Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-29-2012, 06:20 PM
Banned

OP:

I read your post four times.

Dude: You are suffering from information overload.

Have you ever even fired a shotgun. Be honest.

Are you able to try other guy's guns. That is the best way to start.

Give us a little more background on your shotgun shooting experience.

The guys on this forum are smart and know what they are talking about.

A little more information will help.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:41 AM

Default 3.5

Quote:
And calling a 3.5” shotgun a waste of money is dead wrong.
I guess I meant this in a different way. Too many green birdhunters equip themselves with the biggest gun and the biggest shells and figure they are ready for action. They find their way to the marsh or field and go through a box of shells and no birds harvested. Or they harvest a few birds that have more holes than Roberto Luongo. Kind of like the guys who shoot 3.5 black cloud at decoying ducks.

Whatever you buy, make sure and go out and practise, test your chokes, and hunt with a few seasoned hunters to help judge distance.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:19 AM

Millsboy, You really need to try before you buy. For a first gun I would recommend the Rem. 870. Get it chambered in 3.5" Just cause you can. And leaves all possibilities open to you. They are cheap. so you won't be into this for a big pile of money if you decide that shotgunning isn't for you. And if you get to goin places with your pump gun. You will find your way into a circle of people that has all kinds of shotguns and most will let ya try a few rounds if you express interest. As you go you will get a feel for what you really do and do not want. Have 8-9 years and over 26,000 rounds into my 870 before I actually broke it. And in my hands, That is what most would call A miracle. I take care of my stuff don't get me wrong. But when it comes to using it's gonna get used like a rented mule. If you really do want a semi, The favourite in the circles I run in is The Winchester SX3. Each to their own in the end. Your developed preferance is gonna be different then the guy standing next to you. Good luck.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:24 AM

Default Sxp

I just bought the new Winchester SXP, came with 28" barrel and 18" barrel 3 chokes, the wrench, and cable lock. Paid 475 taxes in. This one is only 3 inch but it come in 3 1/2" if needed.

This thing is fast, 3 rounds in 1/2 second fast. I pulled the plug and filled the tube with 2 3/4" and 3" at the same time cheap and expensive rounds, and never had any problems cycling, and a lot less recoil.

Chrome lined bore, larger back bore. complete tear down in seconds with no tools needed other then a pen to push one pin out to drop the trigger mechanism and remove the bolt, thats my 2 cents, and the reason I bought it, plus I find the coating on this better than the new 870.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/produc...sp?family=021C

Fowl Life
Old 06-30-2012, 10:57 AM

After many years of hunting I would not recomend an auto for a beginner. You must learn to shoot before shooting faster is of any importance. In reality an auto can become expensive to feed for the undisciplined. It is far to easy to find your trigger finger faster than your aim.LOL. That said I have been using auto loaders for 40+ years and love my 1100's. I have fallen to the shoot more faster syndrome a couple times and to get back in toutch with reality I would single load , to force myself to pick a bird and make it count.
A pump will make you slow down and think a bit, a single shot will teach you to make that shot count!!
I have several 870's and they are as reliable as it gets. 2 are from the early 50's , but now they need barrels for steel shot.If you can find one with a Mod choke you are good to go, otherwise look for one of newer vintage with removable chokes. Don't overlook a SxS or O/U double. I love side by sides and I had good results with a Mosberg Silver Reserve O/U last fall on ducks and geese.

Pete
Old 06-30-2012, 04:59 PM

As cat said 3.5 pumps are not fun. I shoot probably 2 thousand rounds a year of three dram trap loads and come goose season my 870. 3.5 still kicks like a mule and iam 6 foot 325. A guy dosent notice in the blind but practice at the range and your shoulder is pretty sore. If a guy wants to go that route I'd put a good recoil pad on the gun. My dad bought a bps a couple of years ago and it is probably the only other pump I'd buy besides the 870. Very nice pump and it only kicks half as much as the 870. Iam a self medicated 870 fan not as many as cat but iam catching up ! Make sure you pick a gun that fits right and your site picture is correct ultimatley buy what fits you and your happy with. When you do make your purchase I'd suggest getting to know the gun. That meens SHOOT lots and have fun good luck
Old 06-30-2012, 07:48 PM

Default Zero

Someone back there was absolutely correct. I have no experience and have no idea what I need. I am like a kid in a candy store and I want the big shiny one that costs more than the rest because that must mean it is better ... right?

