Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-03-2015, 11:30 PM

Exclamation Coyotes on the step...

Just heading to bed tonight, and heard some coyotes yapping and barking out back. Fairly loud, but a pretty still night, so I figured they were a ways off. It would usually die off after a minute or two, but it kept going on, so I figure I should check on the dogs. They weren't on the deck, but after a couple calls, they came at a pretty good pace, from probably a couple hundred yards away, for the time it took. I closed the gate on the deck to keep them there and started in with, the squeaking. Not 10 seconds later, 2 yotes come around the corner off the house, not 10 yards away from the back deck. When I yelled, they turned and trotted off as if they were only mildly annoyed. The wife saw a third, standing in the front yard at the same moment.

I have never seen them so bold, especially in the summer. Have had to call the dogs off on a couple occasions in the winter when I could see them out in the field, getting drawn out towards the treeline.

The fellas are totally non aggressive, so I don't put much faith in them to figure the difference between playing and aggression until it is to late. Keeping them on the deck this evening anyway... Might move the bow from the shed to the house for future urgent reference...
Old 06-03-2015, 11:39 PM
Banned

Can I come camp-out on your deck with my rifle ? LoL

Coyotes seem to be on a down-swing in SE Calgary, from last couple years...

Haven't seen barely any this year, maybe 3 since Xmas.
Old 06-04-2015, 03:56 AM

sounds like it time to get the 12ga out and a flashlight
Old 06-04-2015, 06:51 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbie_100 View Post
Just heading to bed tonight, and heard some coyotes yapping and barking out back. Fairly loud, but a pretty still night, so I figured they were a ways off. It would usually die off after a minute or two, but it kept going on, so I figure I should check on the dogs. They weren't on the deck, but after a couple calls, they came at a pretty good pace, from probably a couple hundred yards away, for the time it took. I closed the gate on the deck to keep them there and started in with, the squeaking. Not 10 seconds later, 2 yotes come around the corner off the house, not 10 yards away from the back deck. When I yelled, they turned and trotted off as if they were only mildly annoyed. The wife saw a third, standing in the front yard at the same moment.

I have never seen them so bold, especially in the summer. Have had to call the dogs off on a couple occasions in the winter when I could see them out in the field, getting drawn out towards the treeline.

The fellas are totally non aggressive, so I don't put much faith in them to figure the difference between playing and aggression until it is to late. Keeping them on the deck this evening anyway... Might move the bow from the shed to the house for future urgent reference...
This came up before, bold you bet but dead is better. At that distance a 22lr to the neck would end it. They got pups to feed and your dogs would make a good meal.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...

Tags
coyote, dogs