Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-13-2020, 09:40 AM

Thumbs up Early Ice MONSTER Northern Pike (2020)

Check out this underwater footage I got of a recent trip out to one of our fine Southern AB reservoirs.

Have you ever seen Pike this finicky!?

Perhaps this sport fish is past due for a bit more respect among anglers!!!

https://youtu.be/v-Nddtuhvdshttp://

Thanks for watching!

Please Like and Subscribe if you enjoyed the content!
Old 12-13-2020, 09:44 AM

Link not working
Old 12-13-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Link not working
malformed link- Lose the https at the back of the link. It works.
Old 12-13-2020, 12:43 PM

I have seen pike that finicky lots of times. All fish can be like that.
Old 12-13-2020, 01:08 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-Nddtuhvds
Old 12-13-2020, 11:37 PM

Sorry guys! Typo! This one should work!

https://youtu.be/v-Nddtuhvds

Sent from my motorola one hyper using Tapatalk
Old 12-14-2020, 05:04 AM

Nope, not working??
Old 12-14-2020, 08:50 AM

All three links posted work for me,nice vid by the way. That was one tank of a fish!
Old 12-14-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter4ever12 View Post
All three links posted work for me,nice vid by the way. That was one tank of a fish!
Thanks a lot! I really appreciate the watch!!! She had some interesting identifying spots if you look closely. That would be awesome to catch her.

Old 12-15-2020, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUNKDAWGEH View Post
Thanks a lot! I really appreciate the watch!!! She had some interesting identifying spots if you look closely. That would be awesome to catch her.

Really enjoyed your video, actually went on to watch a few. Great job, a few vids you had me.yelling at the screen. Lol. Keep em coming.
Old 12-15-2020, 08:06 AM
Suspended User

Well, according to the regulations you were illegally fishing. You are only allowed one treble hook or up to three individual hooks. Reacquaint yourself with the rule book please.

Second thing, is your bait looked very unnatural in that clear of water. I've seen lots of fish who swam away from a stiff minnow. Pike haven't got to the apex being gullible. Good luck with your adventures
Old 12-15-2020, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDave View Post
Well, according to the regulations you were illegally fishing. You are only allowed one treble hook or up to three individual hooks. Reacquaint yourself with the rule book please.

Second thing, is your bait looked very unnatural in that clear of water. I've seen lots of fish who swam away from a stiff minnow. Pike haven't got to the apex being gullible. Good luck with your adventures
You're wrong. Maybe you should not be a **** head and read the regs yourself. "Hook" as defined on p.15 says a single, double, or triple.

P.20 says it is unlawful to:
"Use a line in angling equipped with more than three hooks (e.g.,
three hooks, or three single-hook lures, or one three-hook lure).
Use a lure in angling with more than three hooks as part of it.
Use a hook with more than three points on a common shaft (see
Important Definitions, Page 15)."

Can have up to 3 trebles on the same line. It says up to 3 "hooks" (remember the definition from P.15) on the same line or lure.

Reacquaint yourself with the rule book please.
Old 12-15-2020, 08:47 AM
Suspended User

Quote:
Originally Posted by koothunter View Post
You're wrong. Maybe you should not be a **** head and read the regs yourself. "Hook" as defined on p.15 says a single, double, or triple.

P.20 says it is unlawful to:
"Use a line in angling equipped with more than three hooks (e.g.,
three hooks, or three single-hook lures, or one three-hook lure).
Use a lure in angling with more than three hooks as part of it.
Use a hook with more than three points on a common shaft (see
Important Definitions, Page 15)."

Can have up to 3 trebles on the same line. It says up to 3 "hooks" (remember the definition from P.15) on the same line or lure.

Reacquaint yourself with the rule book please.
And those illegalities are what I'm talking about. In the video there are two three pronged hooks on the lure(bait).
Old 12-15-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
And those illegalities are what I'm talking about. In the video there are two three pronged hooks on the lure(bait).
Ya, you're allowed up to three of those on the lure as I explained above. Read it again, slowly.
Old 12-15-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
^^ This is NOT correct.

Quote:
Have you ever seen Pike this finicky!?
Just the big ones
Old 12-15-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
Really enjoyed your video, actually went on to watch a few. Great job, a few vids you had me.yelling at the screen. Lol. Keep em coming.
Awesome! Thanks a ton! This is the best comment I've got!!!! Cheers!

Old 12-15-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your comments Dave. I've read the regs thoroughly and agree with the others here stating that I am doing nothing illegal.

Old 12-15-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
^^ This is NOT correct.

Just the big ones
I agree on both your points lol, I was getting much more interest from smaller fish.... I'll be making a few adjustments for next time! Thanks for the comment!

Old 12-15-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koothunter View Post
Ya, you're allowed up to three of those on the lure as I explained above. Read it again, slowly.
Thank you Koothunter. I completely agree. Your interpretation is undoubtedly correct.

