Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-07-2021, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronneroi View Post
Absolutely love my two T3X's. Both are great shooters, especially considering how light they are.

That being said, I've always drooled over a Sako Bavarian... One day I'll pick one up and I know I wont be disappointed.
Until you try to use it with a scope and find out that what you consider normal check weld is impossible with that hog's back stock design...it is designed for use with iron sights. The drop at the heel also maximizes felt recoil.

Europeans shoot a lot differently than we do in N.A. They keep their heads up a lot more. A classic or Monte Carlo stock shape works best for most of us regular folks. I will agree they look nice, especially the full stock models.

My opinion, based on my experience, worth exactly what you paid for it.
Old 01-07-2021, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post
Until you try to use it with a scope and find out that what you consider normal check weld is impossible with that hog's back stock design...it is designed for use with iron sights. The drop at the heel also maximizes felt recoil.

Europeans shoot a lot differently than we do in N.A. They keep their heads up a lot more. A classic or Monte Carlo stock shape works best for most of us regular folks. I will agree they look nice, especially the full stock models.

Actually people with longer necks, rounder shoulders and woman do quite well with "hog back" stocks. My wife shoots a .375H&H and a CZ .22 both with that style of stock, they fit her well. And they are both scoped, as for me Iron sights or nothing on both of them.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 01-08-2021, 12:56 AM

[QUOTE=6.5 shooter;4304086]Actually people with longer necks, rounder shoulders and woman do quite well with "hog back" stocks. My wife shoots a .375H&H and a CZ .22 both with that style of stock, they fit her well. And they are both scoped, as for me Iron sights or nothing on both of them.[/QUOTE

Makes sense now. For years my wife and daughter both have told me I have no neck.
Old 01-08-2021, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post

I love my hogs back rifles and all are scoped. Probably the most accurate I own to be honest. I guess it all depends on a person's style of shooting and mine is certainly not textbook. I find they come to point a lot quicker but I tend to hold a straight stock high on my shoulder when standing, to the point where only the bottom half of the butt stock is making solid contact with my shoulder.
Old 01-09-2021, 01:16 PM

I have a Tikka, it is an older one with wood stocks (M65) and I wouldn't trade my Tikka for anything.
Old 01-09-2021, 01:33 PM

Have a hogsback on my Merkel K1, like it a lot. Not a big fan on the look of a Hogsback, but, it works well for me.
Not a big fan of bolt actions in general, but, for the first time in 25+ yrs, broke down and bought one for a range gun for retirement. Sako only had the TRG that interested me at all. Tikka seemed to have all the features I wanted for it, and considerably less money to boot. The model I bought has a couple of TRG features used on it as well. I found it hard to top the T3X options and construction for my purposes. Trigger options are great, no need for an aftermarket swapout, maybe a Yo Dave or McCarbo spring. Can even get a set trigger if you want one. Shoots good, lived up to expectations so far.
Old 01-23-2021, 01:02 PM

Default Made my choice - Sako 85 it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb274181 View Post
Got my heart set on a stainless laminate in Win .270. Now just trying to decide if I should splurge on the Sako 85 or save some cash and go with the Tikka T3X. What are the pros and cons that people have experienced with either?
Thanks for everyone's opinion! I ended up handling them both and found a price that was agreeable to me for the Sako 85, so that is what I chose. I've put 25 rounds through it sighting it in and I'm well pleased with the accuracy, functioning, and feel of it. Now its time to develop a load that it especially likes.
Old 01-23-2021, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Thanks for everyone's opinion! I ended up handling them both and found a price that was agreeable to me for the Sako 85, so that is what I chose. I've put 25 rounds through it sighting it in and I'm well pleased with the accuracy, functioning, and feel of it. Now its time to develop a load that it especially likes.

Always nice to see what the final outcome is. Glad you like the new gun, Sakos are great for not a lot more money than a Remington 700 BDL. They are a true Heirloom gun.
Old 01-23-2021, 01:18 PM

Quote:

You made the right choice. Happy hunting.
Old 01-23-2021, 01:20 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Congrats!
What caliber did you get 270?
and welcome to the Sako club.

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 01-23-2021, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
You made the right choice. Happy hunting.
Agreed 👍
Old 01-23-2021, 02:30 PM

You will definitely like the Sako I have a left-hand Woodstock i n 270 this is my third one should have never sold my other two 20 years ago

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2021, 04:45 PM

Default Win 270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
Congrats!
What caliber did you get 270?
and welcome to the Sako club.
I got the 270 Win, grey laminate stainless steel.

The action was smooth. The magazine release took a bit getting used to, but by the time I was done shooting for the day I had the hang of it.
Old 01-23-2021, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingfamily View Post
If I had the extra coin I'd go with the Sako...
Me too.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:43 PM

Sako. My 75 in 7rm is my go to with a bakers dozen including its cousins in the safe.
Hands down for me anyway
Old 02-27-2021, 04:54 PM

I have owned both

The Tikka was nice, the synthetic stock felt very very cheap and the rife never felt balanced. Other than that it wasnt to bad.

Owned a Sako, definitely felt less cheap, it was accurate and I liked it alot.
Old 03-16-2021, 04:25 AM

Tikka all the way. Same great precision at a fraction of the cost.
Old 03-16-2021, 07:33 AM

Great choice. If you had bought the Tikka, every time you pulled it out, you'd be wondering if you should have spent the extra coin on a Sako.

