Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-05-2010, 12:11 PM

Default Diamonds In The Rough.

Hey All,

I am a new member to the site, and so far must say really enjoy reading everyones posts so thought of posting a thread of my own, please forgive me if a similar one is already on the site.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just like many of the other members on Outdoorsmenforum.ca, camping and fishing has always been one of my favorite ways to get away from the hussle and bussle of life. I will never forget the summers with the family when I was younger, spending weeks at a time at Midway Centennial Park, which I think is also known as the Midway Reservoir (East of Carstairs).

Midway at one time was a Diamond In The Rough. During the early summer months people use to have to be out there early as it was packed every weekend and long weekends, trailers use to be side by side filling up the entire camp ground. It’s an incredible camp ground. The fishing out there (Rainbow Trout), use to be fantastic. I remember as a youngster pulling three or four out just at dinner time or in the early morning.

Midway is still one of my all time favorite places to escape to. Its there I remember fishing with my parents and sister, as well as my grandparents. Every summer I still try and get out once a year hoping that just maybe the fishing will be like it once was. Everyday I start my day fishing where my grandmother and I would spend countless hours. She’s gone now, and it seems like Midway is drifting as well. For the last couple times been out there haven’t caught a damn thing and don’t hear of anyone having luck either.

If anyone knows of the place and has been out there luck or not would be great to get some feedback on it. Honestly miss how fun it use to be and one day would like to see it back, and share it with a family of my own.

Was thinking would also be a great opportunity to use this thread to mention other great Diamonds In The Rough, which people may not know of. So if anyone would love to share please post.

Thank You,

JMilt.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:44 PM

welcome to the forum first of all....and my favorite place(diamond in the rough) would have to be in M.B though... Lake of the prairies.. and the connecting waters... like the surrounding dams and the assissippi campground. I wasn't that young when my family used to go( 16ish). we always caught lots of fish and a wide variety... planning a trip next spring...
Old 08-06-2010, 10:36 AM

Default Carters Camp

Up at Hines Creek and right on the shore of the Peace river. Free camping and as rustic as it gets. Probably my favorite place on Earth.

Tags
camping, fishing, midway, stock