Originally Posted by slivers86 View Post
I've read there are low numbers. Just south of the border however, apparently there are thousands....
Thousands are low numbers. Hundreds of thousands staging @ Devils Lake, ND might be something to start to get excited about.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBE2 View Post
Thousands are low numbers. Hundreds of thousands staging @ Devils Lake, ND might be something to start to get excited about.
Their still slayin perch an eyes there on hard water..ain't no snow geese be staging on Devils..
Old 03-23-2016, 10:06 PM

Default Snow geese

Didn't get to count each bird but around 5 to 8,000 snows in this area today, with many more booking it north this evening. Might get a shoot this weekend if they hang around.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:50 PM
Banned

they're coming your way..........saw 10's of thousands of 'em today between lethbridge and the border. couple of lake down here just polluted with them.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:54 PM

Saw some swans on Chestermere the last few days. All white birds, long neck.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony5 View Post
Didn't get to count each bird but around 5 to 8,000 snows in this area today, with many more booking it north this evening. Might get a shoot this weekend if they hang around.
Thanks of reports on the birds guys. Was out 2 days of the weekend and we got 40 total. The birds are moving for sure.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:26 PM

Default Snows

Quote:
Thanks of reports on the birds guys. Was out 2 days of the weekend and we got 40 total. The birds are moving for sure.

Good on ya, set up Friday and just before the flock came in it rained and then the sun came out and lit up the decoys like neon signs. Got lucky and picked off one, first spring snow ever. Maybe better luck next time.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:34 AM

saw a couple dozen while driving southbound on stoney tr today...
Old 03-29-2016, 10:50 AM

Saw a flock go over provost yesterday. Prob 3-5000 birds.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 03-30-2016, 07:28 AM

Seen about 500-700 hundred snows in a field on sunday. Got permission monday.... gone tuesday. I am hoping that this is not gonna be this springs trend of birds pushing through quick. I went out for a drive to try and locate them if they moved, but they are gone. Keep on your toes guys just incase it is.
East central Alberta
Old 03-30-2016, 09:37 AM

Any around the Kindersly area yet? Anyone know?

Tags
hunting, land permission, snow goose