Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-04-2013, 08:12 PM

Default Tannerite Legal in Canada?

hi i came across an explosive compound called tannerite, and its used for targets to shoot at. im just wondering if its legal to have here in canada and more specifically alberta. and one other thing, i went a step further to find out how its made and 2 main chemicals used are ammonium nitrate and aluminium powder and its much cheaper to buy the chemicals separately off the internet than to buy the actual tannerite brand of it. so what again im wondering is if i could get both those chemicals across the border without a problem and legally? any help is much appreciated. and in case your wondering im not a terrorist, im just looking to have a little extra fun while im shooting.

thanks!
Old 01-04-2013, 08:13 PM

Sure is....order some and have fun
Old 01-04-2013, 08:15 PM

also if you guys could give me proof somewhere on the internet that was written by the government
Old 01-04-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submoa_hunter View Post
hi i came across an explosive compound called tannerite, and its used for targets to shoot at. im just wondering if its legal to have here in canada and more specifically alberta. and one other thing, i went a step further to find out how its made and 2 main chemicals used are ammonium nitrate and aluminium powder and its much cheaper to buy the chemicals separately off the internet than to buy the actual tannerite brand of it. so what again im wondering is if i could get both those chemicals across the border without a problem and legally? any help is much appreciated. and in case your wondering im not a terrorist, im just looking to have a little extra fun while im shooting.

thanks!
Neither are hard to get in alberta.

The internet will give you recepies for it.

Tannerite cannot be bought in Canada, but the compounds...

-Billy Currington (People are crazy)

Currently retired from hunting due to injury, but looking to get back on the wagon in 2020. Up in Yellowknife and missing my Alberta home big time.

This is the kind of thinking we are up against, vote Conservative this election!

Full Thread: https://imgur.com/a/y7RARBC
Old 01-04-2013, 08:30 PM

Your gonna blow your eye out.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:40 PM

Smile Governments don't give permission

They just take it away. It usually works O.K. that way.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:59 PM

Boom haha Boom haha
That'll really improve your shooting skills
Hmmm.. .strange.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:52 PM

Search on here and www.canadiangunnutz.com the question is answered about once a month.

No it is not legal. Google explosives regulations Canada.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 01-04-2013, 10:58 PM

[sigh] If you are for real and not trolling - no. it's illegal and will probably get you a lifetime weapons ban if not some inside time.
Oh -yea, somebody, somewhere has logged this and opened a file on you.

Remember. If it's fun, the government is trying hard to ensure you don't get to try it. Whatever it is.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:53 PM

no i wasnt trolling i was actually serious lol, but now im officially depressed and want move to the states. if canada had most of the same laws as the states i would love canada 10x more.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:14 AM

Quote:
no i wasnt trolling i was actually serious lol, but now im officially depressed and want move to the states. if canada had most of the same laws as the states i would love canada 10x more.
I've actually tested it a few years ago, interesting stuff!
Cat
Old 01-05-2013, 12:25 AM

Where are you from? Obviously not Canada.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:15 AM

Hmmm, we've been using it for years on beaver dams. And I was at genessee once and the boys had lots of it, that was a very fun afternoon!
Old 06-21-2014, 01:25 AM

Default for sale here, Canada

https://www.marstar.ca/dynamic/produ...roductid=86104
Old 06-21-2014, 03:52 AM

It and Shockwave targets have recently got the go ahead,
However buying the compounds and mixing yourself is still a big no no, as then you are manufacturing an explosive.

Binary targets have only been shipping for a month and already ranges have started banning them due to the excessive noise and mess left by people who just want to blow something up. Even the best of us won't find all the pieces of watermelon left down range.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:21 AM

Couple of guys brought some out to the range last night. Fun making them go bang but not cheap.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:38 AM

Irunguns is importing it now
Cat
Old 06-21-2014, 07:09 AM

Don't take it to a range, without checking to see if it is allowed to be used at your range.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:26 AM

Quote:

thanks!
Ammonium Nitrate, good old 34-0-0 fertilizer. Mixed with aluminum powder it's called Ammonal, a high explosive commonly used in bombs during WW ll. Nothing to mess with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammonal

Even copper metal traces is known to sensitize bulk amounts of Ammonium Nitrate and further increase danger of spontaneous detonation during a fire,[QUOTE]

The Tannerite targets appear to be legal, since they are for sale, which is greatly puzzling.

