Old 02-19-2012, 06:54 PM

Default Your opinion on electric powder scales

Ive heard theyre really sensitive to heat so im hesitant to get one
Old 02-19-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submoa_hunter View Post
Ive heard they're really sensitive to heat so i'm hesitant to get one
what kind of heat are you referring to??? I don't understand yer statement
normal temperatures where you reload should not present a problem, i,d more concerned about powder ignition and heat before i,d be concerned about the electronic scale going weird around heat
Old 02-19-2012, 07:06 PM

Default Lyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submoa_hunter View Post
Ive heard theyre really sensitive to heat so im hesitant to get one
I just picked up a Lyman electronic powder measure/scale. I am completely impressed with it. It is very accurate and speeds up the process significantly. This is a precision instrument and if you treat it as such, it should perform for you. I made a separate shelf for mine so that it is not subject to any vibrations or movement from my reloading bench. I also levelled the shelf. Let it warm up as suggested for a half hour prior to use. I randomly checked loads it put out with my balance beam and they were all very consistent and accurate. I've been reloading for years and am kicking my butt for waiting so long to pick one of these babies up. The Lyman has an auto repeat function that starts each progressive load as soon as you return the powder tray onto the scale. If you are concerned about heat, don't set it up where it will be subject to any excessive heat.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:23 PM

been using a lyman electric scale/dump since september and i won't ever use anything else
Old 02-19-2012, 08:04 PM

My RCBS is the first electronic scale sold by RCBS, and it has been very consistent over the years. I find it much quicker than a beam scale, and just as accurate.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:22 PM

Default X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayzor View Post
I just picked up a Lyman electronic powder measure/scale. I am completely impressed with it. It is very accurate and speeds up the process significantly. This is a precision instrument and if you treat it as such, it should perform for you. I made a separate shelf for mine so that it is not subject to any vibrations or movement from my reloading bench. I also levelled the shelf. Let it warm up as suggested for a half hour prior to use. I randomly checked loads it put out with my balance beam and they were all very consistent and accurate. I've been reloading for years and am kicking my butt for waiting so long to pick one of these babies up. The Lyman has an auto repeat function that starts each progressive load as soon as you return the powder tray onto the scale. If you are concerned about heat, don't set it up where it will be subject to any excessive heat.
X2
Couldnt agree more, my only regret is that I didnt buy one as soon as i started loading. RCBS Chargemaster is supposed to be excellent as well
Old 02-20-2012, 09:02 AM

Sorry tempature was a better word to use than heat. And i definetely am wanting to get one its so tedious doing it the traditional way
Old 02-20-2012, 08:15 PM

Default had troubles

I have the lyman 1000xp and it's terrible. just breathing near it sets it off.

I can't even repeat 5 loads consistently. it makes it pointless to even work up a magic batch for my rifle as I have no way of knowing that it will be the same if i make another batch in a different part of the year.

Could be a bad scale. Talked to lyman and they said to send it in and they would see if its the scale or not.

I hate it. I've been wanting to load for months now, but it's a complete waste of time until this gets sorted out. At least with a beam scale it will always be consistent cause as ambient pressure changes, the scale will change with it because it's mechanical not digital.

But I would love a digital scale that works.....
Old 02-20-2012, 09:28 PM

how often do you test and calibrate your beam scales? they can go out of calibration just as easily as any other scale out there
Old 02-20-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 REM MAG View Post
how often do you test and calibrate your beam scales? they can go out of calibration just as easily as any other scale out there
That is why they come with test weights.
Mine have never gone out unless they got moved to a different spot that was not level, then it was a simple matter of turning the screw.....
Cat

Tags
bullets, powder, reloading, scale, weight