Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-04-2016, 12:17 PM

Default Efficient and effective usage of available decoys

Hello all,
I am new to water-fowling and looking for some advice. Last fall I acquired some floating duck decoys and I was wondering the most effective way to use them, be it together or alone. From what I've read on previous posts teals and mallards can be used effectively in the same spreads. However, my query is with the northern shovelers and wood duck decoys I have as well, and wether they would be effective in the same spread or detrimental to it. So should they be left in the trailer, or should they be tossed in the pond? (I'm currently organizing my carry bags and wondering what should go with what)

I feel the need for an emoji, and this one seems highly appropriate.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:40 PM

You are overthinking it in my opinion. As long as they are shaped like a duck you are golden and the more the better as birds see safety in numbers. They sure don't seem to mind fully plumaged drake mallard and pintail decoys in early September which is totally unnatural. Just make sure you are well hidden and play the wind. Having said that I rarely throw out more then 12 decoys on a water shoot anyway. But numbers do get the birds attention.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:24 PM

Spotting is more important for water hunting that decoys. I can do a puddle hunt and kill 4-6 man limit of ducks in less than 20 min with no decoys or one spinning wing decoy if spotted right.
Old 08-04-2016, 02:10 PM

I say just throw em out there. If you still feel wary about them put the woodie dekes in the back or sides of the spread. We regularly shoot limits with only a doz or so teal so if you have lots of decoys you could always just leave some at home.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 08-04-2016, 08:33 PM

Awesome, thanks for the advice guys. I just wasn't sure if some ducks would or wouldn't go around each other. Looks like I'll just be tossing them all out and trying to stay hidden.

Tags
decoys, ducks, spread, waterfowl