Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-10-2014, 01:39 PM

I think thats a smaller black bear than many think. Other than the colour most folks would be pretty disappointed walking up to that bear if they were expecting it to be a big one. I doubt it would even make 5 feet.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:04 PM

Black
Old 07-10-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddave View Post
lol.... It's not, not a black bear.

please don't go bear hunting
For the record, I have been hunting black bears on my own for over 10 years and after 3 bow kills, and letting countless bears come and go from the bait, I consider myself confident in judging size, sex and species.

Now since this thread has been partially derailed (surprise surprise..) into a 'who is entitled to bear hunt' club, let me ask which is a worse scenario to have in the field: someone who respects their capacity for error, and err's on the side of caution, or someone who is too proud to listen to that little voice of reason and as a result, ends up in a bad situation? I'm not to proud to admit uncertainty, and its a virtue that I believe I have acquired through hunting, among other things.

So maybe before we attack each others wildlife ID skills, we should acknowledge the values of self discipline and humility that are grossly absent in this sport today.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510-Gem View Post
For the record, I have been hunting black bears on my own for over 10 years and after 3 bow kills, and letting countless bears come and go from the bait, I consider myself confident in judging size, sex and species.

Now since this thread has been partially derailed (surprise surprise..) into a 'who is entitled to bear hunt' club, let me ask which is a worse scenario to have in the field: someone who respects their capacity for error, and err's on the side of caution, or someone who is too proud to listen to that little voice of reason and as a result, ends up in a bad situation? I'm not to proud to admit uncertainty, and its a virtue that I believe I have acquired through hunting, among other things.

So maybe before we attack each others wildlife ID skills, we should acknowledge the values of self discipline and humility that are grossly absent in this sport today.
If I wasn't sure I would say so, and I agree with you. If you don't know that's a black bear, the best call is to err on the safe side and don't shoot. The guys that are positive that's a grizzly should not be bear hunting untill they have some more experience, or go with someone that does.
That is my point of view nothing else. It is our job as hunters to be able to identify our prey before the shot, not after, so you had better know what you are looking at before you pull the trigger.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddave View Post
If I wasn't sure I would say so, and I agree with you. If you don't know that's a black bear, the best call is to err on the safe side and don't shoot. The guys that are positive that's a grizzly should not be bear hunting untill they have some more experience, or go with someone that does.
That is my point of view nothing else. It is our job as hunters to be able to identify our prey before the shot, not after, so you had better know what you are looking at before you pull the trigger.
Thank you. Agreed. I sure get disappointed when I hear of yearling cow moose getting mistaken for calves, or yearling rams being mistaken for ewes. Hell, I even heard of a whitetail guide who put his US hunter on a camp dog thinking it was a wolf!
Old 07-10-2014, 04:24 PM

Black bear for sure. For those unsure it's a simple 'don't shoot'. There is nothing wrong with that and guys shouldn't get their panties in a knot over it either. To mock someone who is uncertain, likely because they haven't seen enough bears, because they won't shoot a color phase bear is ridiculous. Good for them to show restraint and not shoot first and check later!!
Old 07-10-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don K View Post
Black bear for sure. For those unsure it's a simple 'don't shoot'. There is nothing wrong with that and guys shouldn't get their panties in a knot over it either. To mock someone who is uncertain, likely because they haven't seen enough bears, because they won't shoot a color phase bear is ridiculous. Good for them to show restraint and not shoot first and check later!!
Yupper!!!!! X2
Old 07-10-2014, 10:19 PM

Not sure I'm adding anything to the conversion, but here it goes anyway...
I'd shoot that and tag it with my first black bear tag used. I'd then call my brother and tell him about the colour phase.

Happened across this page on Berger since first seeing this thread. I'd say the bear "dished" or "shoveled" face some have claimed may look similar to the blackie in the link
http://www.bergerbullets.com/len-backus-black-bear/

They both look pretty straight to me, but some were questioning it. I really believe a grizzly face and hump are much more prominent than this colour phase blackie that started the whole argument
Old 07-10-2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don K View Post
This wasn't a "would you shoot it?" Question. It was is it a black bear or a grizz question. I would never give a guy a hard time about not shooting if he wasn't 100percent sure on his id. I will give I guy a little ribbing for getting the question wrong. Hence the lol' sand smiley faces..... Jeepers!!
Old 07-11-2014, 09:34 PM

Default Black bear

100% black bear
Small head short snout, small rounded ears
Hump to far forward.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graymatter View Post
100% black bear
Small head short snout, small rounded ears
Hump to far forward.
Too far forward? This is a grizzly bear: