Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-14-2016, 03:00 PM

Default Starting out Water fowler/ DECOYYS

Kind folks of AOF

Looking for some info on the most cost effective way to hit the ground running as a water fowler. I keep waiting for decoys to go on sale and pick up a few at a time. At this rate I imagine it will take some time to get enough for effective decoying.

Is there a good place to buy bulk or are they the same price as the main stores?

Silhouettes vs. Full bodies?

How many is enough for Duck? and for Goose?

when you see the fowlers on TV they are running Huge spreads.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:05 PM

Most cost effective is hunting with another Waterfowler in all seriousness. Too many variables. Easier beginning season and gets tougher as the migration starts. You can do a water hole with 12 floaters and a mojo if u know what your looking for. Learn and you will know what you want to purchase after a season. We all like grunts for set up and take downs lol especially after 1000 plus snow set up lol. Fun game to get into. Won't be disappointed
Old 08-14-2016, 03:50 PM

I had an add a while back selling full bodie duck decoys and have some shell duck decoys left as well. They are good decoys I just don't use them much any more. I even use the full bodies in water shoots as well. I just cut small pvc pipe 3 feet long and the decoy sits on top of them. This works awesome with the decoy sitting high out of the water. It looks like they are all on a mud bar in the middle of the pond. You can even have them 2 feet out of the water and it works well.
Old 08-14-2016, 04:56 PM

I think basspro has 1 dozen mallards and a mojo on for $100, hard to beat. You'll kill ducks if you've got a pond to toss them in
Old 08-14-2016, 10:05 PM

Floating decoys can be used for water and field shoots. When it comes to shells vs fullbodies vs rag type dekes like the sillosock or the silhouettes, the debate is primarily one of space and cost. They are all effective, but, fullbodies require a lot of space and a lot of money.You'll get more for your money, about 2-1, and take less space with shells. Difference between shells and silhouettes and sillosocks styles pricewise, is near to 2-1 again, but the sillisocks/silos take less space again. When it comes to hunting snows, you need lots of dekes, so cost and space really come into the equation. I am in the camp that thinks that sillosock style Canada dekes have too much movement for Canadas.
Shot some great duck shoots with 1/2 doz dekes and some great goose shoots with 3 doz goose dekes, and had some krappy ones with hundreds of dekes, the right spot and good concealment, are more important than the number of dekes.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:41 PM

I spent several seasons jumpshooting waterfowl by cruising creeks in my canoe before I started using decoys at all. If you have a buddy along you can actually "drive" them this way since often the ducks will just fly a couple bends ahead of you and then land again. Break the creek down into sections, drop your buddy off in the canoe and go wait for him at the next access, then switch spots. Usually results in good shooting for both parties.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:36 AM

Smile Welcome

Well you are in luck. You live in Alberta. This is a waterfowler's paradise.

I haven't used decoys over water in years. Too hard to retrieve so if my son in law is with me we use a mojo and a couple of floaters that's it. The dogs usually retrieve more than we ever shoot. Do you have a dog? A friend with a dog? If not you will be out in the slough in waders, in the dark with a long stick trying to get the ducks you have shot. The slough bottom is very soft and hard to keep your balance while pulling your feet out.

Try it for a season and then you will want to get a dog (that was my experience 45 years ago).

There are millions of birds so the first year I wouldn't spend lots of $$$ on decoys. You can do better if you have a friend to hunt with and if you want to try geese, a mentor is by far the best way to go.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:56 AM

The season I started I had 12 shells I'd found in my dads shop... And I did the same thing, added to the collection with used 1's off Kijiji and whenever they'd go on a decent sale each year... Careful, once you start it'll become an obsession! Lol...
Old 08-15-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
Well you are in luck. You live in Alberta. This is a waterfowler's paradise.

I haven't used decoys over water in years. Too hard to retrieve so if my son in law is with me we use a mojo and a couple of floaters that's it. The dogs usually retrieve more than we ever shoot. Do you have a dog? A friend with a dog? If not you will be out in the slough in waders, in the dark with a long stick trying to get the ducks you have shot. The slough bottom is very soft and hard to keep your balance while pulling your feet out.

Try it for a season and then you will want to get a dog (that was my experience 45 years ago).

There are millions of birds so the first year I wouldn't spend lots of $$$ on decoys. You can do better if you have a friend to hunt with and if you want to try geese, a mentor is by far the best way to go.
I have a dog. a very good one. More dog than I am hunter in fact. He is one leg from his senior title and not quite 2 years old.

was never a big water fowler before we got the dog but he was to much dog to not get into. So here I am trying to get into. I did go last year a couple times and had minor success with ducks but none with Geese.

