Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-02-2012, 10:28 AM

Hello Mr Gunstore, I would like you to order me a case of Remington field loads in 16ga. I would like them to be #7.5"s or #6's. Thank you sir.

Not to difficult at least here in B.C.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearhunter338-06 View Post
Hello Mr Gunstore, I would like you to order me a case of Remington field loads in 16ga. I would like them to be #7.5"s or #6's. Thank you sir.

Not to difficult at least here in B.C.
I don't want to wait for ammo, I ether buy it or hand load it, I just ordered 4 bags of wads for loading my 16.
if I had to order ammo, I could be waiting upwards to 4 months up here.
However, i tend to shoot more in one week than some people do all huntign season, so hand loading is a must.
I still would not want to wait to buy ammo however.....
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 05-02-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:12 AM

When I buy something new to me, I like to shoot it right away and shoot it quite a bit. That means a flat the first week end or maybe the flat would last for the following week. The problem I see with the 16 is that there is no target loads made for it nor is their any cheap stuff like the 20 and 12 that can be bought anywhere. Yes special order may work if one has some fore thought, but often stuff like 16 gauge is only manufactured in small batches. It would not be unheard of to be told that yes we ordered it but we have been put on back order till at least next order. If you know where to buy it, buy lots if you like to shoot.

Please do not think I am knocking the 16, but popularity or lack of it has given the 16 gauge user less choice and quality ammo than either the 12 or 20. If you are a one gun person, with both the 12 and 20 there is ammo and guns that will preform as well and often better than what is available for the 16.

That said, if anyone has a sweet sixteen or a m-12 in 16 gauge, that they want to let go cheap, let me know

Last edited by covey ridge; 05-02-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I don't want to wait for ammo, I ether buy it or hand load it, I just ordered 4 bags of wads for loading my 16.
if I had to order ammo, I could be waiting upwards to 4 months up here.
However, i tend to shoot more in one week than some people do all huntign season, so hand loading is a must.
I still would not want to wait to buy ammo however.....
Cat
Same here. If I waited for WSS to wrestle up target loads in the weight I like I'd be as old as Cat when they got here.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:12 PM

I made a decision and got a 16GA Spanish Reno s/s from Tradeexcanada. Should be able to see how it compares to a 12GA and 20GA in a few weeks.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:54 PM

Well, I've got over 500 through my new 16 gauge since last Friday, and although some of them were heavy for me, they shot very well.

The load I settled on for targets however, is 18.5 grains of PB in a Federal case, with a BPI SG16 wad and 7/8oz of shot.
This is a very mild load that let's me shoot the gun without discomfort.

By that , I mean that this particular gun weighs the same as my 28 gauge side lock SXS ( 5.8lbs.), and a 7/8 oz load moving at better than 1,200PFS REALLY let's you know it's on its way!

It's as good a shooter as my best 20 I have and my 28, but all three of these guns were built to my specs so switching from one to another is not a problem.
The 20 however, is a bit heavier , as it is actually built on a double rifle frame, so I can push a load faster with less discomfort than my 16 .
I doubt however, that most people would find that little 16 of mine terrible to shoot, it's just that I can't handle recoil to any great extent.

hand loading in any gauge can get you into custom ammo which is not always available, and with weird gauges like the 16 and the 28, a real big savings can be realized if you shoot a lot.

Cat
Old 05-04-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post

hand loading in any gauge can get you into custom ammo which is not always available, and with weird gauges like the 16 and the 28, a real big savings can be realized if you shoot a lot.

Cat
Like for the new 10ga I bought today! That puppy is going to hurt with a big load... Haven't seen any clay loads for it yet. But I stopped at WSS because I remembered that they had a few bags of SAM-1's in 10ga 3.5". Cleaned 'em out

Tags
16 gauge, ducks, geese, shotgun, upland