Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-28-2015, 09:10 AM

Question 300 Weatherby Mag Mark V alteration advice.

Good day folks

I have a 300 wby Mag MARK V Sporter i would like some help with. My intention would be to have a decent Mid Range gun 250- 700 Yards approx.
the platform for this rifle looks like it should be able to handle that no problem.
This rifle was given to me by a family member. there is however a few issues.

I am right handed and this is a left handed gun. I have been shooting off hand until now but wondering what would be involved to have in converted if possible (Does this cost more that it is worth?) if it does i will just adapt to shooting off handed.

i was also thinking muzzle brake to reduce felt recoil however the barrel does not have provisions for an aftermarket one so i would need a gunsmith to do this i would think.

Restocking is it worth having the gun re stocked to get the cheak rest on the correct side?
It just seems like to nice of a rifle to leave locked in the cabinet and not get used.

If anyone has any advice or a gunsmith in the calgary/ reddeer area i would not mind having someone take a look at it and give me an approx price to have all or some of these things done.

thanks all!

Old 05-28-2015, 09:32 AM
Banned

you might as well buy a new gun and keep this one in the safe for it's memories.

but to ball park it..
turning it from a left hand to a right hand, a muzzle brake, new custom stock

to convert from a left to a right you need a completely new action. and those aren't cheap you'll likely need to buy a rifle to get one ~ $1000 for a used one.

once you get your action they'll need to adjust the head space $variable

muzzle brakes are cheap less than $200 plus installation $100

and i wouldn't know where to start on the stock bare stock $600 plus installation bedding etc $250 custom modifications $variable and the sky is the limit
Old 05-28-2015, 09:35 AM

Buy a right handed stock from McMillan or from any stock manufacturer of your choice, then have it altered to fit the left-handed action. McMillan will even produce a stock without the bolt handle notch if you like.
To be perfectly honest, I think you might be better served to try and sell the rifle and replace it with one which is made to be fired from the right shoulder.
The muzzle brake is not an issue since it would be necessary to have the barrel machined and the brake installed in any case; unless you bought a rifle so equipped. Leeper
Old 05-28-2015, 10:54 AM

i have a few rifles with cheekpiece on the wrong side including my weatherby. when i shoulder it on the proper side i find the cheekpiece is on my jaw and wants to turn my head so i like it to be out of the way. i have heard the weatherby has some castoff which would be in the wrong direction but i dont t notice it in fact it fits me well except the grip is too small. how does it fit maybe its ok
Old 05-28-2015, 11:34 AM

Sell the LH gun, there is pretty good demand for them and in VG to excellent shape are worth about $1500. You can buy a right hand Weatherby Vanguard with a MOA guarantee in 300 WB mag for $800. It will be stainless with a synthetic stock and will work perfectly for the mid range gun you are looking for.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:37 PM

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks for the advice fellas!

Tags
30 cal, gun, gunsmith, rifle, weatherby