Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-02-2013, 09:58 AM

Default Migratory birds

Can someone please clarify the rules surrounding migratory bird hunting over water in Alberta? I was always under the impression that it was not allowed, and hence have never done it. Someone recently told me that in some cases it is allowed depending on what type of body of water it is. I just want some clarification. Thank you
Old 08-02-2013, 10:26 AM

Default waterfowl

Been hunting over open water all my life, and never thought any different! Either that, or they are blatantly selling illegal floating duck decoys in every walmart and Crappy tire in the country!
Old 08-02-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacan View Post
Can someone please clarify the rules surrounding migratory bird hunting over water in Alberta? I was always under the impression that it was not allowed, and hence have never done it. Someone recently told me that in some cases it is allowed depending on what type of body of water it is. I just want some clarification. Thank you
All good bud maybe you were mis-impressioning with not being able to use the lead shot???

As far as I know the only "rule" is you must have a way to retrieve downed birds dog, canoe, extended pole, fishing rod, or swimming wings lol
Old 08-02-2013, 10:46 AM

Thanks
Old 08-02-2013, 10:55 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
All good bud maybe you were mis-impressioning with not being able to use the lead shot???

As far as I know the only "rule" is you must have a way to retrieve downed birds dog, canoe, extended pole, fishing rod, or swimming wings lol
Where is that rule?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 08-02-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Where is that rule?
If you cant retrieve the game sounds to me like waste and abandonment
Old 08-02-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:

Just keep in mind you arn't able to use lead shot for any migratory bird hunting, not just over water.

Quote:
Where is that rule?
from the regs page 19...

GAME BIRD

It is unlawful to

3.hunt a migratory game bird using
病 firearm loaded with a single bullet
不hot, other than non-toxic shot,
病 cross-bow
病 shotgun that is of a larger size than 10 guage.

and...

11.fail to make every effort possible to immediately retrieve a migratory game bird that a person has killed or wounded. A hunter must have adequate means to retrieve any migratory bird that he or she may kill, cripple or injure.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerbren View Post
Just keep in mind you arn't able to use lead shot for any migratory bird hunting, not just over water.

from the regs page 19...

GAME BIRD

It is unlawful to

3.hunt a migratory game bird using
病 firearm loaded with a single bullet
不hot, other than non-toxic shot,
病 cross-bow
病 shotgun that is of a larger size than 10 guage.

and...

11.fail to make every effort possible to immediately retrieve a migratory game bird that a person has killed or wounded. A hunter must have adequate means to retrieve any migratory bird that he or she may kill, cripple or injure.
Thanks KB I knew I had read it somewhere I just wasnt able to quote it
Old 08-02-2013, 02:56 PM

There are a couple of layers to this.

There are bodies of water you cannot hunt sometimes for the whole season sometimes for just part the Bow River comes to mind but check the regs.

Every fall there is a flame war about hunting water at all. There are folks who are quite adamant that you should never hunt the big roosting areas, even if it is legal.

Then there is the small water which is generally if they are there shoot'em
Old 08-02-2013, 03:02 PM
Gone Hunting

Thanks KB and Winger. I agree it isn't smart to hunt birds without a way to retrieve them, I just couldn't remember seeing it in the regs.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:03 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacan View Post
There is list of lakes and water bodies in Alberta classified as Sanctuaries and you can't hunt over and within certain distance from them.

There are Restricted Rivers, Restricted Lakes and Temporary Sanctuaries as well.

So if you live close to those bodies of water your impression is partially correct.

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 08-02-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post

There are bodies of water you cannot hunt sometimes for the whole season sometimes for just part the Bow River comes to mind but check the regs.

Every fall there is a flame war about hunting water at all. There are folks who are quite adamant that you should never hunt the big roosting areas, even if it is legal.

I guess a guy shouldnt ge so general thanks for clearing that up
Old 08-02-2013, 08:26 PM

Hard to shoot canvasbacks and redheads if you aren't on water.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 08-03-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
Hard to shoot canvasbacks and redheads if you aren't on water.
Haven't you ever set up a coot decoy spread in the peas? They come falling out of the sky like black hail!!! (If you do your scouting).

We set up in a field that the snipe were focused on, must have been a hemp field, anyway we limited out 5 minutes into legal light.

Old 08-03-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post

It is legal to have consensual sex with the 17 year old babysitter,,, but local sensibilities (the wife) might frown on it.

An extreme example, but....

Generally in the eastern part of the province, (let's just say east of HWY 2 and south of the North Sask - an area often short on water) many local residents (both landowners and hunters) frown on shooting geese over the roosts which typically are the larger bodies of water. Particularly in dry years shooting over goose roosts can certainly be a flashpoint. However shooting ducks over water raises few eyebrows if numbers of roosting geese are not present. Just something to be aware of if you are concerned about local sensibilities at all.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Where is that rule?
It's not a rule... and yes I did read below.

