Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-25-2015, 01:40 PM

Default Pros & Cons - 3.5" 12 ga. options

I'm looking to buy a 3.5" 12 ga. pump. This will be my first shotgun so I'm not very familiar with them. I've only shot a Moss 500 before. I'm looking for an all-around shotgun assuming that this will be my only one. Slugs are not important. I want this gun for bird and waterfowl of all kinds, clays/target and SHTF reliability and longevity.

I've got it narrowed down to:
Moss 535 ATS
Rem 870 in 3.5
Benelli Nova

I'm not looking for brand preference comments but actual specifics that might help me make a decision. Also, please don't suggest any guns over $500. I'm sure they might be better, but I won't consider it. And yes, I will go and shoulder them all before buying.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Happy shooting!
Old 02-25-2015, 01:43 PM

The Benelli would be my choice.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
The Benelli would be my choice.
I second the benelli. I prefer 870's because of the fit, but the 870 super mag is not the same internally as an 870 3". There have been some issues with them in the past.

I have no experience with the 535

Colin
Old 02-25-2015, 03:04 PM

Just a question, not a suggestion, but what about the remington 887?
Old 02-25-2015, 03:26 PM

I'm a bit curious; is 3.5in. chambering an absolute must have, or a "want to have"?
Old 02-25-2015, 03:48 PM

I have to ask, and don't take this as derailing because that's not the intent....but why on earth buy a 3.5??????? Or are you looking more for the ability to one off use a 3.5 shell while consistently using 3"?
Old 02-25-2015, 03:54 PM

Thanks for the feedback thus far.

The 3.5" is mostly a "want to have" more than a must. And as you said, I would probably be wanting the ability to use the odd 3.5" shells but would mostly be using 3". Is this a silly plan?

Thanks.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:57 PM

Skip 3.5" in a pump gun. 3" will do everything required and more. JMO.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:04 PM

being that you cant get a remington wingmaster for under $500 and I woudnt invest $ in a express and mossberg doesnt compute, Benelli Nova is the way to go, just make dang sure it fits! cant stress that enough.

most pumps come with 3.5" so doesnt cost anymore to get it. if you had the option, i would still take one that has the ability for 3.5". I have never shot a 3.5" shell , like EVER but my gun will shoot when and if plus resale
Old 02-25-2015, 04:05 PM

OK - I'd still like some a few more opinions on the 3.5" vs 3" comment, but you're making me question things

The Benelli is on sale so it's still an option.

If we're talking 3" it's Moss 500 vs Rem 870.

Thanks.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:05 PM

The 3-1/2 benelli nova is on sale for $489.99 at cabelas.ca right now.

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/289/be...ction-shotguns
Old 02-25-2015, 04:10 PM

Do you need it? No.

Do I shoot 3.5? Sometimes. I found a load that patterned well so I use it sometimes.

Like was mentioned before, with a pump it almost comes as standard now a days. If you choose to sell later, then there is another option for you to throw in the ad.

The most important thing to remember is that the gun must fit and be comfortable to you.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:29 PM

Went to replace a 10 gauge I lost in a fire and ended up going for a 3.5" gun in 12 gauge. I felt it was a better all around shotgun for me specifically. I can load light 2 3/4" rounds for upland and then slide in the 3.5" if a goose happens to be wandering overhead. My BPS is lighter than my old 10 gauge so it kinda kicks like a mule with 3.5" however. Not to say that you couldn't do that with a 3", but I always hunted geese with a 10 gauge.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:39 PM

Hi I have a mosberg 500, remington 870 Express Super Mag, and a Bennelli Super Nova. I would go for a 3.5inch if your shooting late season geese and use 3.5inch Rem Supersonic etc. I have wasted alot of time and mony on cheap kent loads etc. Back to the guns the mossbergs and the remington I have had no problems with at all, the remington has had lots of use and it was secondhand when I bought it, the paint is just starting to wearout in places (camo model) but again it has had alot of hard use, great gun. The bennelli I bought brand new and have had problems with it, 2 3/4 and 3in work fine but when I have used 3.5in BBs it has jambed up, both times when hunting (the gun nearly got chucked in the lake the first time this happened I could not free the round from the chamber and I diden't have another gun with me) I wasen't happy. The next time hunting it happened again it was ok shooting ducks with 3in but as soon as I put in 3.5inch in it for geese it jambed again, but this time I had my remington with me. Its been back to bennelli and I haven't tried it since (going to sell it), also the bennelli is very heavy compared to the remington.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:06 PM

