Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-13-2020, 09:12 PM

Default Divorce,Handgun,rifle value,shotgun

Hello folks after 27 years the wife got a better offer and left. I need to get a real life value for my firearms for “disclosure of assets“. If anyone has a suggestion or knows of a business that will give me a value please let me know. Appreciate it thanks
Jim
Old 09-13-2020, 09:43 PM

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. You don't need an appraisal to disclose your assets in your Schedule A. Just put down the values the firearms would fetch today in an arms length transaction with another AO member. Whatever values you give she will dispute anyway. You can have that fight later.
Old 09-14-2020, 09:47 AM

You will be okay with Low Ball values, the cost you told her you payed for them years ago! It may be worse she may sell them for those same $$ value.
What is her phone number?
Old 09-14-2020, 10:20 AM

you have been here since Jan 2012 and have not contributed

please hire a auctioneer to give you prices which you will pay for as a valuation

had you done a couple hundred posts I would do it for free
Old 09-14-2020, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cement Bench View Post
you have been here since Jan 2012 and have not contributed

please hire a auctioneer to give you prices which you will pay for as a valuation

had you done a couple hundred posts I would do it for free
Think maybe he has bigger fish to fry right now? Sheesh, give the guy a break
Old 09-14-2020, 10:54 AM

he has a lawyer right

did his 450 dollar an hour lawyer tell him how to get a valuation that would stand up under scrutiny and court, apparently not

time to change lawyers as well

gave him the advise he needs and nowadays I ask for his internet ramblings and then decimate his values

works every time generally folks are really inept
Old 09-14-2020, 11:11 AM

You having a bad day Cement? The guy is asking for help, no need for the arrogant comments.
Old 09-14-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack'n View Post
You having a bad day Cement? The guy is asking for help, no need for the arrogant comments.
Cement has a point.

Some people contribute, some are sponges.

Help goes both ways.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-14-2020, 11:42 AM

Tough crowd today, must be the Covid Pandemic and the economy being destroyed is getting to people. I know it is sure getting to me. Spent the morning with my accountant going over business year end and filing taxes. Bloody dismal is a generous description.

But a divorce could certainly make things worse.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-14-2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Cement has a point.

Some people contribute, some are sponges.

Help goes both ways.
You must know my brother in law
Old 09-14-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
You must know my brother in law
Haha Zing!

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-14-2020, 03:07 PM

Default Wow.

So, what is the requirements for being "allowed to ask questions on here?
I don't know if you guys are just having a bad day or what, but bashing the guy for simply asking a question is uncalled for.
I've been a member since 2007. I mostly read, I answer if I feel I can offer something not already said.
Does that put me in the "sponge" category?
Are only the guys with thousands of posts, many which are simply repeating what's already been said, allowed in the club?
I came here for the first time in awhile, and these types of comments are the exact reason I go elsewhere to learn things for awhile.
Maybe you Elitists should start your own forum, then you can only allow others that are worthy of your time.
If you don't want to be involved in someone's discussion, don't. Simple as that.

To the O.P.
Not sure where you're located, but any reputable gun shop that sells used firearms would be able to give you real world values on paper, for your legal issues. Otherwise, doing some searching online for firearms like yours for sale should give you an average price, and you could make printed copies for your lawyer. Hope this helps you.
Sorry you're having troubles.
Ken
Old 09-14-2020, 03:20 PM

Default guns

I had to pay my ex half my guns value when she took a hike after 33 years.Funny I didn't get half the value of her shoes or purses.Life is fair like that.Any that were in the family or inheritances she can't get at.Sorry for your situation,I've been there.If she's out of the dwelling change the locks .....mine looted while I was at work.They are capable of anything and everything.Good Luck.
Old 09-14-2020, 03:49 PM

To the OP:

When contestant number one (she answered some tough questions and got some lovely parting gifts) and I split, we had to value the stable of vehicles. We did an internet search for the same vehicles with similar mileage and options, etc. We averaged the value and settled on a price that way.

If you don't want to go to an appraiser, I don't see why you could not do something like what we did - find similar guns for sale online and average the prices.

Just my $0.02.
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."

Henry David Thoreau

"And we'll drink but not to forget
But to remember instead
All our happy years."

- Lowest of the Low, Subversives
Old 09-14-2020, 04:07 PM

Default don't use

An arbitrator .........I did and she hid 300K then took 1/2 of everything on top of it.With a lawyer all bank accounts will be exposed.
Old 09-14-2020, 04:25 PM

To the OP , plan A.you must have a good idea of what you paid for them or if they were given to you that might be another deal where you need to just get a ruff price on them.

If there high end collectables worth lots go back to plan A low ball her, plus if you fell you never going back , give the price you thing is fair and move on. Divorce is a hard thing to go through and many just hang in there for pension or assets and ruin both lives because they don't have the balls to move on. Assets can be replaced ,but lives can't.

Myself when if I ever leave it won't be for trinkets or assets, I want my good boots and chow , start my new life .I couldn't care of the dollar value,think of your health and future that's the most important part. We lose all assets in the end, so go enjoy what is left.

I can help you with maybe some rifle or shotgun prices, hand guns I have never purchased.

Wish you all the best .
JD

Last edited by JD848; 09-14-2020 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-15-2020, 08:14 AM

Find a buddy that will "buy" the collection for a very low price and then sell them back to you when she's outta the picture!
Old 09-15-2020, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4K3OGH View Post
Find a buddy that will "buy" the collection for a very low price and then sell them back to you when she's outta the picture!
You are still on the hook for fair market value if you sell anything below fair price. Better off to have inherited or purchased them prior to the marriage.
Old 09-15-2020, 08:34 AM

Sorry to hear of your misfortune, Jim9547. Like JD848 says, the key is to make it through this. Many material things can be replaced, but a ruined life is something no one should have to bear.

You will make it through this, and things will get better in time.

Tags
divorce, handguns, long guns, shotgun