Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-01-2018, 10:34 AM

Default Lower and Upper Kananaskis Lake

Has anyone fished Lower or Upper K lake in July? My first time going in July this year and may not even be able to bring a boat. I will be fly fishing but my wife using her spin rod. Anyone had luck on these lakes and what you used? Any info is appreciated! Not looking for anyone honey holes just an idea of what to use and where is accessible from shore! Thanks all, and good luck this year!
Old 06-01-2018, 01:55 PM

I'm by no means an expert, was up there about 3 weeks ago. The upper was still completely iced over, but it would be pretty easily accessible if it wasn't. We fished at Panorama which is the dam outlet and is a popular spot. I've heard people say if you walk from Panorama you can find some good inlets and the fishing is better. Didn't see anyone catching anything at the outlet, and the water was clear. Couldn't see any fish patrolling around.

Down the valley you can fishing for grayling in Wedge Pond, but i've never had any luck there either. I haven't heard good things about the Kananaskis River since the flood but there are fish in there, apparently.

It's beautiful country up there, enjoy it!
Old 06-01-2018, 01:57 PM

thanks for the tips! Ill really try and bring at least a canoe and get out there nor else check out a few side streams I guess
Old 06-01-2018, 02:26 PM

Both lakes are huge with lots of room to shore fish. The water is really clear, and if you can catch either lake on a calm morning, you'll see the cutties cruising the shoreline.

Bring your hiking boots, and go exploring!
Old 06-02-2018, 10:11 AM

Default W

Went there during May long lower k had low water levels throughout the lake. Don't fish where the dropoff is since its super snaggy. Still good to fish

Tags
bull trout, k lake, kananaskis lake, lower kananaskis, trout