Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-10-2011, 10:16 PM

Smile New Waterfowl Hunter Needs Advice

Dear Waterfowl Hunters

I am a new hunter and I do not know where to begin to find good places for waterfowl hunting. I am looking for Mallards and Canada Geese. I am thinking about using DUC locations until I get familiar with the flyways a little more. I have 3 questions:

1. Do you have any suggestions where to go within 2 hours of Calgary. There seem to be too many places to choose from.

2. Where is a good place to post to find waterfowl info and to find hunting partners as I am new to the hunting community and want to meet waterfowl hunters who are as passionate about Waterfowl hunting as I am.

3. What is the success rates of waterfowl hunters gaining access to farmland to hunt geese and ducks?

Cheers!
Old 02-10-2011, 10:33 PM

Well, I don't do a lot of waterfowl hunting, but I have done a bit of guiding! The outfitter I worked for runs out of Hanna, which is about 2 hours from Calgary! It is smack dab in the middle of the migratory paths! Tons of ducks, Canada, speckle bellies, and snow geese! You can5 pick up a county landowners map in Hanna, then all you gotta do is find where the birds are feeding, get your permission, and be set up and ready to go before the birds head out to feed! Hope that helps!

Tags
ducks, geese, partner, waterfowl