It is the main reason I posted here with a bunch of people that know what they are doing. There is a lot of information on opinions, brands and models, pros and cons. It would be nice to go out there and shoot a bunch of guns and see what feels right but I do not really have an opportunity to do that, so this is pretty much the next best thing. I mean once I make my choice and start shooting, learning and getting into it then I will most likely get used to what I have and like it. I just want to feel informed before I make a purchase, that's all. Seems like the new models are coming out with recoil reducing tech and that seems like something worth investing in. If its not enjoyable then why do it.

Again guys thanks a lot of the replies its nice to have a group of people willing to help out the new guy so I appreciate your time and your consideration.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsboy79 View Post
Someone back there was absolutely correct. I have no experience and have no idea what I need. I am like a kid in a candy store and I want the big shiny one that costs more than the rest because that must mean it is better ... right?

It is the main reason I posted here with a bunch of people that know what they are doing. There is a lot of information on opinions, brands and models, pros and cons. It would be nice to go out there and shoot a bunch of guns and see what feels right but I do not really have an opportunity to do that, so this is pretty much the next best thing. I mean once I make my choice and start shooting, learning and getting into it then I will most likely get used to what I have and like it. I just want to feel informed before I make a purchase, that's all. Seems like the new models are coming out with recoil reducing tech and that seems like something worth investing in. If its not enjoyable then why do it.

Again guys thanks a lot of the replies its nice to have a group of people willing to help out the new guy so I appreciate your time and your consideration.
Check out the reminton M887 Nitromag, They are relatively cheap. They are reliable and best of all, anything in the 12gauge can be put through it now you just gotta decide on a choke, and keep an open choke tube incase you wanna use slugs on a deer or a bear
Old 07-03-2012, 10:23 AM

Shoot most of my ducks and rabbits with my grand uncles cheap Spanish side by side in 16. Long barrel and just fits me well.
Because of trap and skeet I got a Merkel 201 in 12 3/4.
I have an auto 5 in 12 pre war. Nice and reliable but full choke.
The newer ones have interchangeable chokes and they come in 20 as well.
Like the old designs!
Have an older wingmaster in 12 3" and a Winchester 12. Good workhorses.

Buddy of me shoots a new Rem 1100 and not all ammo is reliable .
Old 07-03-2012, 10:46 AM

So to summarize what learned folks here are telling you, if price is a big issue, get a pump. Rem 870, Winchester, Bennelli Nova or Super Nova were all recommended and are all good choices. Pumps are simple, always cycle.

Semi-auto if you have a bit more cash. Lower recoil than a pump as the action takes some of the energy to operate. Gas powered action can be a bit softer shooting than inertia (all other things being equal). Easier follow-up shots if required than a pump. But learn to shoot, don't machine gun the bird

3 1/2" chamber nice to have but not required to bag birds. Don't pay a lot extra for it, but if it's close to the same price, why not go for it.

12 gauge. You should have one. Everyone should. LOL

VERY important, as a few have said... get one that fits. Everyone says that but I always wondered what theat really meant. It should be comfortable. When you bring it up to your cheek you shouldn't have to bend your neck into weird contortions and wiggle around on the stock until you can sight down the barrel properly. I really wanted to buy the Browning Maxus but ended up buying a new Winchester simply because every time I brought the Maxus up I wiggled and had a sore neck after 6 practice mountings. When I brought the Winchester up with it's raised rib I was automatically looking right down the rib. Given that fit is important, an adjustable gun that comes with shims to adjust height and cast and also stock extensions is really useful.

Last edited by Okotokian; 07-03-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:46 AM

If you learn to shoot, you should never need more than 2 3/4" in a 12...
Old 07-03-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Trav View Post
LOL And you should never need more than a .243 to hunt big game in Alberta... but there are situations where sometimes bigger is better.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
If you place the pattern properly, a 2-3/4" shell will do the job, but many people throw more shot to try and compensate for not being able to place the pattern properly. Several trips to the trap and skeet range before hunting season, will usually be of far more benefit than throwing more shot at the birds.Catnthehat and I have a friend in common that hunts upland birds with a 12 gauge with 3" magnum loads, and he fires more shots for less birds than either of us do with our 20 or 28 gauge shotguns.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
LOL And you should never need more than a .243 to hunt big game in Alberta... but there are situations where sometimes bigger is better.
The only possible exception I could think of would be high pass shooting. But in all honesty, if thats how you have to hunt geese, you aren't doing your homework very well...
Old 07-03-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
For an all around gun, any action will do as long as the gun fits.
if a person is going to be doing more pass shooting and higher volume
( read longer shots) , then a semi will be better over the course of a day because of the recoil factor.

