Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 02:58 PM

Smile

Old 11-03-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornedeerhunter View Post
No, not for one second. The employee ought reasonably to have known that denying the cadets the ability to distribute Poppy's was no doubt going to cause an uproar amongst the public, especially in light of recent events.

If he was unsure, he had the ability to call his boss and get clarification from Cabela's. Either he has a D-Bag or just too thick to realize that this was a bad call.

This wasn't a team raising money to go on a hockey trip, or a school group wanting money to go to Paris, or Disneyland etc. This was the annual RCL's Poppy Campaign and as it's been ongoing since 1921, the store screwed up and the corporate office was forced into damage control.
Blame the individual then not the brand/company.

LC
Old 11-03-2014, 03:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Glad they listened to me. apology and donation. LOL
Oko gets results.

Well done.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Everyone is so reactionary without hearing the two sides....this is a perfect example

Surely you can can see that...

LC
This^^^^^^ and some people say they will never set foot in there or buy anything from them anymore. And yet...the next sale they have, they will probably be the first one in the store. I wish there was a face plant smiley.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:25 PM
Banned

Quote:

LC
No, the individual IS the company. He was their agent, wearing their uniform and representing them.

Maybe companies these days need to issue a business wide corporate memo to each store every October reminding them that Nov 11 is around the corner and to be aware that the Poppy campaign will be in full swing and it is being supported. Can't believe that it has come to that but this is living proof.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornedeerhunter View Post
No, the individual IS the company. He was their agent, wearing their uniform and representing them.

Maybe companies these days need to issue a business wide corporate memo to each store every October reminding them that Nov 11 is around the corner and to be aware that the Poppy campaign will be in full swing and it is being supported. Can't believe that it has come to that but this is living proof.
Punish them all for the mistake of one

LC
Old 11-03-2014, 03:28 PM
Banned

Kudos to the "reactionary" people for getting Cabelas to do the right thing and for scoring 10 grand for the Legion Poppy fund. Well done!!!
Old 11-03-2014, 03:32 PM

A facebook apology and 10k?
Im sure im not the only one who expected a lot more damage control then that.
Whats that like five cents per customer that this potentialy cost them.
Granted the days not over yet and cadets always need more range supplies

Last edited by BANG; 11-03-2014 at 03:42 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:33 PM

What did that store do last year for poppy distribution?
Old 11-03-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:

LC
Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. If I screw up on one of my construction projects, my company is at fault first, and has to deal with the reparations, I would get fired or reprimanded as the case may be. Cabelas(or an employee of Cabelas) screwed up, or made a judgment call that was bound to create waves of discontent. Cabelas has now made a public apology and offered a donation in good faith, that's good enough for me. But I agree that the outrage on social media (of which I was a willing participant) very likely had an impact on the matter getting settled, and a tidy sum donated to the poppy fund.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANG View Post
A facebook apology and 10k?
Im sure im not the only one who expected a lot more damage control then that.
Whats that like five cents per customer that this potentialy cost them.
Granted the days not over yet and cadets always need more range supplies
I think the apology and donation is fair

Unfortunate decision by one individual that has caused fallout for the company to deal with. They have had a solid track record up to this point. I would like to hear the Legions thoughts on this.

They will continue to get my business.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:53 PM

Default The Sun

I think Cabela's should pull anything they have to do with The Sun and any related companies. At least until The Sun kicks $ 10000 over to the legion.

Classy of Cabela's to "fix" this.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebrand View Post
I think Cabela's should pull anything they have to do with The Sun and any related companies. At least until The Sun kicks $ 10000 over to the legion.

Classy of Cabela's to "fix" this.
LOL Punish the Sun for publishing the actual facts of the case? Oh boy, good thing you aren't running Cabela's PR department. That move would be good for about 1000 more negative press clippings for the company across the country. No sane company tries to make an enemy of the press.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:21 PM

ok let's keep hashing this out over and over and over and over and get every bit we can out of it..move on
Old 11-03-2014, 04:24 PM

L

Last edited by crf250xtom; 11-03-2014 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crf250xtom View Post
I don't like this picture a lot of those soldiers there were forced to join not out of choice. If everyone was so gun ho to fight for us they wouldn't have needed conscription sending thousands of young boys to wars that were unnecessary to participate in. 1 person making decisions for millions what a joke.
Totally Unbelievable
Old 11-03-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
I don't like this picture a lot of those soldiers there were forced to join not out of choice. If everyone was so gun ho to fight for us they wouldn't have needed conscription sending thousands of young boys to wars that were unnecessary to participate in. 1 person making decisions for millions what a joke.
A little history, http://www.warmuseum.ca/cwm/exhibiti...iption_e.shtml
Old 11-03-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashi View Post
Totally Unbelievable
Not saying they don't deserve respect I'm just saying instead of putting random people on top of them put the leaders that gave nothing and gained everything.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Oh goody!