With the Sako, you'll never be wishing you spent less on a Tikka! You only live once, live it to the fullest!
Old 03-16-2021, 12:02 PM

Default Owned Both

Ive owned both Sako and Tikka. I have nothing negative to say about either of them. Same company owns both brands like (GMC and Chevy).

The Sako came with a metal magazine, the Tikka was plastic. For some people this is important. Others dont care. Both fed equally as well in my rifles. One of the advantages of the Sako magazine was that it could accept longer cartridges. So if you reload and like to chase the lands then the Tikka can be problematic because you may be limited in COAL by mag length.

I found that both produced better groups then I was capable of shooting most days. They are very well made and are exceptionally accurate right out of the box. Both come with a sub MOA Guarantee.

The TIkka is a 2 lug action but the bolt design keeps the throw very low and staggeringly smooth (for the price). The Sako is a 3 lug action and they claim they are controlled round feed. It is a very low bolt throw and is also smooth as butter.

You wont go wrong with either. I dont think the deer or elk will know the difference.

If I was making the decision I would likely go with the Tikka for the following reasons in no particular order:

Put the cost savings to the optics
Aftermarket Upgrades
No fear of using the rifle due to cost (not scared of wrecking)
equally as accurate

PS I know some will question the control round feed comment so hear is a video from SAKO

https://youtu.be/4kL5kJZL8X0
Old 03-16-2021, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
Cabela's in Calgary has Sako S20 SS Cerakote in 270 Win. $ 2049.99 20"barrel.

This is my Hunter S20 in 300 Win Mag 24" barrel.

Looks like Beretta c4 storm
Old 03-16-2021, 08:47 PM

I have a Tikka t3 in 22-250 and a Sako 85 in 300 wsm.
The tikka is a very good gun, shoots well, handles well, functions flawlessly, I like it a lot.
The Sako is just NICE. It feels more solid, it looks better, its just a better built item. It doesn't shoot any better than the Tikka but I just feel better carrying it, its just a quality firearm and the Tikka is nice, but not as nice.
Old 03-17-2021, 11:15 AM

I have many Tikka's, quite a handful of Sako 75's, and one Sako 85.

No question the Sako's are a bit more refined, feel a bit more stout, etc. However, they're essentially the same barrels and Tikka shoot just as well. Surprisingly, given the cheap feeling plastic Tikka stocks.

Sako 85, in particular the non-magnum long action (270, 30-06) and the XS (204 ruger, 223) commonly have problems with brass ejection. The spent brass flies up too vertically and either plops back in the chamber, or hits the scope windage turret. Richard Near (maker of the outstanding Near rails for Sako, etc) is very knowledgeable about this and there are many videos and forum posts. The Sako 85 recoil lug system is also not great.

If Sako is your choice, I'd strongly recommend a 75 vs 85.

Main disadvantage of Sako is the multiple action sizes. Good in the sense that a 223 isn't using the same action length as a 375 H&H, but the huge disadvantage that aftermarket stocks and accessories are much more rare for Sako. Tikka uses all the same action size for all calibers of course, just a long or short bolt stop by caliber. But any Tikka stock will fit any other Tikka. Ditto for bases, etc. Not so with Sako.

As an example, McMillan will now only inlet a few of their stocks for Sako 75 (yes, they are getting older now too), and only a few action sizes for each. Whereas for Tikka, you can choose from many models of McMillan.
Old 03-17-2021, 11:36 AM

Oh, and I also received a brand new Sako S20 in Fall. Was on a pre-order list for about 6 months prior to that.

I never shot the S20. Sold it within a month. I just couldn't get around how cheap and "plasticky" it felt. Great in theory - back to one action size, integrated rail to replace the old dovetail tops, aluminum skeleton in the modular stock. On paper, amazing. In the hand, not so good. Just felt like a very cheap imitation rifle, nothing like the workmanship of the old Sako A series or Sako 75.
Old 03-18-2021, 09:31 PM

T3X Lite in 3006.
Out of the box to the range, dialed the scope in.
After about 40 rounds it was 5 shot moa and banging the 500m gong.
Good enough for a elk killer.
Factory muzzle brake and a limb saver and it shoots like a 22.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F41638CD-A69C-47A9-A2EC-97B8DA9104E9.jpg (39.3 KB, 31 views)
Old 03-19-2021, 10:01 AM

Sako. 5 shot steel mag. Better mag latch. Nicer, better stock. I like the trigger better, although both are easily adjustable. Rings/mounts are more expensive, but they’re pretty darn good. Accuracy wise, you’re splitting hairs.
You’re paying for a nicer gun but dollar for dollar, you can’t go wrong.
Old 03-22-2021, 08:41 PM

Love my Tikka. 25-06 Moa and light to pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2021, 06:24 PM

I've had several of both, generally I really like older Sako rifles. The slight monte carlo stock fits me to a T, in a heavier cartridge that helps tame recoil for me. I killed several truckloads of game with a 300 Win Mag Sako AV. It was really accurate, I ended up picking up a McMillan stock and the Point of impact didnt change. Literally could look at the weather forecast and choose the stock.
The 75's are heavy, but my son used one in 30-06 for quite a while, very accurate.

The last two Tikka's I had were crazy accurate, like one hole accurate. I had a T3 hunter in 6.5 Swede, shot a 10 shot group that measured about 3/4 using two different powders and loads.

Both are terrific.

Tags
sako, tikka