Grizz

Last edited by Grizzly Adams; 06-21-2014 at 07:39 AM.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:58 AM

Default LFGA Shooting Sports Facility

SAFETY ANNOUNCEMENT - Tannerite or binary compound (sold under many brand names) or any kind of 'exploding' targets are NOT allowed on the LFGA Shooting Sports Facility ranges. Any use of these targets will be considered a serious breach of our safety rules and will be treated as grounds for revoking facility access and membership. Some provincial CFOs have officially outlawed their use on all approved ranges and a similar decision is expected here in Alberta. - Scott
Old 06-21-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer55 View Post
SAFETY ANNOUNCEMENT - Tannerite or binary compound (sold under many brand names) or any kind of 'exploding' targets are NOT allowed on the LFGA Shooting Sports Facility ranges. Any use of these targets will be considered a serious breach of our safety rules and will be treated as grounds for revoking facility access and membership. Some provincial CFOs have officially outlawed their use on all approved ranges and a similar decision is expected here in Alberta. - Scott
I expect that many ranges will soon make a similar announcement.Our executive is discussing the issue, and a decision will result very soon.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 06-21-2014 at 09:47 AM.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:52 AM

It has been legal for a few months now. There are 3 or 4 canadian retailers importing it now or you can order it directly off the Tannerite website.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:10 AM

"As always my friendz, have nice day".
Old 06-21-2014, 10:20 AM

I bought a case, I'd be willing to part with some at $15 a lbs if anyone wants to try it. Calgary local only. Yea it's expensive stuff but 1lbs make a pretty big boom and will guarantee a smile for the rest of the day.

From the dealer site .
Shockwave Exploding Rifle Targets are designed to be safe, legal, fun, and affordable!

Safe: Shockwave Targets are non-flammable, non-hazardous, non-toxic, and are very stable. The only way to detonate our targets is by a .223 or higher caliber rifle round (rounds exceeding 2,200 fps).

Fun: The LOUD, CHEST-THUMPING BLAST that our targets produce is comparable to a stick of dynamite! It is hard to put the AWESOMENESS of our product into words - you just need to try one to find out for yourself!

You must be 18 or older to purchase these targets. A valid PAL is required to purchase it.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:49 AM

I expect that many ranges will soon make a similar announcement.Our executive is discussing the issue, and a decision will result very soon.

x2^

You think the wonder children who shred backboards with a shotty, or what ever, are a PITA.
Just imagine what a few pounds of binary will do for your range maintenance woes.

If some CFO's have pooh poo'd it already, expect it to come to all ranges.

This stuff would be serious fun, no doubt about it, but the potential take aways due to damage, and noise, are going to push it out onto the bush ranges...... Oh can't you see whare that's gonna get us.

90% of the problems from 10% of the people as usual.......There goes more potential fun.....

There are no absolutes
Old 06-21-2014, 01:26 PM

Safe: Shockwave Targets are non-flammable, non-hazardous, non-toxic, and are very stable. The only way to detonate our targets is by a .223 or higher caliber rifle round (rounds exceeding 2,200 fps).

Guess I'd have to question that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_City_disaster

http://live.wsj.com/video/texas-fert...D-867CDEEDF11A

Grizz

Last edited by Grizzly Adams; 06-21-2014 at 01:38 PM.
Old 06-21-2014, 01:36 PM
Banned

Cool

My mate murphy luvs you guys. Fun explosives , cant say ive ever heard that usage from professionals. Half the knowledge , twice as dangerous I have.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
My mate murphy luvs you guys. Fun explosives , cant say ive ever heard that usage from professionals. Half the knowledge , twice as dangerous I have.
The tannerite in no more dangerous than the rifle you use to set it off. If both are used properly they are completely safe.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expmler View Post
The tannerite in no more dangerous than the rifle you use to set it off. If both are used properly they are completely safe.
Careful with that common sense attitude, you'll upset the nanny staters.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by expmler View Post
That is the sort of thing that people who should not handle explosive say just before they show up on the news.

And a stupid comparison.

A gun is nothing with out a shell and the explosive and the parts that make it is not handled, made, stored or used like a shell.

Bad compareason and bad thinking there I think.

Tags
border, canada, legal, shooting, tannerite