Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-04-2011, 06:20 AM

Default Dickson dam?

Just wondering if anyone ever fishes the Dickson Dam trout pond in winter? I've taken my kids there in the summer but I wasn't sure what it was like in the winter and if the pond is deep enough that they make it through the winter. Also if you have any reports of what the ice is like and how the fishing has been that would be appreciated too!

Thanks!
Old 01-04-2011, 06:27 AM

the dickson pond is okay to go to in the winter. i live close so i frequent the trout pond and the ice is plenty thick and the pond is plenty deep to keep them alive in the winter. but it can be hit or miss. good luck!!!
Old 01-04-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast 1100 View Post
the dickson pond is okay to go to in the winter. i live close so i frequent the trout pond and the ice is plenty thick and the pond is plenty deep to keep them alive in the winter. but it can be hit or miss. good luck!!!
Thanks outcast. Since u live near there, Do you ever fish glennifer in the winter? I wsd wondering if it froze up solid enough with the dam fluctuations?
Old 01-04-2011, 08:17 PM

no, i always wanted to try glennifer, but the ice scares me to much. it should be ok, being that the ice goes down with the water level but it may be hard finding them being that the vegetation has a hard time growing in areas with to much water fluctuations. next summer i plan on going out there a few times and throw the flies around and see what the lake has for winter fishing structure. maybe someone else has been out there, i see a couple shacks out there once in awhile...
Old 01-04-2011, 08:58 PM

I've heard from guys who have drilled into the ice on Glennifer only to see the water 10 feet down. A bit spooky for my liking.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:35 PM

My Dad caught 3 in a day there once. (Not very good compared to Phyllis)

Lethal Prostaff Member
Canadian Waterfowl Prostaff Member
Sillosock Prostaff Member
Pure Gold Chokes Prostaff Member
Lynch Mob Calls Prostaff Member
Wolverine Guns and Tackle
Old 01-05-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirsche23 View Post
I've heard from guys who have drilled into the ice on Glennifer only to see the water 10 feet down. A bit spooky for my liking.
Ha that's crazy! That's kind of what freaks me out about trying to go on there... i may pass.

Thanks!
Old 01-05-2011, 11:58 AM

we were on dickson monday 14 in of ice. bite was slow but steady 6 sm ones and one 27 in brooder in nice shape. not to many people out.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
I grew up back in Saskatchewan and had the same thing hap'n to us. Makes your hair stand up for sure.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15h...ec&usp=sharing
Old 01-05-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
If I saw that, I'd tie my camera to the line, turn on auto shoot, drop it down, snap afew, then run my arse off the ice.

My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it. ~Koos Brandt

Tags
dickson, pond, trout