Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-06-2010, 01:54 PM

Default Upland Bird

I've recently started with upland bird hunting. I have a huge passion for it but unfortunately I don't have much experience/knowledge for good spots. I'm looking for some help, for a beginner like myself. I certainly don't want any of your hot spots, but some advice would be greatly appreciated!

I live in the Edmonton area and have no problem driving an couple hours to go hunting. Generally, I'd need to be back within the day (i.e. leave Saturday morning, back Saturday evening).

If anybody has some pointers for a newbie like myself, I'd be forever grateful...or if somebody knows what steps I'd need to take to find some of my own hot spots.

Or even better yet, if anybody would let me tag along one a hunt! Probably pushing my luck now, I know.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:49 PM

Hey Citori, uland sure does get in your blood!!. i would say join the alberta fish and game...and maybe attend some of the edmonton meetings...i am sure you will find lots of info and willing partners there. plus more members always helps.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:15 PM

Yah, nothing like spending a day walking through our beautiful province and then eating our amazing birds! Especially on my fire pit

AFGA, thanks! I'll look into it.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:55 AM

Also get in touch with some of the field trial clubs in youre area, such as the Edmonton pointing dog club and go to one of there events and meet people with bird dogs and they also hunt with thier trail dogs.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:30 AM

Citori, depending which upland species you are after, you can head to most any FLUZ or public land and walk some trails through the woods in morning or late afternoon and flush birds as they are often feeding or pecking gravel at those times. Good luck and enjoy!
Old 08-07-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnhunter View Post
Citori, depending which upland species you are after, you can head to most any FLUZ or public land and walk some trails through the woods in morning or late afternoon and flush birds as they are often feeding or pecking gravel at those times. Good luck and enjoy!
x2

Just get out there, boots on the ground and gun in hand, be observant and start gaining the experience. Take a water bottle and an apple and have fun.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:49 PM

Thanks guys. Yah I plan on doing that. I have a pup lab that I've started training and can't wait to get him out. As for exact spots, my friend mentioned something about going to Crown Land. Thing is, is there a book that shows which areas are Crown Land?
Old 08-08-2010, 09:02 PM

buy a county map from the county office, everything in green is crown land, plus it shows who owns all the rpivate alnd also.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:15 PM

becareful when you are talking to people about 'crown land' and 'crown grazing lease'. if it is a grazing lease you must talk to the grazing lease holder to gain permission. if there is a fire ban in that particular county or the lease holder has livestock in that grazing lease he may not grant you permission. the last post is not 100% correct with the 'green means its crown land'. in my paritcular county green means that it is a provincial park and if you get caught hunting in one of those a conservation officer will throw the book at you. when you pick up your land map at a county office get them explain to you how that particular county marks crown land, grazing lease, parks ect....

if you have a young dog i recommend buying birds from a hunt club and starting your pup that way, then graduate to wild birds. your pup must know basic commands before you throw birds at him/her. just taking a dog out for the first time on a wild hunt is overwhelming to a pup and all it does is make you frustrated and the dog confused. start by buying a book. Delmar Smith has an excellent one. 'The best way to train your gun dog' Good luck!

Tags
edmonton, upland