Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-17-2015, 07:39 PM

Default Dog Ramp

Hi all,

I've built this dog ramp and thought it might interest others looking to do the same. I couldn't seem to find many dog boarding ramp/ladder options in Canada. I've attached the plan that I loosely followed, as well as some pictures of the (almost) finished product. Keep in mind that it's my first time working with PVC, building my own ramp, and I'm not finished yet; I'm going to add a couple of carpeted platform steps.

Does anybody here hunt with dogs from a boat in deeper water? How deep below the surface should that first step be for the dog to be able to get in?
Any tips for running a retriever from a boat? General duck hunting tips with a dog are welcome too lol.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:17 PM

Looks good. What are you planning to put on there for steps? What about the buoyancy of the pipe floating up?

As for the depth, I would guess the deepest step should be so the dog can basically swim right up onto the first step. So with that in mind consider that a dogs back is basically at the surface of the water when swimming. So I would guess the depth needs to be the height of the dog (floor to top of back) below the water line. Just a guess...
Old 08-17-2015, 08:35 PM

Thanks for the reply Newf. I had read online that it should be at least 5 inches below the surface...so I measured and made it to be about 8 when at the front of the boat, and 12+ on the side.

As for the steps, I plan on installing chipboard or plywood, cut to size, and covered in a piece of carpet (all scraps I have lying around). It may not last many years, but it will buy me time to think of a more permanent solution. Floatation will hopefully be cured with a few holes drilled in locations yet to be determined lol
Old 08-17-2015, 08:53 PM

I think the wood might add extra buoyancy to the stair causing it to float up.

5" below the surface isn't much. Would be interesting to see how well it works.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:41 PM

Smile I had a simple solution

I hunted out of a canoe and had a BLF because they were smaller than a male. She would jump out to retrieve the duck and when she came back with the duck, I took the bird, and she made a circle, when she got beside the gunnel I grabbed her by the scruff and pulled up, she got her feet into the boat and scrambled in.

It was a simple solution and worked for us.

Tags
boat, dog, hunting, ladder, ramp