You cannot be issued a ticket for hunting over water without a dog, fishing pole, canoe etc. Doesn't matter how you get the bird but you have to make an attempt.

Maybe you just sit and wait for shots at birds that will land behind you over land, maybe you choose to go swim, maybe there is an onshore wind and birds will drift too you.

Again, it's not a rule to have a 'way' to retrieve... only that you make a valid attempt at doing so.

Just saying.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:30 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuk View Post

You cannot be issued a ticket for hunting over water without a dog, fishing pole, canoe etc. Doesn't matter how you get the bird but you have to make an attempt.

Maybe you just sit and wait for shots at birds that will land behind you over land, maybe you choose to go swim, maybe there is an onshore wind and birds will drift too you.

Again, it's not a rule to have a 'way' to retrieve... only that you make a valid attempt at doing so.

Just saying.

Put the crayons away Canuk, I got it.

BTW I wouldn't think of hunting birds over water without my dog. Same as I wouldn't go grocery shopping with out my pants on.Or deer hunting with an accordion. It just makes sense.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:

Just saying.
Im sure hoping they blow to shore is against the law of immediately retrieving the birds he/she has killed/wounded. Not very often you see a wounded duck swim towards shore too

Just saying
Old 08-05-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Im sure hoping they blow to shore is against the law of immediately retrieving the birds he/she has killed/wounded. Not very often you see a wounded duck swim towards shore too

Just saying
Swims towards the shore every time just not the shore I'm standing on
Old 08-05-2013, 12:58 PM
Banned

What about hunting on water from an Argo that is being used as a "boat" and has a blind on it, so it cant be used as an ATV. Would that be still considered firing from a vehicle? To my understanding you can hunt waterfowl from a boat. Clarification would be appreciated.

Last edited by bird_dog; 08-05-2013 at 01:07 PM. Reason: fat fingers
Old 08-05-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird_dog View Post
What about hunting on water from an Argo that is being used as a "boat" and has a blind on it, so it cant be as an ATV. Would that be still considered firing from a vehicle? To my understanding you can hunt waterfowl from a boat. Clarification would be appreciated.
As long as the motor is shut off you should be good to go your not allowed to chase down birds and water pound em but using a boat as a blind I don't think their is any problems I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong
Old 08-05-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
What about hunting on water from an Argo that is being used as a "boat" and has a blind on it, so it cant be used as an ATV. Would that be still considered firing from a vehicle? To my understanding you can hunt waterfowl from a boat. Clarification would be appreciated.
I'm really hoping to use my kayak as a duck hunting platform while here. I think as long as you aren't using a motor you are fine?
Old 08-05-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junglefisher View Post
I'm really hoping to use my kayak as a duck hunting platform while here. I think as long as you aren't using a motor you are fine?
Your allowed to have a motor to get where your going just can't use it to chase birds
Old 08-05-2013, 01:48 PM
Banned

Thank you for the info. It would be bad-ass to shoot from a canoe. Imagine hunting Brant and other shore waterfowl from a canoe on the sea? That would be fun.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointer View Post
Swims towards the shore every time just not the shore I'm standing on
Thats why I got my dog lol
Old 08-05-2013, 02:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thank you for the info. It would be bad-ass to shoot from a canoe. Imagine hunting Brant and other shore waterfowl from a canoe on the sea? That would be fun.
Just buy or build pontoons.
Or raft a couple of canoes together.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry maybe you should see a sea hunt. when the weather turns you would realize that you mad a very bad decision. besides Anytime I have chased sea birds it has been in minimum 2 ft waves with the odd calm spell.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:

Just saying.
Actually it is a rule.

From the Migratory Birds Regulations:

16. (1) No person shall hunt a migratory bird unless he has adequate means for retrieving any such bird that he may kill, cripple or injure.

Whether it is or could be enforced is a different story, but if birds were left behind and the excuse was that they couldn't get them then they might it charged with both.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:05 AM

Define "means".

My feet are a means of retrieving birds. You do NOT legally require any extra equipment or 4-legged companion to hunt ducks over water. That is fact I can assure you.

But you are right, you can be charged for both if you fail to retrieve and did not adequately try.

That should never happen. I have see guys strip and swim to retrive a bird that fell where it wasn't suppose to (wrong side of the channel, or in the pond).

Last edited by Canuk; 08-06-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Put the crayons away Canuk, I got it.

BTW I wouldn't think of hunting birds over water without my dog. Same as I wouldn't go grocery shopping with out my pants on.Or deer hunting with an accordion. It just makes sense.
I dont understand. I'm using my keyboard same as you. Crayons?

Good for you with the dog. I have one too.... doesn't mean i'm better or more or less legal than the guy without.

Can I test your dog to determine if it's an adequate means of retrieval? the majority of the dogs I see would fail in my opinion.

I will ignore your rediculous analogies...

Last edited by Canuk; 08-06-2013 at 11:14 AM.

Tags
ducks, geese, legal, water, waterfowl