Thanks for the advise Everyone. I am a passionate hunter and plan to explore this world of migratory birds with the same commitment.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:33 PM

One of the biggest things is finding spots and getting permission. I have had lots of people without any gear ask if I would take them out. I have offered to bring everything they need. Guns, ammo, dekes, and drive my truck if they found a shoot and got permission.

It doesn't happen very often.

Are you more interested in water shoots or field?
Old 08-15-2016, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermag View Post
One of the biggest things is finding spots and getting permission. I have had lots of people without any gear ask if I would take them out. I have offered to bring everything they need. Guns, ammo, dekes, and drive my truck if they found a shoot and got permission.

It doesn't happen very often.

Are you more interested in water shoots or field?
I have no issues finding spots or getting permission. I haven't scouted much yet but am starting to see a lot more migrators starting to come.

and I have no preference of field or water.

if things line up ill send you PM if I find some good locations.
I have noticed a lot more PEA fields this year which could be promising

Old 08-15-2016, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
The dogs usually retrieve more than we ever shoot. .
LOL That's a good trick!
Old 08-15-2016, 03:21 PM

Grab a couple dozen silhouette decoys. I use Big Als, but most a decent. A couple dozen goose silhouettes will run you less than 300 bucks. That will get you going on field shoots. If its the water youre looking to hunt, grab a dozen floaters for $50 sold at most retail outlets. Easy breezy. All you need to get going. Youll kill birds
Old 08-15-2016, 03:41 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildside2014 View Post
Grab a couple dozen silhouette decoys. I use Big Als, but most a decent. A couple dozen goose silhouettes will run you less than 300 bucks. That will get you going on field shoots. If its the water youre looking to hunt, grab a dozen floaters for $50 sold at most retail outlets. Easy breezy. All you need to get going. Youll kill birds
^^^This....find the "X" and conceal yourself properly, you will kill birds with a couple dozen decoys in a good field.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:46 AM

Thanks for the Tips all

Old 08-16-2016, 10:10 AM

Smile How to get ducks without trying

You have a dog, he will get more than you can shoot. Find a lake near a big city show up after opening day, put the dog in the bull rushes along the shore. He'll bring you some cripples. I have always counted them in my possession but not my daily limit, and that seems to be in the spirit of the legislation.

As your dog plows through the shallow water he may put up birds, this is known as jump shooting, and it is lots of fun. Any thing that you hit he'll get. Aim about the bird and shoot at the top of the jump.

You guys will have lots of fun. A good hunting season will power up your dog more than a couple of years of training.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
I even use the full bodies in water shoots as well. I just cut small pvc pipe 3 feet long and the decoy sits on top of them. This works awesome with the decoy sitting high out of the water. It looks like they are all on a mud bar in the middle of the pond. You can even have them 2 feet out of the water and it works well.
Hey Nube, thanks for posting that. Great idea!
I use duck floaters, but my spot has seen tons of geese last 2 seasons so I was looking for some Canada floaters...they are expensive.
Any pics of that modification? I'm going to give that a shot for sure, as I have a pile of Canada shells I never use anymore.

Thanks Nube...I'm off to home depot!
Old 08-16-2016, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy honker View Post
I use duck floaters, but my spot has seen tons of geese last 2 seasons so I was looking for some Canada floaters...they are expensive.
Any pics of that modification? I'm going to give that a shot for sure, as I have a pile of Canada shells I never use anymore.

Just cut cheap 1 inch pvc plastic pipe. I usually have them about 2.5-3.5 feet long. I have put GHG full body duck and goose decoys on them out in the water. Like I said you can even sit them out of the water a foot or more and it makes no difference as the birds can't tell till its too late. Being up out of the water the birds can see them from longer distances as well. It looks real good out there and it looks like they are just sitting there resting on a sandbar. If nobody buys my full body duck decoys I will put them back up after the season.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy honker View Post

Google search making shell decoys float. I used Styrofoam years ago when I had no money for floaters. The pipe insulation seems to work too but I haven't tried that.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Google search making shell decoys float. I used Styrofoam years ago when I had no money for floaters. The pipe insulation seems to work too but I haven't tried that.
My buddy turned 4 dozen snow shells into floaters with 1" foam cut to fit an then screwed in the bottom of the decoy.works great we've killed a Ton of snows beside sheet water or waterholes with a feild spread in the spring an fall!
Old 08-16-2016, 11:26 PM

You can kill geese all season with 3 doz properly placed decoys with good homework.no need for 150 decoys so don't stress over numbers.and full body's are not needed,ya they look cool but over rated.biy the best you can afford an haul around!

Tags
duck, geese, goose, waterfowl