From a blind, weight is actually a good thing as well, because it absorbs recoil and you don't have to pack the gun around like upland hunting.

However, if you are jump shooting, a lighter gun is preferred by many .

I have shot many of the newer semis and they are pretty good for the most part, but no better IMO than an 1100 Remington, simply because to realize the difference one has to fire a lot of ammo to notice the difference.

I don't hunt with a semi, in fact I don't hunt very much with a 12 bore , and when I do it's a SXS hammer gun.
Most of my waterfowl hunting these days is done with a 20 over decoys.

Many if my friends use older 1100's or newer semi autos like the Maxis or Extrema, and they all think theirs are the best!

However, like EH11 stated, make sure it fits- most of the newer guns have shims and spacers to help with this.
Cat
Hey Cat, that's the exact shotgun that I use.(12 ga 2 3/4- but probably going to switch up to 3" barrel on it) I got it given to me, and it's an older one but works amazing for the rounds that have gone through it.

Last edited by GoneFishin'; 07-03-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:03 PM

I am in NO WAY a pro...

But I picked up a remington 870 express super magnum... 28" barrel... I know a lot of people aren't too fond of this due to its weight but I have really liked it so far... Shoots nice, and for a big guy like me it seems to fit quite nicely.

I also picked this up because it was only 360$.... shoots 2 3/4, 3 & 3 1/2...From what I have read it is a very versitile gun and you can hunt anything from waterfowl to deer..
Old 07-04-2012, 07:33 PM

Thumbs up Canadian Tire

SO I have started my collection of Canadian tire money, because I just found out that I can buy shotguns at a location in town. It will take a month or so of getting gas there and I will still have plenty of time to figure out what it is that I actually want to buy and will be in time for the hunting season.

That being said, anyone who wants to throw the odd amounts of Canadian tire money laying around into the pot to help get my first gun, I certainly wouldn't say no.

Currently for any of those keep score, The browning bps is the current pump front runner, as for the semi, it changes almost daily but like always it will depend on the amount of tire money saved and which happens to be on sale that day. LoL

Till then keep the comments coming I certainly appreciate the info.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:24 AM

Arrow Sold!!

Not sure who is still interested but I bought a Winchester SX3.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Not sure who is still interested but I bought a Winchester SX3.
Atta boy. Love mine...
Old 09-11-2012, 12:23 PM

Default 870 express

Im partial to my 870 express, 3" matt black synthetic stock.
Reasoning : well rounded all purpose gun that after I slipped and fell in a beaver run and filled with mud, I was able to strip it in the field with my leatherman clean it and continue hunting.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:05 PM

Why the SX3?
Old 09-12-2012, 12:32 PM

Thumbs up Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post
Why the SX3?
Personally I think its a good enough gun that asking why is kind of strange, but that aside, it has excellent reviews, was pretty much the best I could afford, chambered for 3.5, cycles pretty much anything without adjustments.

And just for fun holds the record for fastest shots, 12 shots in 1.44 seconds.

Most of that I did not find out till after, so the main reason was the price. LOL
Old 09-12-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Personally I think its a good enough gun that asking why is kind of strange, but that aside, it has excellent reviews, was pretty much the best I could afford, chambered for 3.5, cycles pretty much anything without adjustments.

Most of that I did not find out till after, so the main reason was the price. LOL
I just bought my first Shotgun like yourself and WOW is there a lot of information and reviews on shotguns out there. I have read for hours and hours on the different styles and brands and it can be overwhelming. I had my eye on a Beretta A400 Unico Xplor KO but at $1899 I found it hard to pull the trigger on a shotgun that expensive. I decided to go for a Benelli SuperNova to save some money but still go with the reliability of a pump action. I'm sure an Auto loader is in my future but new golf clubs will be calling my name shortly. Hoping to get on some Huns this weekend and test it out.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:21 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

So...what loads does it pattern best with???....what LOP does it have, they felt a little short for me when I tried them???....or is it the 12 shots in 1.44 sec (?) that sold you?........
Old 09-12-2012, 04:53 PM

I'm brand new to shotguns too.