Lets begin. Of the nearly 1 Million Canadians who served in uniform in the Great War only 125,000 were conscripted and that was not implemented until late 1917. Of that 125,000 only about 24,000 were sent to Europe and only a fraction of those saw a shot fired in anger as the war was virtually over by the time they got there.

During WW2, there was another conscription crisis in 1944, again mainly in Quebec, only about 2500 were conscripted, half of those made it to Europe and only 79 were killed.

So during both World Wars, Canada had about 1.7 million people serve, only 127,500 of those were conscripted and maybe 100 were killed

When you consider that we had 66,000 war dead in the Great War and 46,000 war dead during WW2- it's a drop in the bucket. You implied that we pressed them into service by the tens of thousands and sent them all to their slaughter!
Old 11-03-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwillow View Post
ok let's keep hashing this out over and over and over and over and get every bit we can out of it..move on
Proper reaction/backlash (generally)
Proper response by Cabelas
Case closed.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Proper reaction/backlash (generally)
Proper response by Cabelas
Case closed.
Yup, koodles to cabelas for stepping up and taking blame for something that was not their fault, in the rash of a little bad media, the community learned allot about what this particular organization who is still relatively new to Canada does for all sorts of Canadians, other companies could learn a thing or two from them.

Sun media should step up on its own for a poor case of journalism and donate to the legion as well. I didn't buy a copy of today's sun.... Just like every other day.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe View Post
Sun media should step up on its own for a poor case of journalism .
Exactly how was it a poor case of journalism? Did it not happen and they lied? It was precisely the good journalism that forced Cabelas to fix things.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:25 PM

I got this from another friends post on the issue: "I spoke to the Edmonton Cabelas store manager this morning. This is one more example of the media spinning something out of control. Both the Legion and Cabellas are on the same page with this. The cadets were not turned away as it was reported..the store WAS and IS selling poppies for them. There was no confrontation or problem.. just no point in a duplication of efforts so they were relocated. As we all know, media loves a story and sometimes we quickly believe without getting all the facts. The Sun (notorious for over-dramatized stories) will not even accept calls from either Cabelas or the Legion this morning."
Old 11-03-2014, 05:26 PM

Default Cabelas makes good for mistake.

Cabelas head office said, that it was a mistake at that one store and to apologize they are giving a $10,000 donation to the legion and said cadets are always welcome at any if there stores giving poppies for donations.
They are also having a home town hero's event again next week.
I think there us a manager getting quite a reprimand from.head office over this one.
So I say thanks cabelas for making it right.
I shall return to buying from you
Old 11-03-2014, 05:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Exactly how was it a poor case of journalism? Did it not happen and they lied? It was precisely the good journalism that forced Cabelas to fix things.
Point is that it didn't happen the way the Sun reported it, confirmed by both Cabela's and the Legion. So yes, I would like to think that the Sun would like to pony up a few dollars in this case. But they will use the excuse "We reported what was fact at the time", rather than saying they researched and tried to get a hold of both parties.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxz1997 View Post
I got this from another friends post on the issue: "I spoke to the Edmonton Cabelas store manager this morning. This is one more example of the media spinning something out of control. Both the Legion and Cabellas are on the same page with this. The cadets were not turned away as it was reported..the store WAS and IS selling poppies for them. There was no confrontation or problem.. just no point in a duplication of efforts so they were relocated. As we all know, media loves a story and sometimes we quickly believe without getting all the facts. The Sun (notorious for over-dramatized stories) will not even accept calls from either Cabelas or the Legion this morning."
Nothing to do with sun news.
Toronto Star did it's own report, and it was reported correctly by sun news.
Cabelas has apologized,
It had nothing to do with left or right news reporting.
Typical lefty accusing Sun of sensational reporting.
Anyway it's all made better.
Just cost them $10,000
=-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SUN NEWS FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-03-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Agreed!!
Old 11-03-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxz1997 View Post
Ahhh, the old I have a friend who heard.... Anyone got a pot confirming this? I think it highly unlikely given that the PRESIDENT OF THE COMPANY PUBLICLY ADMITTED IT HAPPENED AND APOLOGIZED.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
Point is that it didn't happen the way the Sun reported it, confirmed by both Cabela's and the Legion..
Please post link to confirmations.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:23 PM

I'm satisfied with the response from Cabellas.

Have not been to the store yet, but if I get to Edmonton with some time to spare, I don't see a reason not to go there.

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Closed Thread

Tags
cabelas