Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-24-2013, 10:02 AM

Default Winter coyote hunting

What type of calling should I be doing? Any general tips any coyote hunter should know? Tricks/tactics whatever you got!
Old 12-24-2013, 12:41 PM

Best tip I can give is get to where no one else has called . Dogs getting trained big time now with all the instant fox pro experts . Just like big game , pay attention to wind and scent control . You tube is a great place for sounds and calls to use . Don't over call an area , I mean give it a rest between visits [ maybe once every couple weeks ]. If you find a good spot keep it to your self , as next time you go , your good buddy will have already have been back there without you . Have fun and stay safe .
Old 12-24-2013, 01:23 PM

Get yourself some good hand calls. With a bit of practice they are much more versatile and every bit, or more, effective as any e-caller ever made. Change-ups are instant -no fumbling for a button to push, no canned sequences and no batteries to worry about. A remote decoy is a great addition as well. Good home cookin' is always a more enjoyable and satisfying experience.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:13 PM

where would they be bunkering down in this heavy snow? the woods, near cattle?
Old 12-27-2013, 08:23 PM

Check bale stacks or fields with bales in them still. They use the bales as a wind block and they climb on top of them so they can see further when looking for prey
Old 12-27-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motox208 View Post
Check bale stacks or fields with bales in them still. They use the bales as a wind block and they climb on top of them so they can see further when looking for prey
interesting. that would be something to see
Old 12-28-2013, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submoa_hunter View Post
where would they be bunkering down in this heavy snow? the woods, near cattle?
In the bush.... coyotes will travel wind swept ridges, evergreen treed areas and creek bottoms. They like to sit and nest where they can sun during winter. South facing slopes and ridges for bunkering down. They will travel to farmland as mentioned in earlier posts, bales, cattle holding areas and graineries.

Have seen red fox sitting on bales too.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
interesting. that would be something to see
Quite common actually. I've shot a couple who got on top of a bale to get a better look at what was doing the calling. With all this snow, they'll be following established tracks, easy to find.

Grizz
Old 12-28-2013, 10:20 AM

Default Gulley

Well I think I have the perfect hunting location In mind. Not to far there is a little gulley with a creek on the bottom, ridge with trees on one side. Willow bushes and open feild on the other. And the entire thing leads to a cattle farm in the next feild. And come to think of it it I've seen dens along the creek side there .
Old 12-28-2013, 11:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Well I think I have the perfect hunting location In mind. Not to far there is a little gulley with a creek on the bottom, ridge with trees on one side. Willow bushes and open feild on the other. And the entire thing leads to a cattle farm in the next feild. And come to think of it it I've seen dens along the creek side there .
Sounds like a really good location.
Think of it this way,yotes are pretty much EVERYWHERE,prairie,parkland,foothills,bigwoods,mou ntains.Heavily forested habitat is much harder to read,as they can be almost anywhere at any given time?
Prairie and parkland/ag fields/pasture broken up by smaller tracts of cover,windrows etc. are much more predictable,esp. this time of year.And by more predictable,I mean,you know there are coyotes around,and you can see that obviously there are none out mousing in this big snow covered 1/4 section field,because you can see the entire 1/4....so ask yourself "where is the cover?".Woodlots,creek bottoms,wind rows,coulees,marshlands...that's where they'll be.I guess my point is it's alot easier to predict where they are when you can see where they obviously aren't,and the available cover accounts for a relatively small percentage of the habitat.I hunted bigwoods eastern yotes for many years,and lemme tell ya,it is extremely challenging and tuff sledn....prairie/parkland yotes are child's play by comparison,or at least far more predictable.

Tags
coyote, coyote hunting, predator hunting, tips