Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-25-2019, 09:15 PM

Default A pike tried taking our pike (video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEm29hcuHSA

Forgot about this video till today. Was from a year ago. Crawling Valley Reservoir, which has a 0 keep limit, so we were catching/releasing all day when this happened. Those fish are crazy in there haha
Old 05-25-2019, 09:47 PM

No video proof. But I netted a walleye that was 3/4 inside a pike once at lesser slave. The pike had swallowed the walleye up to its gills.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:28 PM

Happens more than you think. Ihave pics like this one and a few with just the last of another pike sticking out his mouth and still took my bait. I have a video we took last year of one head bobbing on top of the water choking one down and mouth was stuck wide open. Bobbed all over the lake until we finally lost site if it. It was a larger size too so must have been big in its throat.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:28 PM

One year we went to Haig lake north east of peace river and there was many pike floating on the surface with another pike the same size or slightly smaller sticking halfway out its mouth. Many pike like this were floating. I think the forage base had run out and they were trying to cannabilize each other. Guess they suffocated or drown somehow with trying to swallow too big of fish...?
Old 05-26-2019, 11:48 AM

When I was a kid (and before everyone had a camera with them all the time) we were fishing for pike. One of my friends caught a small one around 2 lbs. while reeling in he had about a 6 lbs pike grab that one. The second fish held on until they were both in the net.
Old 05-26-2019, 11:55 AM

Cool.

Thanks for posting that.
Old 05-26-2019, 12:42 PM

Nice video, and agreed this is quite common.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
Happens more than you think. Ihave pics like this one and a few with just the last of another pike sticking out his mouth and still took my bait. I have a video we took last year of one head bobbing on top of the water choking one down and mouth was stuck wide open. Bobbed all over the lake until we finally lost site if it. It was a larger size too so must have been big in its throat.
As often as you hear of this happening with pike, I think it happens at least as often with bull trout. I spend far more time fishing in pike waters than I do in bull trout country, I have yet to have a pike attack a fish on my line but have had bull trout do this 3 times to me. On all occasions it was mountain whitefish that they attacked, sometimes fairly large ones.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:42 PM

I have had them come up and hit a walleye that was on my stringer for lunch at the side of the boat. Also had one nearly get my hand as it hit the walleye I was reaching for to get off the hook. Then there was this one.....

This happens a lot. I have even seen a walleye come up and grab a small pike off the surface. You see some crazy stuff when you are guiding.

Tags
crawling valley, pike