Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-28-2015, 03:38 PM

Default Grouse Hunting help

Hi! I'm having trouble finding good WMU's in Alberta to hunt grouse. Any suggestions on which ones to choose? Preferably WMU's near Calgary. Also, it would help if you attach a map to your reply of which area of the WMU you suggest. Thanks!!
Old 08-28-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangee View Post
Hi! I'm having trouble finding good WMU's in Alberta to hunt grouse. Any suggestions on which ones to choose? Preferably WMU's near Calgary. Also, it would help if you attach a map to your reply of which area of the WMU you suggest. Thanks!!
All the side roads on the forestry truck road have treated me well. I would start there.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:38 PM

Early in the season, with leaves on the trees, you have to go to them. But old logging roads and the like are popular. Be prepared to walk. Stop and look often and listen. And keep your gun ready.

Upland, particularly when you get out of the fields, is a kind of hunting where you need to be aware of what's beyond your target often before your target presents itself. Expect another hunter just around the bend in the road and don't expect him to see you - especially if your wearing camouflage.

I'm guessing you live near Calgary. Depending on our schedules we could talk about teaming up. If you don't have a dog, a partner is the next best thing. PM me if you're interested.

Colin
Old 08-28-2015, 06:48 PM

Gravel roads and trails leading in and out of trees, the tighter the trail the better. They really like ATV trails that are frequently used as well for some reason, so don't let an area discourage you just because you see people out riding around. The ATV's seem to kick up rocks and knock down buds from grass that they like to consume so they come out a lot after they drive by.

The first and last hour are great times, but I hunt and find them all day long during the day when I scout hunting areas. I find in the Boreal Region I see them out more around the beginning of October being their peak. In the mountains I never really noticed a peak yet, just seems to be consistent in seeing them occasionally rather then around every bend of the road.

Try to find areas with denser bush rather than brush patches for Ruffed Grouse. So I would recommend to head west, at least near the Bragg Creek area where it is safe to hunt. Old deactivated logging roads and trails up the mountain sides work great when they start to grow over.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:01 PM

Nice. Thanks for the replies. I'm also in Calgary and very much hoping to get out for upland as often as possible (well, at least a few times )
Old 08-29-2015, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colroggal View Post
Early in the season, with leaves on the trees, you have to go to them. But old logging roads and the like are popular. Be prepared to walk. Stop and look often and listen. And keep your gun ready.

Upland, particularly when you get out of the fields, is a kind of hunting where you need to be aware of what's beyond your target often before your target presents itself. Expect another hunter just around the bend in the road and don't expect him to see you - especially if your wearing camouflage.

I'm guessing you live near Calgary. Depending on our schedules we could talk about teaming up. If you don't have a dog, a partner is the next best thing. PM me if you're interested.

Colin
Yes lets team up email me @mangee40@gmail.com
Old 08-29-2015, 11:18 PM

Remember to use all your senses as you will hear them before you see them sometimes early as the young are very vocal right now

as the above hunters have stated but most I see are just off the roads/trails edge

on road banks and edges watch for dust bowls

here is a last year hunt up here

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=232023

David
Old 08-30-2015, 07:39 AM

Smile Voice of experience

Before the leaves fall, "there are no grouse" after the leaves are down, "they are all over the place"

Road hunting works.

Have fun.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:53 AM

They are all overy neighborhood in edmonton.

Tags
calgary, grouse, hunting