A decent shooter certainly doesn't require 3-1/2" loads to shoot geese, but if it makes you feel more comfortable to use them, and the recoil doesn't effect you, then it won't hurt anything. On the other hand, some people start flinching after a few shots with 3-1/2" loads, due to the recoil, and they hit even less with the 3-1/2" loads, than they would with 3" or even 2-3/4" loads. Personally, I use 3" Kent Fasteel for my goose hunting, and 2-3/4" Kent Fasteel for ducks, and both do an excellent job..
Old 02-25-2015, 10:38 PM

Default patterning effects of 3.5" c/w std. ammo

I read somewhere that a 3.5" chamber presents a heck of a jump for the wad and shot column of shorter shells to make before the wad bottom seals off the propellant gases.

With 2.75" ammo -the most commonly used field and target ammo- this apparently means less than optimal patterning.

I haven't tested this for myself. Perhaps someone here can comment on it.
Too bad the Cat isn't here....
Old 02-25-2015, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post
I read somewhere that a 3.5" chamber presents a heck of a jump for the wad and shot column of shorter shells to make before the wad bottom seals off the propellant gases.

With 2.75" ammo -the most commonly used field and target ammo- this apparently means less than optimal patterning.

I haven't tested this for myself. Perhaps someone here can comment on it.
Too bad the Cat isn't here....
Patterning has more to do with the end of the barrel, than the chamber. Never really noticed the difference out of my a400 other than recoil and shot patern. Chokes seem to make up for pattern. 3.5 mag loads do boot ya a whole lot more.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:21 AM

I sold an 870 Supermag last year as I didn't need it anymore. It was a perfectly good gun, only had extraction issue with old cheapie Cdn Tire 2-3/4 rounds, 3-1/2" worked fine in it. If you do want to shoot predominately 3-1/2, an autoloader is preferable. I had a Mossberg 500, it was OK with everything but Fed blue box, they would not extract, but, I've seen a couple of SBE's and a Beretta that had the same issue with the same round.
Seems some Supermags suffer from rough chambers, need to be smoothed a bit, and the extraction issues will go away. If I was looking at the Mossberg, I'd look at the 835, not the 535, 835 is the closest build to the 870 Supermag
Nova is a good gun, haven't spent a lot of time shooting one, but they worked well for what I have done with them. I'd probably try it over the others if I were ever to buy another pump again.
And---don't waste your time or money on an 887, it is not one of Remington's better products.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:19 AM

I would seriously look at semi autos if you are set on 3.5". Unless you love recoil.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurf5522 View Post
Hi I have a mosberg 500, remington 870 Express Super Mag, and a Bennelli Super Nova. I would go for a 3.5inch if your shooting late season geese and use 3.5inch Rem Supersonic etc. I have wasted alot of time and mony on cheap kent loads etc. Back to the guns the mossbergs and the remington I have had no problems with at all, the remington has had lots of use and it was secondhand when I bought it, the paint is just starting to wearout in places (camo model) but again it has had alot of hard use, great gun. The bennelli I bought brand new and have had problems with it, 2 3/4 and 3in work fine but when I have used 3.5in BBs it has jambed up, both times when hunting (the gun nearly got chucked in the lake the first time this happened I could not free the round from the chamber and I diden't have another gun with me) I wasen't happy. The next time hunting it happened again it was ok shooting ducks with 3in but as soon as I put in 3.5inch in it for geese it jambed again, but this time I had my remington with me. Its been back to bennelli and I haven't tried it since (going to sell it), also the bennelli is very heavy compared to the remington.
Then why did you put a 3.5 in it ever again after jamming???

