Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-03-2016, 03:19 PM

Default 248 (Strathcona/leduc) Golden ranches moose hunting

Alright ill be the first to bite the bullet and ask. (and yes i have done lots of scouting)
both me and my father were drawn for the strathcona/leduc county 248 primitive weapon tag (me antler-less, him antlered) and have yet to see a moose during our season (Oct 25-Dec 7)

We mainly hunt Golden ranches out near south cooking lake and we have seen only 1 calf moose back in early October.. i've walked the entire property front to back more then a couple of times and have only seen poop, prints and an old model A or T... Still the few Canadian geese or Duck flying over head but NO BIG GAME

If anyone out there can help me out it would be greatly appreciated, i just wanna know if im wasting my time, when you put on over 35KM in two days on foot and see NOTHING...makes me wonder

(Send me a PM or post on here) if you have any advice that might help me and my dad put some meat on the table Im not looking to take your spot or kill the animal you're after, just a tiny bit of help since we got tag soup last year

Last edited by BiggieB; 11-03-2016 at 03:21 PM. Reason: spelling mistakes...
Old 11-03-2016, 03:59 PM

There are moose all over the county! The problem is access. Get permission on any big blocks of bush you can and go for a walk. Almost every quarter will have a cow moose on it or near by
Old 11-03-2016, 08:21 PM

If you seen scat and tracks they are there. I got my 248 moose I had been scouting all summer and never saw anything but mullie does. I put on some serious miles in there. Went there once every weekend for 2 months before I found mine. Don't give up. It'll pay off in the long run. You'd be surprised how well they could hide in a fairly small area.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:28 PM

High pressure areas the animals go where most men won't, same as Blackfoot....keep at it!

Tonnes of folks in the same boat in 248, if you have a place to hunt...you hang on tight because it can be gone in an instant.

Moose move in and out of different properties all the time, one day there another day not....one week there another week not. Patience and luck and right place right time.

LC
Old 11-04-2016, 08:13 PM

Default Yay finally signs

well i was out for a walk this morning after work at 8am, Saw 5 mulies, 1 chicken, and cant be sure but the way the bush sounded like a train was running away from me, Id say i final scared up my first moose even if i didn't see it

anyone ever seen any white tail in golden ranches? i've only ever seen mule deer and think maybe i should just start using my bow instead.....since i cant shoot a mulie with a 12GA
Old 11-05-2016, 06:36 AM

I've been hunting Golden Ranches for 5 or 6 years now off and on, (easy to get to with the kid in tow) and have only seen sign of moose, not a live animal.
Only ever seen mulie does as well, no whitetail. On weekends I always see other vehicles in there, so I'd say the hunting pressure is pretty high.
Keep at it though, because if there's sign they're there somewhere!
Old 11-11-2016, 04:10 PM

Default Mulies

when ever I drive past in the morning I always see mule deer hanging out in the fields where you can't hunt , have a few blinds set up but still yet to stumble across anything...
any body have any success stories from here this year? would like to know if the only thing taken out here are birds or not.

Gonna head up to calling lake next weekend with my dad...I am praying for snow!

Tags
248, aca, deer, hunting, moose