Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-20-2015, 03:37 PM

Default Moving to Lake Louise from Ontario

Hey guys! Im obviously new to this forum but I have a quick question for everyone. Im a student from ontario moving to work at the fairmont lake louise for the summer, who is a huge fisherman. I've gotten into fly-fishing over the past 2 summers and I am absolutely addicted. What my question is, I am looking for places to fish around the area I will be living, and so far after numerous Google searches and asking the other forum I am apart of (Ontario fishing forums), my fishing hopes for this summer don't look to promising. I am NOT looking for specific spots from those who know the area, but just some tips and pointers and a guide in the right direction to where I should be fishing. The only problem is, I will not have access to car when there (unless I meet someone who loves to fish and has a car as well lol) But I am sure there would be other modes of transportation available. I plan on bringing my 5wt as well as a medium action spinning outfit. I appreciate the time everyone and Looking forward to hearing from you.

Cheers
Old 03-20-2015, 04:42 PM

Awesome that sounds great. I hope to make some friends who like to fish as well, as I don't want to be alone out there especially when not knowing the area at all. I appreciate the information! Im excited
Old 03-20-2015, 05:05 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayer View Post
Awesome that sounds great. I hope to make some friends who like to fish as well, as I don't want to be alone out there especially when not knowing the area at all. I appreciate the information! Im excited
You will need to share stories and pictures or no one will believe you

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-20-2015, 05:09 PM

Well when I get there on May 2nd I will shoot a picture over to the site lol
Old 03-20-2015, 05:33 PM

There are trout in Louise itself although the parks people will tell you differently.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:35 PM

Tons of trout in Lake Louise right in front of the hotel
Old 03-21-2015, 04:40 PM

Thats unreal. Ill for sure give it a try. Should I be bringing my 8wt as well? I just figured the 5wt and spinning outfit would be most versatile.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:53 PM

5wt will be good. There's nothing close by that would require an 8wt. There's more fishing around LL then you could do in many summers!
Old 03-21-2015, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
There are trout in Louise itself although the parks people will tell you differently.
X2 tons of brook trout. Not too big but tasty. You need either a canoe, pontoon boat or float tube...thick neoprene waders needed as the water is very, very cold. Fishing from shore is not recommended due to the zillions of tourists who will be flocking to take your photo.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-21-2015, 06:13 PM

What kind of license will I need to get for fishing LL as well as the bow river around LL? Is it a parks license or just an alberta fishing license?
Old 03-21-2015, 06:36 PM

Also, what flies should I be tying before I go? Im a beginner fly tier, but I can tie various streamers (Buggers mostly since I fish for bass a lot), and PT Nymphs. I will also have my spinning outfit, so Im assuming a variety of spinners would work best around the area?
Old 03-22-2015, 12:12 AM

wait it's legal to fish the actual lake itself (never saw it in the regs)?? I think you can rent a canoe for 40 bucks if you go left of the chateau, and 40 for a few hours i think. wooly buggers are very versatile, great starter, was a great starter when i started. And you'll need a parks license for the ll area waters. For the regs i think you can only keep two for all species combined, except the cutties and bulls. bait is illegal there
Best of Luck
Old 03-22-2015, 01:56 AM

Not related, but be sure to hike to the tea house at the lake at least once. Never pass up an opportunity to laugh at so many tourists hiking in flip-flops!
Old 03-22-2015, 08:20 AM

Smile Welcome

You are in for a treat. Some of the best trout streams I'd ever seen are here in Alberta. When I got here from Ont. many years ago, I was the only guy with a fly rod. Not now.

The Eastern side of the Rockies has many blue ribbon trout streams. Lake Louise has trout too, and canoes you can use.

Mind what the boys say abut bears, they are real, here and potentially very dangerous. Try to fish with a friend.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:50 PM

That sounds unreal! I look forward to exploring some new waters. May can't come any faster.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
after numerous Google searches and asking the other forum I am apart of (Ontario fishing forums), my fishing hopes for this summer don't look to promising.
Great. Hope those Ontario fishermen keep thinking there is no good fishing out here. LOL There is plenty of great fly fishing close at hand for you. You can spend all your off hours with a rod in your hand. You will need a parks fishing license. Over the course of the summer you might venture out to fish in Alberta or BC and will need separate licenses for those.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:40 PM

Sounds good!I figured I would need a separate license to fish within the park. Im looking forward to finding my way around. I just hope without a car I will be able to find new water and not be too secluded. I appreciate all the information guys! I was not expecting this much feedback at all. Cheers!
Old 03-23-2015, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinN'flyfish View Post
wait it's legal to fish the actual lake itself (never saw it in the regs)?? I think you can rent a canoe for 40 bucks if you go left of the chateau, and 40 for a few hours i think. wooly buggers are very versatile, great starter, was a great starter when i started. And you'll need a parks license for the ll area waters. For the regs i think you can only keep two for all species combined, except the cutties and bulls. bait is illegal there
Best of Luck
$45/hour to rent a canoe. Very expensive. You need a sit on pontoon boat or an inflatable canoe or a kayak.

Theft is huge in the park so leaving a canoe chained to anything will result in a stolen canoe.

You need something you can lock out of sight.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-23-2015, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Also, what flies should I be tying before I go? Im a beginner fly tier, but I can tie various streamers (Buggers mostly since I fish for bass a lot), and PT Nymphs. I will also have my spinning outfit, so Im assuming a variety of spinners would work best around the area?
If you are tying your own flies, make sure your nymphs and streamers are lead free. Any tackle in the National Park is required to be lead free if it weighs less than 50g. A quick perusal of the Banff National Park website should find you the parks specific fishing regulations. You'll want to be familiar with them, especially fishing around such high traffic areas.

hk
Old 03-24-2015, 12:19 PM

I just read the parks canada website with the regulations. Doesn't look like too much information. For myself, I'm about 98% catch and release, and I know I defiantly won't be keeping anything while I am out there. So the only thing I need to be aware of is where I can fish and when. And by the looks of it, the Bow river on Banff national Park is open all year? April 1-March 31 ?
Old 03-24-2015, 12:25 PM

Yes that is correct..Drop me a line and I will send you some stillwater spots if your interested.

Tags
banff, fly fishing, lake louise, trout