A treble hook, is one hook, with three barbs. Just like the large crankbaits that come with three treble hooks. Entirely legal.

Old 12-15-2020, 02:28 PM

Great vid.

Now go catch that fish!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-15-2020, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave99 View Post
Great vid.

Now go catch that fish!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you!!! Hopefully I'll rise old spotty here someday soon.

Old 12-16-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:

One of those times when someone gets really excited to crap on somebody else, and looks like a moron instead. The funny thing about it is that if you dont know some of the easiest rules in the regs and your attempting to call somone out about it you have no idea what you are doing. Also, then calling him out on bait presentation - what a hater.... almost must be a troll. Go spend your time doing something else man.
Old 12-16-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:

Swing and a miss!
Old 12-16-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:

Wow....this might be my first post on here, but listen to this guy. Why even waste your time typing? It was an awesome vid, I went and watched a bunch of his other ones and they were also awesome. This MrDave needs to relax a little. Pretty tough writing a message to try and make someone feel bad, especially when you don't know the rules yourself. Beat it.
Old 12-16-2020, 09:27 PM

Looks to me like classic line shy behaviour. Fish taking a close look. Seemed more interested on the bottom when hooks and line may be less noticeable.

Try wirebite or 30 lb fluoro?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 12-16-2020, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Looks to me like classic line shy behaviour. Fish taking a close look. Seemed more interested on the bottom when hooks and line may be less noticeable.

Try wirebite or 30 lb fluoro?
I was using 55 lb Maxima Flouro, but I had forgot just how finicky they can be in clear water. I'm thinking of switching to Seaguar 40 lb, ditch the metal and direct tie, and increase the length to my swivel. I'll let you guys know how it turns out whenever I get back on the hardwater.

It's hard to know exactly what is turning them on/off, but you're right, something about pounding sand seems to get em a bit interested at least...

Old 12-16-2020, 11:40 PM

Great video; I primarily fish pike and defend them when the people associate them with "coarse" fish,, and they are not just easy catch fish. Certain lakes they are super aggressive and others a bit shy.

There's a point in the vid where the pike releases as it has felt part of the exposed treble,, I no longer use trebles but a larger single. Regardless, I find that when I bait my herring with the hook more in the hill cheek I get more hook ups. I also don't do the double hook method as I loop the line going back at the belly and a loop again at the tail, this way it presents as a foraging fish and an easy target. Some larger pike hit the bait, release and second hit,, but, the love of the pike fishing is; just when you think your dialed in to their habits, something changes on the next outing. I've also come to the conclusion that if the herring has a flap torn exposing gut there is more likely chance of a big gulp. Tattered and torn.

Really nice leader material you can get from Michael's in the bead section,, I find it nice and supple during ice time.

Pike deserve more respect. When I see someone pick them up by the eyes,, hoh boy, or kick them into the water, or wretch the hook from them like they're working a barbed wire fence,,, they maybe stealthy alpha predators, bit they should be handled no different than the girly fish so sought after in the bow.

Disclaimer: girly fish is a trademark of Wayne Christie enterprises, and used without permission.
Old 12-17-2020, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankbait View Post
Great video; I primarily fish pike and defend them when the people associate them with "coarse" fish,, and they are not just easy catch fish. Certain lakes they are super aggressive and others a bit shy.

There's a point in the vid where the pike releases as it has felt part of the exposed treble,, I no longer use trebles but a larger single. Regardless, I find that when I bait my herring with the hook more in the hill cheek I get more hook ups. I also don't do the double hook method as I loop the line going back at the belly and a loop again at the tail, this way it presents as a foraging fish and an easy target. Some larger pike hit the bait, release and second hit,, but, the love of the pike fishing is; just when you think your dialed in to their habits, something changes on the next outing. I've also come to the conclusion that if the herring has a flap torn exposing gut there is more likely chance of a big gulp. Tattered and torn.

Really nice leader material you can get from Michael's in the bead section,, I find it nice and supple during ice time.

Pike deserve more respect. When I see someone pick them up by the eyes,, hoh boy, or kick them into the water, or wretch the hook from them like they're working a barbed wire fence,,, they maybe stealthy alpha predators, bit they should be handled no different than the girly fish so sought after in the bow.

Disclaimer: girly fish is a trademark of Wayne Christie enterprises, and used without permission.
Awesome, thanks for the tip on the presentation, I like it. I think you're right about those trebles after watching this behaviour, and you're certainly right about this fish deserving more respect!

It's interesting because I was talking to a guy from Europe the other day. Over there, "predator fishing" is really big, and the biggest predator has the most respect among anglers, the Northern Pike.

Over there they get called out if they don't have wetted unhooking mat for the fish... I wonder what they'd say if they saw the old eye-hold!

Tags
ice fishing, monster, northern, pike, underwater