I've been out a few times shooting clays with a friend and their older 870 wingmaster. It always worked well no major complaints, but I found myself tilting my head a bit too much.

I just recently picked up a Browning BPS hunter 3" 12g 26" and so far it's great. I'm no expert but as far as I can tell it fits my shoulder very well. The fit and finish is very good, action is smooth and the bottom eject makes it easy to find and pick up spent shells. I also really like the tang safety location. To be honest, I tried swinging a 28" barrel and couldn't really tell the difference so I went with 26" to shave a few grams and make it easier to pack in the canoe. So far it has broken every bird I've pointed it at.

Good luck. New toys are always fun!
Old 09-12-2012, 07:44 PM

Smile I've got a Stoeger too.

I started out life with an 870 and now have 4, an A5 and a Stoeger.

I got the Stoeger because you have to shoot steel at ducks, and I haven't solved my reloading problems yet for steel.

The main reason for the Stoeger was the action, believe it or not I have fallen over backwards shooting a double on both ducks and geese with the 870. The Stoeger action/Benelli is IMO a very safe system that will not fire the second or third shot if the shotgun is not held against your shoulder. That was reason #1.

Number 2 was that my wife wants to go goose hunting and we aren't very good shooting sitting down, a lay down blind would be even harder, so our beloved pump guns are out. Thus a safe low cost semi was required, and Stoeger fits the bill just fine.

For upland I use a 20 o/u and am thinking about a 28 ga.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:

Millsboy79 - I asked because you asked for advice and many replied with good advice.

Knowing what tipped the scale in favour of the SX3 purchase is of interest to those who were intetested enough to read your thread.

So yes the SX3 is a 'good' gun, but the question remains:

How did you figure out the SX3 is a good gun for you...other than price point and some favourable internet reviews by people whose body type may or may not be like yours?
Old 09-13-2012, 07:49 AM

Red face OH sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post
Millsboy79 - I asked because you asked for advice and many replied with good advice.

Knowing what tipped the scale in favour of the SX3 purchase is of interest to those who were intetested enough to read your thread.

So yes the SX3 is a 'good' gun, but the question remains:

How did you figure out the SX3 is a good gun for you...other than price point and some favourable internet reviews by people whose body type may or may not be like yours?
I went into Bass Pro, and Wholesale sports and shouldered the guns I was interested in, and from the list of ones I thought felt good I looked on here and the firearms canada site till I found something I thought was a good deal. I ended up finding a mint condition sx3 for a couple hundred under retail that came with a bunch of extras so I pounced.

I agree with a lot of the people on here who say you can have the most expensive gun but if it does not fit you then its not the best gun for you. Since I had no interest in paying 1600 for a beretta then I thought this was a good compromise.

So I guess the answer is test drive at the dealers buy from your "online friends" lol.

I am really not the person to ask for advise this is only my second purchase and the first was totally just for fun and cause it looked cool hahaha.

Best of luck finding what you personally like.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:11 AM

Just something to think about... I started shooting many years ago with a Cooey 12 ga single shot. Graduated to Remington 870s and Winchester Mod 12, model 25 etc. Thought I would do better with an Auto. Tried several - Remington 1100 and several Brownings. Found that most of the time my first and second shot were just salutes to the birds. I then tried real hard with the third shot but by then the bird was nearly always out of range. I finally got mad at myself and started taking only my brother's little 20 ga Cooey. Found I was shooting way less and getting more birds! I liked how handy the little 20 was. Tried a 20 ga SxS, found that I had problems with the wide sight plane. Bought an Ithaca O/U 20 and have stayed with O/U ever since. They cured me of the bang, bang, bang syndrome and I much prefer the shorter action, more nimble shotgun a nice O/U gives. I have a couple of Browning 12s, a couple of 20s - Ruger, Ithica, and Beretta. I still have a couple of pumps, but just can't get used to them any more.
Bottom line, I recommend the O/U most strongly.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
Check out the reminton M887 Nitromag, They are relatively cheap. They are reliable and best of all, anything in the 12gauge can be put through it now you just gotta decide on a choke, and keep an open choke tube incase you wanna use slugs on a deer or a bear
Also in terms of recoil and pump vs. auto loader the 887 will pump itself with 3.5" and almost pump itself with 3"

Tags
12gauge, advice, pump, semi auto, shotgun