Guys theres absolutely no need to ever put a 3.5 inch shell through a 12 gauge. 2 3/4 will kill all the geese you ever want let alone a 3".
Old 02-26-2015, 05:44 AM

Well... The benelli nova and aupee nova are the most reliable pump guns on the market. I own 2 super Novas and LOVE them. From slugs to clays they work. They even reliably shoot those super shot aguila shells if you ever find them
Old 02-26-2015, 06:18 AM

Default Browning BPS

I just bought a 3.5" BPS off CGN a few weeks back. I really like the bottom ejection, it throws em out. Everything else closely resembles an 870.
Why 3 1/2"?
1) never had one
2) I have it in case I need it

It's kinda like having 4 wheel drive, it's there if you need it.
As for the Nova, it's a nice pump! Lots of great reviews on it.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post
I just bought a 3.5" BPS off CGN a few weeks back. I really like the bottom ejection, it throws em out. Everything else closely resembles an 870.
Why 3 1/2"?
1) never had one
2) I have it in case I need it

It's kinda like having 4 wheel drive, it's there if you need it.
As for the Nova, it's a nice pump! Lots of great reviews on it.
That's my point. You will never need a 3.5 inch shell. For bird hunting anyways.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildside2014 View Post
That's my point. You will never need a 3.5 inch shell. For bird hunting anyways.
A 3.5" shell isn't needed but it does get you some added range with steel so it does have an advantage......Spooky late season birds,wind change, glare or anything else that birds won't commit to a spread but will pass over and circle at 60 yards its does come in handy.
I have had some bad shoots where if it wasn't for the 3.5" shells we wouldn't have drop any birds. Not a must but I like the option.

That said to the OP have you ever shot a 3.5" shell out of a pump? They sure pack a punch. I wouldn't want to shoot a 3.5" out of anything but a semi.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:45 AM

I have a Super Nova and no complaints.

I had a question for the other guys. My Super Nova came with a bunch of shims and different plates to adjust the shape of the stock. Do the other shotguns come with something similar? I started shooting much better once I adjusted the stock down and to the right a bit.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
A 3.5" shell isn't needed but it does get you some added range with steel so it does have an advantage......Spooky late season birds,wind change, glare or anything else that birds won't commit to a spread but will pass over and circle at 60 yards its does come in handy.
I have had some bad shoots where if it wasn't for the 3.5" shells we wouldn't have drop any birds. Not a must but I like the option.

That said to the OP have you ever shot a 3.5" shell out of a pump? They sure pack a punch. I wouldn't want to shoot a 3.5" out of anything but a semi.
Youre not hunting birds at 60 Mike. Youre skybusting. You would be in the vehicle as soon as you busted to 60 yards if you were in my pit man.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:

Guys theres absolutely no need to ever put a 3.5 inch shell through a 12 gauge. 2 3/4 will kill all the geese you ever want let alone a 3".

Nothing wrong with wanting or using a 3 1/2", but it's sure going to kick in a pump action (doesn't have the recoil absorbing capacity of a semi-auto). The newest semi-auto duck gun I bought is in 3 1/2" but frankly I never put more than a 3" in it for ducks or geese. I mean, it's nice to have the flexibility to handle any load, but I wouldn't eliminate a gun from your consideration because it didn't come in 3 1/2".
Old 02-26-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Nothing wrong with wanting or using a 3 1/2", but it's sure going to kick in a pump action (doesn't have the recoil absorbing capacity of a semi-auto). The newest semi-auto duck gun I bought is in 3 1/2" but frankly I never put more than a 3" in it for ducks or geese. I mean, it's nice to have the flexibility to handle any load, but I wouldn't eliminate a gun from your consideration because it didn't come in 3 1/2".
Ya I can see for re-sale. Its funny though how thanks to places like cabelas guys are now under the impression that you need at least 3" to hunt geese. Christ, I still shoot 2 3/4 and sling #2's at my geese all season long
Old 02-26-2015, 09:03 AM

Sorry Mike just re-read my post I quoted you on and realized I kinda came off as a Dbag. My bad, wasn't meant to be a dbag post
Old 02-26-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Ya I can see for re-sale. Its funny though how thanks to places like cabelas guys are now under the impression that you need at least 3" to hunt geese. Christ, I still shoot 2 3/4 and sling #2's at my geese all season long
It's a case of marketing the 3-1/2" guns and shells to convince people that they need them to hunt geese.With good marketing, you can sell people pretty much anything whether they need it or not. If anyone hunting with us starts shooting at 60 or 70 yards, it will be their last hunt with us. We still get birds without shooting that far, and we cripple far fewer birds by not taking those shots.

Tags
benelli nova, mossberg 535, remmington 870, shotgun, shtf