Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-30-2015, 11:26 AM

Default Waterfowl west of Calgary?

Hi guys,

I'm new to Alberta and just got set up with my licenses and was hoping to hunt ducks and or geese this coming season. I was planning to hunt on crown land to make things simple. Upon researching however, it seems crown land is few and far between. basically everything is at least leased and I'd still need permission. I haven't been able to find lease holder/land owner contact info anywhere. I live in Canmore right now. Can anyone provide any leads on potential hunting grounds between Calgary and the Rocky Mountains? I've basically ruled out anywhere within the Stoney Indian Reserve as I've tried tirelessly to get ahold of anyone there. I have a pack raft and don't mind bushwhacking for a km or two to get to a pond.

I appreciate any feedback
Old 08-30-2015, 12:33 PM

You're a two hour drive from any kind of good waterfowling.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:06 PM

Ok thanks. Is that because there just aren't many birds that close to the foothills or because its all private land? What about the Jumping Pound area?
Old 08-30-2015, 03:47 PM

Default Ducks

It's too far west to see good numbers of ducks. A few ponds might yield some good shoots but probably not consistently
Old 08-30-2015, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
It's too far west to see good numbers of ducks. A few ponds might yield some good shoots but probably not consistently
Yes, way off the flyway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Flyway

Grizz
Old 08-30-2015, 06:21 PM

On the other hand...
You may find yourself looking at some really cool ducks like harlequins.
In reality the best water fowling is where the most birds are. Refer to the flyway maps and that is where the big predictable flocks will be.
One of the biggest things serious water fowlers are known for is driving their arses off to go where the birds are. Tons of kms on your truck and a pile of hours scouting is the key to success.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:46 PM

Alright sounds like I might have to drive a little farther than I'd hoped. How about north of Cochrane? Does anyone know how one would go about finding land owner/ lease holder contact info?
Old 08-30-2015, 07:13 PM

Default Ducks

Buy a county map and it'll show you the landowners and also the crown land which should include leased land. You can also look for ducks unlimited sites,my out can hunt most of them. And look at "discover alberta" google it and you'll find some public areas that can be hunted.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:44 PM

there are a couple of ponds between Calgary and Canmore, and I've seen waterfowl there, but not the big consistent flocks you're looking for.
north of Cochrane is still no waterfowl land.
I'd suggest you go east of HWY2.

You might also want to check the DUC webstie (http://www.ducks.ca/) and check their map out. It would show you the DUC sites near you... get in your truck and go check'em out.

good luck

Last edited by Deemoss; 08-31-2015 at 12:05 AM.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:43 AM

Ok thanks so much for your help. I'll scout some of the ponds between Canmore and Calgary just to see but likely I'll head further east. The thing is I'd be happy to bring home just a few ducks for dinner.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:42 AM

Check farmer fields around. There are lots of geese around, they just don't stick around for too long and there just aren't the amounts you will find further east.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:48 AM

I almost don't even want to ask this...but can anyone hunt on DUC sites or is there some kinds of permission required?
Old 08-31-2015, 10:16 AM

Some sites are on lease land that you need to request permission. But lots are on public land you don't need permission for. Just do your research on the site you wanna visit before you head out
Old 08-31-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xterratitan View Post
Some sites are on lease land that you need to request permission. But lots are on public land you don't need permission for. Just do your research on the site you wanna visit before you head out
Awesome thanks.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:35 AM

Hope this will help
http://www.ducks.ca/learn-about-wetl...ence-wetlands/
It tells you where the DU sites are and if you need to contact anyone(I would always contact DU before going to avoid any misunderstandings)
Old 08-31-2015, 01:56 PM

Hey Moose Meat,

As previously stated, we are definitely not right in the middle of Duck Ave. here in Calgary. However, if you do your homework (and roadwork), you will have no trouble filling your bag of quackers without having to drive 2+ hours.

Go to the DUC website and start your exploration there.

All the best

Tags
calgary, canmore, ducks, geese, waterfowl