Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-31-2012, 07:57 PM

Default Remington 887 Nitro Mag Reviews?

Hey Everyone,

So I am just getting into hunting, specifically upland birds such as pheasants, grouse and partridges.

I am looking into purchasing a solid beginner shotgun, something that will get the job done but is not going to be overly expensive.

The Remington 887 pump action Nitro Mag is the shotgun I have my eyes on at the moment. (http://www.remington.com/products/fi...nitro-mag.aspx)

Can anyone give me some input on what they think about this gun? Personal experiences? Suggestions on other good starter guns?

Thanks!
Old 10-31-2012, 08:19 PM

Writer Randy Wakeman had little good to say about it and there are some very unfavourable reviews out there.
http://randywakeman.com/ClunkerOf2009Award.htm

That said I am sure that some guys use them to great effect and love them. I looked at a few and the plastic coating didn't enthrall me.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:04 PM

Welcome to the forum lred

Don't under estimate the Remington 870s... For the price they really are a great, reliable first shotgun.

You can try mine out friday/sat and see how you like it. Any chance you can take 1/2 day on Friday?
Old 10-31-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Writer Randy Wakeman had little good to say about it and there are some very unfavourable reviews out there.
http://randywakeman.com/ClunkerOf2009Award.htm

That said I am sure that some guys use them to great effect and love them. I looked at a few and the plastic coating didn't enthrall me.
Thanks for the reply and information! I haven't seen the 887 mag in person but I have used the Remington 870 and it seemed like a great gun.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:04 PM

I haven't shot one but have handle one. My brother was briefly looking at one. It looks like a heavy version of a toy gun in person and isn't the most comfortable gun to hold I found. A bad point I found was the slide release button is on the bottom side of the gun in front of where you load the shells. When you push the button you could have your finger jammed or smacked by the pump itself. I think if you saw one in person you would rethink it.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownTrout View Post
I haven't shot one but have handle one. My brother was briefly looking at one. It looks like a heavy version of a toy gun in person and isn't the most comfortable gun to hold I found. A bad point I found was the slide release button is on the bottom side of the gun in front of where you load the shells. When you push the button you could have your finger jammed or smacked by the pump itself. I think if you saw one in person you would rethink it.
I didn't realize there was just a plastic coating on it. I'll be heading out very soon to check out a few shotguns; the more I look into the 887 mag the less I actually like it! But we will see. So far I haven't had any good reviews from people.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lredman View Post
I didn't realize there was just a plastic coating on it. I'll be heading out very soon to check out a few shotguns; the more I look into the 887 mag the less I actually like it! But we will see. So far I haven't had any good reviews from people.
I got one and I love it, shoots great and it shoulders even better. These guys who claim to have there little fingers pinched by the pump and the trigger guard. I gotta ask how do you manage to do that?? I have had this one for close to 4 years now and fired thousands of rounds through it, never once getting close to being pinched.

Tags
beginner hunter, shotgun