Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-08-2011, 02:28 PM

Exclamation Fish And Wildlife Career

Hey

Just wondering if anyone has gotten into a fish and wildlife career, as I am getting interested in getting one. Looking at either going for conservation officer or some sort of management.

Any help would be appreciated. Just want some views on it and what others have done. How much you like it, pros, cons, etc.

Thank you

Old 12-08-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerrooy View Post
Hey

Just wondering if anyone has gotten into a fish and wildlife career, as I am getting interested in getting one. Looking at either going for conservation officer or some sort of management.

Any help would be appreciated. Just want some views on it and what others have done. How much you like it, pros, cons, etc.

Thank you

Tried that years ago, it didn't work out for me. Jobs are scarce, especially full time ones. Also keep in mind that the budget of that department is at the mercy of the current day's government, and SRD is not at the top of the list. I went to college at the LCC in their Environmental Science Enforcement program and I'd say that only about 1 in 10 students actually landed a job in that field. Most people that did get a job had to move to a different province.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:41 PM

Default Ouch

Ouch. Thats pretty harsh

I didnt think it would be that bad?

Mind you I guess jobs are scarce everywhere too?
Old 12-08-2011, 02:44 PM

I have a good friend who is a Conservation Officer. For him it's the perfect career. Like any other it has some hassles... dealing with drunks in campgrounds, etc. But then he goes on his multiday horseback patrols, snowmobile patrols, mountaineering courses, search and rescue training... things he would happily do for free.

Mind you, my wife is a teacher and loves her job the same way. Some people find their perfect niche. Most of us are just happy to have a "good" job.

But the earlier poster is right. He hires most of his full-timers from people that hafve worked for his group part-time for a few years. It seems difficult to walk right into full-time from school. But maybe if you are willing to relocate away from "prime" areas.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:54 PM

Great idea, however their resources are so small that it makes it tough to call it a career!!!
Old 12-08-2011, 02:57 PM

Default Resources?

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun2269 View Post
Great idea, however their resources are so small that it makes it tough to call it a career!!!
what do you mean by that?
Old 12-08-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Tried that years ago, it didn't work out for me. Jobs are scarce, especially full time ones. Also keep in mind that the budget of that department is at the mercy of the current day's government, and SRD is not at the top of the list. I went to college at the LCC in their Environmental Science Enforcement program and I'd say that only about 1 in 10 students actually landed a job in that field. Most people that did get a job had to move to a different province.
I graduated from Lakeland College in 1995 and completed the Environmental Monitoring and Enforcement program near the top of the class.

I have held several jobs in the field since graduation and currently I have been doing the work I do for nearly 15 years. I have always been able to live in the town I grew up in and I work from home travelling all over Canada, US, and Europe for work related training etc. Although most of my travel is in Western Canada.

Originally I wanted to be a F&W Officer but with the waiting list and the hoops to jump through I was better off taking what I did in school.

You can find a job in the field and with some luck you might actually like what you do after school

LC
Old 12-08-2011, 07:33 PM

The only experience I have in this is the really cool aspect of growing up with a fish and wildlife officers son...We played with all the baby rescue animals before they went off to a zoo(or so we were told) so growing up in a small remote town, we could go over there, and feed baby moose, play with baby deer, and all sorts of fun stuff. He had a baby black bear who's mother was shot that he brought home, and we could pet it if it was leaning against the side of the cage, but we werent allowed to put our fingers in the cage. He also had a lot of birds of prey come through, but they were usually only there for a day untill the bird lady picked them up. Her house was fun too, but she smelled funny.

He probably had thousands of dollars worth of mounts hanging on the walls too. Things we arent allowed to shoot, like birds of prey, one carribou, a grizzly, and various fur-bearing animals. It was really neat... I have to find an excuse to go visit him soon.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:00 PM

Graduated from Lethbridge College in 2000, Conservation Enforcement.

Worked seasonal for 4 years in some very remote places. When I did work closer to central Alberta it was campground cop busting people for liquor and pot. Not my thing couldn't look in the mirror giving tickets for trivial crap. When I couldn't get closer to working with the wildlife like I had planned, I moved to other environmental work that proved way more financially stable. Oh yes the money was terrible in enforcement work. I miss being outdoors but I have cherished the new experiences and people from today's work.

Road hunting is not hunting.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:14 PM

4 pages of opinions. Use the search function!

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ldlife+officer
Old 12-08-2011, 10:51 PM

Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckBrat View Post
Graduated from Lethbridge College in 2000, Conservation Enforcement.

Worked seasonal for 4 years in some very remote places. When I did work closer to central Alberta it was campground cop busting people for liquor and pot. Not my thing couldn't look in the mirror giving tickets for trivial crap. When I couldn't get closer to working with the wildlife like I had planned, I moved to other environmental work that proved way more financially stable. Oh yes the money was terrible in enforcement work. I miss being outdoors but I have cherished the new experiences and people from today's work.
what did you move on to then?

Tags
conservation, fish, management, officer, wildlife